Do you seriously believe in Haiku as a desktop OS?

Then again, there’s a reason you took the time to sign up on the Haiku forum, write this long post, and respond to the replies, no?

I mean, we toootally could’ve used Windows and be perfectly happy with it.

@Muduxin

Why you are here??? This is a Haiku community and now you will find here people positive to this project. Go to a Windows community and Help over there to make your loved OS better.

1 Like

This has to be the most singularly ludicrous, ignorant post I have ever seen in a forum here. To say that an operating system is invalid because it can’t natively run software designed for other operating systems is to condemn every operating system. That’s a dumbfoundingly ignorant assertion. Please, do us a favor and…go…away! You do not belong, and are not welcome, in our company.

4 Likes

These impolite replies are somehow worse than the post itself.

3 Likes

I agree 100% with this.

Very well said.

If you have to or should solve a work on the PC, choose your best software for it.
It seems haiku is not for you.

@admins: please close this topic

1 Like

Then again, there’s a reason you took the time to sign up on the Haiku forum, write this long post, and respond to the replies, no?

I mean, we toootally could’ve used Windows and be perfectly happy with it.

Wanted to know how you will handle the lack of mainstream and important softwares like Microsoft Office or Adobe products, but apparently, you seem to do no better than Linux on this one and there seems to be frustration by pointing it out.

To say that an operating system is invalid because it can’t natively run software designed for other operating systems is to condemn every operating system.

You don’t get my point. The real problem isn’t that Haiku doesn’t run exe: It’s the root of the problem, yes but the problem are the consequences: No exe = No Adobe, Microsoft Office and other important software. People wanting to do serious work won’t use Haiku. I wanted to know If you had any serious strategy to compensate the lack of exe, but apparently no.

Windows Phone went down for the lack of apps and Haiku won’t be different If It has no strategy to avoid this.

If you have to or should solve a work on the PC, choose your best software for it.

Haiku shouldn’t be used as a desktop OS? Or is it not for work?

You mistake the kind of OS (desktop, server, embedded, RTos, etc.), with the fact that it could (or not) fit to your needs.

Not all the server OS can fit all the different scenarios. Not all the Desktop OS can fit in all and everyone needs. That is the reason that you had different ones.

Muduxin is on point regarding lack of serious apps for most professional and casual users. That is the reality today. However, in a decade the point will no longer be true. Haiku (and Linux) has early adopters. They improve daily. The corporate mega apps are on a path of destruction. I daily hear artists cursing Adobe. I hear admin staff curse MS apps. I hear my wife curse Apple. Their experience was better a decade ago. Compare the experience uploading videos/music to iPhone/iPad a decade ago and today without wanting to “sync” everything. Compare backups from a decade ago, where “security” locks out legitimate users. The “wizards” and dumbing down everything actually makes the power users less productive. It will get worse.

Open source will prevail. Whats really needed is the foundation of a “development pool”, where users chip in funds and the pool finances targetted open source development. Tthen you’ll paid development to keep up with corporate development, with less overhead (better efficiency) and targetted development of what users actually want. All open source.

1 Like

There are a lot of things to do to improve Haiku…but a shitpost gets 50 replies in less then 24 hours…

just leave the troll alone…

5 Likes

All the examples above do not reflect the notion of “desktop computer usage by normal users”. Am I missed something? Or what is your definition of “normal usage”? I assume this definition is “normal = what I (@Muduxin) usually do”.

BeOS and Haiku are used for professional audio editing. The first 3D capable graphics driver was available in BeOS (Voodoo folloved by nVidia) and after that it became available in Windows.

Well, do you research homework. Any new kind of hardware or technology (new architecture e.g. AMD64, new device e.g. 3D printing, new technology e.g. virtualization) is firstly implemented in Linux and after that is becomes available in Windows.

Chrome in this respect is not different from Firefox, it was available in Linux from day 1. And it beats both Internet Explorer and Edge in market share. So, it is an argument not for but against Windows.

Haiku is my Religion…

I don’t disagree that Linux and even Haiku can be good specialized OS. But a desktop daily driver, kind of needs to be versatile IMO.

Opening apps and plugging in hardware. Doing anything else than opening a web browser.

Most of what you’re talking about is back end stuff or technical stuff that most consumers won’t use.
And no, most consumer devices don’t have linux drivers. Nvidia optimus technology for example is poorly supported on Linux compared to Windows.
Go to aliexpress, buy any RGB keyboard and the lights won’t turn on 100% of the time. Hell, buy any other peripheral on Aliexpress and It won’t work or you’ll lack features 100% of the time.
The ASUS Zenbook laptop on Linux, I don’t even want to talk about it. Half of the features are missing

I can’t believe this topic even exists, you miss the point of Haiku entirely… it is meant as a successor to BeOS and even runs BeOS applications (on x86). Not every OS needs to try and match Windows for the average user.

By the way, even asking it to run EXEs and Windows drivers natively shows you understand absolutely nothing about OS development. Specially since you dismissed Wine, which is the only way to run Windows EXEs in an OS that isn’t an exact copy of Windows.

I suggest you take a look at ReactOS: it is exactly the open source OS you want: aims to completely reverse engineer Windows, having compatibility with both EXEs and drivers. Just be aware: it is a much older project than Haiku, but A LOT less useable. Reverse engineering is a daunting task, and when you try to reverse engineer a moving target things get a LOT worse. Btw since the project is old, its compatibility is mostly for Windows XP/2003 drivers. I don’t know it they managed to update their driver models to support Vista+ drivers.

1 Like

Opening a web browser will be sufficient once WebAssembly catches on because Windows, Haiku and ChromeOS will run all the same software in the browser anyway. This allows us to jettison decades of worthless bloat from the mainstream OS vendors.

The ASUS Zenbook laptop on Linux, I don’t even want to talk about it. Half of the features are missing

Sorry but this is totally wrong. Zenbook has been even selected (more than once) as one of the top 10 laptops to use with Linux.

You just disqualified yourself from giving any more comment in this topic since you obviously have not the slightest clue what your talking about. :roll_eyes:

Oh for Pete’s sake people. Stop feeding the troll. If you stop feeding it, it will go away.

4 Likes

You MUST BE JOKING and never tried one? I tried one in person and even asked for help for fellow owners and they couldn’t make the interactive numpad work like in Windows, you’re a troll and you’re inventing things out of your ass there

Yeah, you’ll play the latest Devil May Cry, Starcraft, Zelda or other AAA games in your browser /s