Firefox esr for haiku

Okay. What’s that, then?

2 Likes

I have no specific data. But I can tell you how we could get that data. You (some one) need to interview the developers who are developing Firefox and Chromium. Investigate what those people are doing on the computer and what system features they are using or need.
If Haiku becomes a convenient tool for them. They will be able to work. The same goes for the situation with 3D support.

If we have enough users, we get chrome automatically by google :wink:

2 Likes

I think users go after developers, and developers go after best system innovations. And all innovations go after creative people works.
So, create, create where you can and want.
After all, creation are the best moments in a human life.

What? You want to somebody to create a Linux emulation layer on Haiku to run Firefox? Seriously?

Few developers are working for “fun” like we do when developping Haiku.
In the case of Mozilla and especially Google Chrome, they are paid development team and they have a commercial roadmap, basically “how do we get our product to as much users as possible so we can spy their data and send them targetted ads?”

So in that cases, it’s users first, and developers next. Google and Mozilla will not be interested in an OS with only a few hundred users. Unless these users are very vocal about asking for support, in which case they may take a look. And only then we have a chance of getting a report from them telling us what they need from the OS, and that’s where the Haiku developers can help.

But it has to start with users. If I were to ask a Google dev “what would it take for your company to port Chrome to Haiku?”, they will first reply “we need to know there are users to target there”. Only once that’s settled, we can expect to get into the technical aspects.

It would be different if these projects were driven by individuals doing things for fun or for their personal needs (as I’ve done with WebPositive for the last 5 years or so).

10 Likes

In the Old Day of BeOS, we had many Mozilla browsers made possible by those developers who decided to do the work, to get them working with BeOS.

Now maybe a second developer team might want to gang up to do the same porting over of some of the latest from Mozilla. Just without the copyright Mozilla names, like the old days of BeOS. If anyone thinks that might be fun.

Huge numbers of developers work for fun. Even just the Minecraft modding community completely dwarfs all of Haiku in terms of the people involved and what’s produced.

1 Like

i really do hope firefox gets ported or chromium that supports the extensions i use? :slight_smile:

Actually that rust based adblocker from Brave might work too… though it’s on the blink engine instead of webkit2. Purportedly it was a massive speed up for the adblocker though when they wrote it.

Granted OS development is more complex that Minecraft modding…

2 Likes

Classic chicken and egg problem… if you build it they will come though.

One really good browser like Web+ is enough… but a port of an independent engine like Gecko/Servo would be even better sometime down the road I suspect as the rust port improves and more of Gecko is rewritten from Servo it should actually get easier to port.

1 Like

I did contact firefox to port it to haiku but they have they have there hands full. But we can port it ourselves.

You could share the way you contacted them (social network, forum, email) so the others could do the same to show how many people demand it, maybe we already have a critical mass, they just dont know about it.

1 Like

We have our hands full with a whole operating system and another browser (WebPositive) to take care of. How can they be more busy than us when they work only on the browser and have Mozilla backing them?

9 Likes

You can try to catch some devs to port it, but they need to come from outside.

I may start playing with Blink on Haiku, as I’m building a browser based on it. Can’t guarantee anything though.

2 Likes

i don’t have any connections sadly ^^;

blink? never heard of it?

Blink is the engine powering Google Chrome (and the debranded Chromium, which is the same without Google logo on it).