Game Development on Haiku (game engines)

Good day,

All these game engines are Web Based. I should try to test some “traditional”, though those imply compiling and tweaking, which I’m not familiar with, and written mostly in C or C++, both languages scare the hell out of me :scream: :scream: :scream:

Web game engines seem to work as long as they don’t use WebGL. Phaser and Kiwi.js (both javascript/typescript) seem to be the best options available, mostly because they support HTML Canvas and WebGL, so stucking to Canvas allows them to work on WebPositive. Anything WebGL doesn’t seem to work atm, therefore Godot Web Editor doesn’t work either… Godot devs even recommend using Chromium based web browser on Linux due to poor WebGL support on Linux Firefox.

We’ll see where can we go from here. I’ll add any improvement later on as it comes out.

Regards,
RR

The best what could happen is that Godot would be worked on and get a stable Haiku release.

1 Like

Or you take a look on EGSL :wink:

Or my game engine. It just needs finish writing the ToolKit bridge to Haiku Native ToolKit. But that’s not so easy. I find the API documentation difficult to work with and many things not documented at all. Loooots of guessing around.

@lelldorin, I did… :wink: Though it’s only for 2D and Lua based, which means… learn yet another programming language :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

@brunobastardi, true. Godot has improved a lot on Haiku since the first time I met it, thanks to Haiku tbh, though there is still a long way to go for stability. Fingers crossed… :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: for it to be usable in the “near” future. :grinning:

@dragon, didn’t know you have developed a game engine :thinking: which one? where can it be checked out? Wait, does it use C/C++ for coding games?? :fearful: :fearful: :fearful:

Regards,
RR

It’s here: https://dragondreams.ch/?page_id=152 . Currently the 1.5 release is being worked on with lots of performance optimizations and fully dynamic GI (compatible with OGL 3.3 onwards). While the game engine itself is C++ you never get in touch with it. Right now there exists one Script Module, which is DragonScript. This is an example file on how it looks like: https://github.com/LordOfDragons/deexamples/blob/master/exampleApp/data/scripts/ExampleApp.ds . More script modules will be added later on.

Right now the editor is not running in Haiku due to the ToolKit layer for Haiku not being finished. I once started working on it but got stuck at the API documentation and other quirks. The ToolKit layer is actually quite thin (one directory) with the rest of the editor fully cross platform. But yeah… API documentation scratch head.

Good day,

All right, sometimes I prove myself to need some sort of brain surgery, but hey… who doesn’t nowadays? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

pygame

This is PyGame framework running on Haiku. Actually it’s available in HaikuDepot. I tried again and again to install it through “pip” without any success, just to find out yesterday that was available right there… :dizzy_face:

Looks like it needs some sort of front end to make it easier to develop games “a la” GameEngines, nonetheless, it seems to work fine with the tests and some simple tutorials.

While I rather use Godot, this one seems like a nice option to use while Godot doesn’t gain stability on Haiku. I will check this out more thoroughly. :exploding_head:

Regards,
RR

3 Likes

Are you using 32-bit? Because I don’t see pygame available on my 64-bit system.

Godot 3.3 was officially released. I’ll post a ticket for the port.

1 Like

Good day @cocobean,

You know I’m always looking forward to test out your Godot work!! Kudos and thanks!! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Regards,
RR

@MrEntropy, I only use 64bit :wink:. PyGame is there in HaikuDepot, it also calls the needed dependencies.

Regards,
RR

Yes would be nice to see if this way is a way to go for Haiku…

Is it called something besides pygame?

screenshot1

screenshot8

I’m on the nightly (Haiku hawku 1 hrev55055 Apr 22 2021 06:23:41 x86_64 x86_64 Haiku
). And PyGame’s version is latest. 2.0, from the Haikuports repo. No idea what is happening here :thinking:

Regards,
RR

1 Like

Ah. I do. My “Show” was set to Installed. I think I’m gonna say, keeping that info in a drop down menu is a mistake.

1 Like

Using “pkgman search pygame” should have covered that :wink:

1 Like

Yes, but there are times when I like using the user presented tools for doing what I want to do. Also, if HaikuDepot didn’t find it, why would I expect pkgman to find it?

If I ever find the time, I’ll write up a feature request with a suggestion about having that more visible.

1 Like

Hello
You could also use gbstudio on Windows, mac or Linux to make GAMEBOY games, then move their ROMs to haiku so you can run them with an emulator like mGBA.
Also, it should be possible to have Wohlstand’s Platform Game Engine on haiku by building it from source.

I was going to mention that I was trying to build the C library raylib a little while ago but I recently did a quick search and someone’s gone ahead and done it :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi,

I’am interested by game developpement on Haiku but I hesitate between the availible engine. Wich one can compile a game without needing an interpreter if this is possible?

EGSL seem needed to be updated (it use SDL1) but seem a good way too. Something similar I had view is Love2D availible in Haiku Depot. Wich one is the best way about performances? Godot also but for Haiku I don’t know for now.

My two main questions:
*I’am interested by multi system compatibility. (Windows, Linux and Haiku).
*And Performances capabilities. (Certainly for 2D games)