Gemini Protocol?

Any interest in Haiku mirroring its website onto the Gemini protocol?

I know i’ve heard a lot of historic interest in “lightweight” and “dark” websites. Gemini seems to fill both of those itches. I’ve also seen methods to “auto generate” Gemini sites from hugo (which we use)

Here’s a screenshot of the browser and a site from Linux:

We have the Lagrange browser in Haiku, and it seems to run really well minus a few minor bugs.

16 Likes

Yes! I’ve been surfing Gemini for the last year, and it’s amazing. Also Lagrange is a magnificent piece of software that I contribute to. +1 here!

5 Likes

hm… I took a look at our hugo site and played around with a gemini output type via Gemini and Hugo – Sylvain Durand Honestly, our hugo site is just too complex to cleanly + automatically convert to gemini via that method.

I had a little luck with gmnhg though.

We might be able to stand up a reduced gemini site :thinking:

6 Likes

I quickly whipped up a PR to hugo to natively support gemini filetypes:

Lets see if hugo shows any interest. This change isn’t required, but would make things a little less “roll your own”

7 Likes

Haiku + Gemini = <3

1 Like

tldr; zero interest from hugo.

2 Likes

Bummer. At least you tried…

1 Like

Also remember you can implement Gemini support directly in the Services Kit as I did for Gopher :slight_smile:

7 Likes

There is a HackerNews mirror here[1], maybe would be of help.

[1] gemini://dioskouroi.xyz/top

1 Like

I appreciate we get a recent version of Lagrange on Haiku, and I can confirm it is an awesome browser, with a great UI. It works well on Android, Linux and Haiku (haven’t tested on other OS but I suppose it’s the same).

I think gemini is simple, but efficient, for sharing and writing differently. We need something refreshing…

@bitigchi I can’t see your link. Maybe WebPositive is hiding it or something was wrong in the syntax. I suppose it was a gemini:// link? Could you post it directly? I couldn’t find anything related to this either on http or on the gemini search engine…

Edited. You can check out the The Treeblue Review[1] for aggregated interesting links.

[1] gemini://review.treeblue.space/

2 Likes

thank you. I’ve added both to my links. Since I can’t really synchronise my Lagrange bookmarks across all my machines, I’ve started a (private) link page on my own gemspace.

That would be a nice option.
Alternatively one could implement a gemini client also.
One issue i see with the current gopher support is that it doesn’t lend itself nicely to a native gopher client that /isnt/ webpositive since it translates to html. It may be nice to structure it a bit differently so that the protocol is handled by the netservice but the document itself is passed along as is. I may be able to handle gopher documents with the correct mimetype in WebPositive, maybe. :smiley:

I’ve tried out the Kritsall and lagrange browser available now. They both seem very broken… atleast not useable for me (Kristall jumps around when resizing, looses settings if you close the settings window) (lagrange has unusable scrollbar, no support for copy paste etc, a … hamburger menu (? not really broken the menu, just horrible design))

Also seems like neither of these install gemini uri as a mimetype… so “just” following gemini uris in the system is broken, makes it currently very hard to use.

1 Like

It is aesthetically wonderful.

1 Like

It was a quick and easy way to get things started but even for Web+ it isn’t the best design.

I think what would make sense is writing a translator for gopher to html, then Web+can use that when it receives a gopher document. And the conversion code can be removed from the networking kit then.

3 Likes

nods good enough for now. I’d like to auto-convert documentation to gemini, but this scratches my itch for now.

The certs might be kinda wonky… agate (Rust-based gemini server) hates the Lets Encrypt certs I’m injecting.

The idea is we can put whatever “low-bandwidth” things we want on lofi.haiku-os.org (gemini, gopher?, some “lite” theme of our our hugo website?). It seems to fit in with our sizable retro-computing user base.

btw… I’m not committing to have have everything on haiku-os.org http here… just a reduced minimal site with the “basics”. Gemdoc is kinda hard to wrange into from html / markdown

13 Likes

Posted a link to Geddit!

2 Likes

That is most interesting. Which web servers know the Gemini protocol?
Edit: I found them: gemini://gemini.circumlunar.space/software/

1 Like

That looks really good,much more lightweight than the normal site and still contains all important information.
The Gemini protocol is a great game-changer against mainstream Webbrowsers and sites becoming more bloated with every update.
It should be used much more and it fits great with the Haiku philosophy,so it’s good to see that the project goes a first step in that direction.

4 Likes

Lagrange is not “broken”, it just follows its own UI (the lagrage creator is a UI designer), the hamburger menu is optional, at least in the latest version of Lagrange, and for the copy / paste it’s using the ctrl+c / v, not the alt+c/v.

I personnally enjoy its design very much, but I concede it’s not “well integrated” into the OS.

The copy/paste thing is pretty annoying for me, because when I’m on haiku my brain switch to alt+c instead of ctrl+c. But it suppose it’s the drawback of using a recompilation of a multi OS tool, instead of developping everything from scratch (which can look awkward as well).

Aside of this, Lagrange is crashing pretty often on Haiku…

2 Likes