Donation from amiga on the lake

This was sended to me in facebook.

"I wanted to remind you that Amiga On The Lake is willing to donate an AmigaOne X5000 and 2 A1222’s (when they are available) to Haiku to help to port Haiku over. Just put the correct person in touch with me when you guys are ready. they or you can reach me via email at: aaron@amigaonthelake.com :)"
Beautiful, i want one xD but it is for develop anyway :frowning: now you have the info there.

5 Likes

That is awesome of him. I’m guessing someone is unofficially maintaining PowerPC related dependencies, etc…

Also cool to see that MorphOS 3.10 made its way to the AmigaOne X5000 :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeh, would be cool to have an actual motherboard, like the good old days of BeBox, that the OS can be made for, instead of trying to find a needle in a haystack with all the X86 boards out there. I love Amiga OS… and dig PPC lives on. At least with Haiku on X5K and Tabor motherboards you have specific board to design for. Heck even the Xena can be a pseudo “Geek Port” like on the BeBox of old.

Would be so cool if this happened.

TJ

3 Likes

If only Haiku had at least one mad genius working on PPC port, part-time. I’d be glad to see one of these machines sporting some nice Haiku Beta 1 in the near future. Oh, wait…

To dream the impossible dream…

2 Likes

If we were to pick a reference platform, I think going with something with a CPU we don’t currently support, and which will be obsolete by the time we even get anything running on it, is not a wise choice. I prefer to put my time in getting affordable hardware to work.

We have one dev working on a port to the sam440. He is making slow progress on it and there is a lot of work. But it’s much easier to get x86 hardware and support that.

And as usual, our problem isn’t really access to the hardware… it’s finding enough time to actually get some work done on it. I wouldn’t accept a donation like this knowing the hardware would just gather dust for a few years before I’d have time to actually work on it. I’m fine with some other dev accepting the donation, however :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be a good thing if all the dev where working on similar hardware and with similar devices? Some kind of base hardware to work on. Trying to get those working? Wouldn’t it make faster progress then? Maybe you already do?! Don’t know…

No question diversity is the better way!

Hardware which would be affordable for most of the user?

2 Likes

Diversity is the better way.

First of all, each of us developers (and users, too) has a different preference on the machine we want to use. Some want a small laptop to use on the road. Some want a powerful workstation. Some just use what they can afford because they don’t have a big budget.

When I work on WebKit, I need a powerful machine, with many gigabytes of RAM and a lot of diskspace on an SSD. This is far from the typical configuration needed for a normal user. Also, the machines I use currently probably aren’t being sold anymore, so even if you wanted to get the same machine as me, you couldn’t.

If we agreed on a single machine, our software would get a lot less testing on any other. So we would end up with one well supported machine, and nothing working on anything else. This would further reduce our userbase because you could not try Haiku by just a download, you would need to buy a dedicated machine just for it. Who is going to spend hundreds of euros on a machine just to run an hobby operating system like Haiku? (ok,these Amiga enthusiasts may, but they already have at least 3 different OS to chose from!).

In my case, I just run Haiku on hardware I happen to own. Some machines I could chose (for example my desktop PC I built from parts), others people donated to me or I just got a very low price offer thanks to a group buy. There is no reason I would synchronize with all other devs - not to mention some of these machines may not be available in their part of the world.

So, a lot of added complexity and coordination, with the only goal of less support for different machines. Because of course when I get a new machine, the first thing I do is fix the drivers to get it running!

If you want a supported machine , just ask one dev (any of us) what they currently use. This is why we need an hardware compatibility database, so you can see the status of different machine and see if there is one that does everything you need supported.

3 Likes

I am not big programmer but i am obssesed with haiku and i am learning, i am reading and translating bebook to spanish(did’nt find it already translated) i want an a1222 to experiment on it(i want a port for wii too) it should be hard but i have some of time…

4 Likes

Agreed. I think it’d be cool to see a hardware dev put out a line taylored to Haiku where each supported architecture is represented by entry, mid and advanced levels. I could see potential in picking the best, supported hardware to be reused as much as possible thru the entire line.

you really can’t develop for x86 and not support diverse hardware, the pool’s too big. the hackintosh scene is an illustration of that.

2 Likes

And I might add that with the latest plan for Apple to switch away from Intel in 2020, the days of Hackintoshing may be over. :slight_smile:

Here’s a link to the story from Bloomberg.

1 Like

if that target were hit and they put out a workstation with a custom chip it’d still be another five years before you’d see the end of intel support

either way, comparing this project with a company with the resources to design and implement its own processors is a little weird

I’d love to see Haiku on a bunch more hardware devices, but we got to keep the focus on R1 Beta 1. We REALLY need a new release to attract more interest.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t that be R1 Beta 1?

1 Like

I’m still unconvinced about this. What we need is a PR team making press releases whenever something happens. The release will probably not do that by itself magically (after all, it could be just a git tag and be done with it). However a release may be a good opportunity to get the PR team working on something!

1 Like

A PR team cannot force people to care. The tremendous time between project announcement and R1 Beta 1 at this point might get the project a little bit of extra attention, once. “Look at these plucky guys, still working on BeOS. Remember BeOS? Will Smith as a pop star? Romantic Comedies with Tom Hanks in them? Ha ha ha, look how young I am in this photo”. That’s all you get. But some outlets might decide to hang fire and wait for Haiku R1, which Adrien says might be a further decade into the future.

1 Like

Or they could wait for R2. Or R3. Or not care at all. Or sometimes there is a random guy posting a “I’m experimenting running Haiku over a Linux kernel” message on our mailing list (without any code or other kind of proof of concept) and it makes to the headlines of phoronix, osnews, or whatever.

That is a problem: we should have some control on what makes it to the headlines there. We don’t do that by making releases, but by sending press releases to these websites (or anyone interested) telling them when something happens. They will happily relay it.

I do my best with the monthly reports, as well as a yearly report to the french website linuxfr.org (for Haiku birthday in august). But there should be more people doing this, and also bringing a more “outsider” view on things. The Be Newsletters were a good example of this in their time, with someone in charge of it and asking the devs to provide content for it. We don’t have anything like that, so devs will just silently work on their stuff. If you’re lucky one of them may visit the forums from time to time.

3 Likes