Game Development on Haiku (game engines)

My love2d game runs fine on haiku, I wouldn’t expect stellar performance though.

Hi, Thanks for reply,
Can you executing a Love game without Love2D framework under Haiku?

No, love2d is a lua runtime, without it the project is simply some lua code, though you can bundle love2d with the code to create an executable that can be executed as such, but i dont know of anyone that has done so.

Apparently EGSL IDE can compile to a Haiku App that’s interesting (I have try it and that work). But that use SDL 1…I had check for Pulsar2D That’s apparently use SDL2 but I don’t find any software about it on the web. Is this again in developpement?

Hello Kitsune64,

pulsar2D is a Framework. Markus mangold doesn’t will port them to haiku. His plan is to put it online, but he has no time at the moment. I didn’t find any software of pulsar2D. EGSL is the best way at the Moment. You can use EGSL on Haiku, Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows. All available on egsl.besly.de.

1 Like

I have make some search on web about tutorials for EGSL but is actually seem poorly documented over the web…I can’t find by example a lexic of functions with description like love2D. For now I am blocked about it I turn around on the besly.de website the only website that offer some document for now it seem. So for now Love2D seem an alternative to it more documented but the game can’t be compiled to binary.

Yes the situation of docs for egsl are all over bad.
The official docs are spare and part of my IDE. But we have many examples in the IDE too. EGSL is a dead language, because the main developer stop working on it to start working on pulsal 2d. But we deside to let it alive and ask to host it on out website. So we are the official website now.

2 Likes

I think all specifies commands are in the IDE and on the webside.
The rest is from lua.

I hope you program with EGSL. I start a little car racing game inspiered from lelldorin.

You are welcome to help us. If you have questions, write us. In the examples i found a lot of Solutions for my game.

2 Likes

Something I not understand is how can you use SDL2 in haiku 64bits because I don’t seen the libSDL2_dev hpkg that’s is in the 32 bit version I thoug.

You can, it’s just shipping love2d with the game code in one ELF file, I don’t know if anyone did that on haiku but it should be possible to do

https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/pkg/libsdl2_devel/haikuports/2/0/14/-/6/x86_64?bcguid=bc220-QKML

2 Likes

Hi, i think i found a solution.

The first test was ok. But i have to test it on a blank system. After then i write a little app to create binaries for love2d.

Regards lorglas

My test on a blank system.

Result: missing libs.

I think to generate a hpkg will be the best way to solve this, otherwise you must put the libs into a zip file and extract into non-package directory.

Hi Lorglas,

Wich way do you use to make a binary from Love2D project on Haiku?

Thanks for reply.

Also otherway to make game on Haiku is to develop game for DOS system and run it into Dosbox,

I have view differents tools to create a game on DOS on this page:
DOS Haven

It’s not the best way for a native game but it’s also a way instead of javascript and HTML5. I think it offer better performances than run from a navigator.

Hi Kitsune64,

i wrote a little Tutorial to create executeable files for love2d (available english and german)

Please look at besly.de.

It is on the startpage.

My plan is to write a little Editor and the option to create executeable files. Like egsl ide.

I have following the tutorial but it make me an error when executing the output file

the error is:
Not possible de open “theFile” the file is marked as executable by error.

Can you write me your commands. It can be that i have a typing error in the tutorial.

I updated the english version of the tutorial. Can be that whitespaces was in the text

I create a main.lua file, after I place it in zip file that I rename to main.love file. This last file run with Love command.

After
cat /boot/home/Love2D/main.love > hello
chmod 777 hello

And when I launch the app it give me an error message

screenshot1

1 Like

You forgot to prepend love2d, run cat like this for example

cat $(command -v love) dir/main.love > hello

1 Like

That’s it, thanks thats work :slight_smile:

1 Like