Few graphical glitches on start and other concerns (trying out Haiku Beta 3 on USB)

Hello!

I just tried Haiku Beta 3 on my 32gb USB stick (flashed in balenaEtcher) and I have a few concerns.

On start Haiku set my resolution to 1024x768 while my monitor is 1280x1024. Not big of an issue actually, I just changed it in the Monitor settings and got my Haiku in full resolution. It also said something about VESA, so I guess we can count my NVIDIA GeForce 210 videocard as VESA-compatible for Haiku?

When I first tried opening the Teapot demo it worked fine (I even changed some parameters) until I closed it. When I closed it I got this glitch (sorry for screenshot quality):

Itā€™s the teapot from that demo, but left as a glitch on my desktop. When I moved my cursor on it or touched it with the blue selection thingy it just disappears.

The first few minutes of trying Haiku werenā€™t really different: glitches and long waiting for software to load (I guess itā€™s just my USB stick being slow, not the Haiku itself).

Then I tried the Sandbox thing?.. Not sure how it actually should translate into English, in Russian locale it was named ā€œŠŸŠµŃŠ¾Ń‡Š½ŠøцŠ°ā€. Worked somewhat OK but also had graphical glitches when drawing. Video

After some time it started working like a charm, just teared a bit (which isnā€™t rare for UNIX-like systems working on NVIDIA).

The question is: is any of these issues actually caused by my NVIDIA videocard? Or is it just a Haiku thing and not related to my GPU brand?
Also, is there a fix or fixes for these? I really like how Haiku looks and feels if not counting these weird glitches and I may install it on my pc in the future.

My PC specs:

• CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 (4) @ 3.00
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 210
  • RAM: 4gb DDR2
  • Monitor: Philips 1280x1024~60Hz

may add more info if needed

Thanks in advance for any help!

It is not related to your graphics card, those are just bugs in GLTeapot/Playground.
You can try beta4 test candidate HELP WANTED: Haiku R1/beta4 boot & hardware testing! and see if those issues are still there.
Also please use Trac (https://dev.haiku-os.org) for bug reports.

At least Playground bug is known #12059 (Drawing issues for rounded rects (in Playgrounds demo)) ā€“ Haiku

Are the test release candidates still available?
I cannot download them!

1 Like

Glad to know it isnā€™t my graphics card. 'll check beta4 in a few days, thanks for the link (also, should I complete the survey after testing or should I just reply here as well?)

They are indeed still available, but the speed is very slow. You need to wait for a few minutes or so for it to load and start downloading.

UPD: nah, download just fails for some reason. It starts, goes to a few percents done and fails.

Okay, so I decided to try latest nightly build of Haiku and it workedā€¦ better! It was faster (which I think is because I didnā€™t change my locale this time) and the GLTeapot didnā€™t glitch (maybe it is fixed already?), so Iā€™m not quite sure if I should report it or not. Should I?.. @Diver

Playground bug with rounded rects is still there, the 1024x768 resolution is still by default, screen tearing is there too.

A nice screenshot of my Live Haiku-nighly session:

If the Beta 4 test candidate be available for download I will test it as well. Currently the iso just fails to download after few percents done.

4 Likes

Iā€™d say unless you can reproduce it there is no need to report that.

You are also welcome to report your hardware to our hardware database:

Hardware List: Complete Systems - Compatibility / Hardware - Haiku Community (haiku-os.org)

1 Like

Just did it with another nightly image (hrev 56637 x86_64)!
Didnā€™t find everything about my computer, I guess Iā€™ll need to turn it off and check everything out physically to find out some info (like USB ports: I wrote some offhand information about those based on my memory, but the thing is that it is offhand and not 100% accurate). Or should I? I used inxi -Fxxxz output on my main machine (with Xubuntu) and listdev/listusb output while on Haiku, maybe there are more tools for it? Thanks.