Firefox esr for haiku

Oh good grief just let them get the dang OS complete. Yes, Firefox, Chrome would be nice. But I just really want the OS to to get to a “finished” state. It seems one of the Summer of Code students did a remarkable job with Webkit2. I have no doubt that PulkoMandy and the other devs will be able to get Webkit2 polished enough to make it into WebPositive. That alone will improve our user experience. That will have to be enough for the release of this OS. Adding features missing from WebPositive is probably easier than porting over a whole new Browser and I would much rather that then a whole new browser anyway. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Not necessarily, it’s also lacking the DRM components (and sync keys if you build it yourself). As additional context for @lordmmx, Google forked from WebKit circa ~2011.

Please, think about the consequences!

Do not play games with emotions for likes and upvotes. Do this only if you can deliver, otherwise you just harm the community.

Firefox port needs a lot more than some deps and the attached readme can create serious misunderstanding! Tell it clear about the state and about your expectations about the results what YOU can achaive and deliver.

Create a list about the dependecies, mark the missing or problematic ones, post the configure results and where it fails, but this “recipe” is a wrong way to create a buzz, it is just a non working recipe. We can provide something like this for every major software titles, but it doesnt helps at all, it just makes people belive in something what we cannot realistically deliver.

Please, don’t do this, i beg you!

4 Likes

I completely agree. @cocobean, please stop doing this kind of “baiting”. Consider this a warning, if you like.

I find this very important as this gives a false impression that makes others believe that “Firefox is ported to Haiku!, Yay!” when this recipe is remotely the case. I’m sure that cocobean/kenmays intended that is was an experimental or a WIP port but failed to mention this.

For a serious port, it requires Rust (which we have), GTK+ and some patches that have a Haiku implementation in Firefox. I think @cocobean probably needed to state that it was a WIP, rather than something serious and to list all of the required deps for others to attempt to port.

1 Like

NO, there are no packages announcement that claims anything of the sort or statement from me.

Warning or what? I didn’t bait anyone. I just pointed to something I’m working on - never said anything about a Firefox 68 package release working at any percentage.

Please refer : https://github.com/kenmays/haikuports/blob/36a1bfcdc6cfe634695967c31426241805863d90/www-client/firefox/README.md
(Edit: previous version for clarity)

The worst thing what can happen: somebody capable to chase this target down will say: “I don’t have to do this, as @cocobean already did it, he even posted a recipe and stated just minor things like audio/smb/sftp missing.”

And what we definetely dont want: to get this posted all around on the net, phoronix, osnews, and on other sites. That would seriously harm the reputation of the Haiku/HaikuPorts project.

If that happens you can change the readme (as you already did), but that would be way too late, you can’t stop the internet.

Please, do not play games with the emotions!

1 Like

See, that’s precisely the problem. I told you about that before.

1 Like

OK. Respected.

As the internet often says: “screenshot or it didn’t happen.”

You have posted a lot of these “things you are working on,” and the number that made it into HaikuPorts so far is miniscule. Actually I can’t think of any major ports off the top of my head that you really completed. So, continually posting about things you are working on, but then never actually giving the receipts, is “baiting.” Please stop doing it; that is what I am warning you about.

Thanks for understanding.

I actually have a (probably still ongoing) bet with @waddlesplash, he said i’ll get 1 or 5 USD (sorry, i forgot) if i get Firefox configured and the build script compiles at least one source file on Haiku.

Feel free to join and fight against me, so far i am unsuccessful, but i invested just ~2 days into it i think.

I also drop 5 USD into the bag, and i would declare it as an open contest for everybody all around the world. Get the Firefox build system compile at least one source file, post screenshot and the patches, and i wire the money! :blush:
And this contest could be posted on major news sites.

Happy hacking!

4 Likes

Indeed there are quite some problems with python to resolve when I looked at it… the env wasn’t getting setup correctly did you figure that out?

I think it should be possible to write a BeAPI port of GTK using the broadway HTML port as an example… it should end up very similar to the QT port. Alternatively

I think there may be some efforts to rewrite the UI in webrender which would mean… it would use less and less GTK and more platform agnostic rust code.

Talked about pyenv bug here: The current state and the future of Python on Haiku

It is / was a problem with some libraries.

Be/Haiku Backend for GTK is the way to go, but i didnt really understand much of the Broadway code itself (was designed to be server<->client implementation), but other peeps may do. Fortunately, “you” can test it after doing the port, just running a GTK example from the build process itself.

this was created as a question, i never said firefox was ported to haiku. again this is only a question no warning needed.wait sorry that reply wasn’t for me sorry just tired.

Ja też potrzebuję firefoxa

1 Like