Do you seriously believe in Haiku as a desktop OS?

I have to laugh at windows people who get virus this way all the time. So glad Haiku does not run .exe files.

1 Like

What i think regarding this question is irrelevant.

Oh no :open_mouth:
We have been wasting our time for 20 years. Fortunately you were here to warn us about that!

Seriously, maybe Haiku is not for you. In that case I suggest you move on and continue using Windows if you are happy with it. What are you trying to achieve with this post?

10 Likes

Or go away and try to create this magical troll project… Have fun with that!

1 Like

Yes. You clearly don’t seem to be the target audience for alternative operating systems. So why bother? Just continue using Windows and be happy. Nothing wrong with that :wink:

You are describing communism, not fascism. What you think fascism is has been feed to you by communists; it’s a lie.

Fascism is nationalism. In a fascist society, all acts that are beneficial to its citizens are allowed and encouraged, but detrimental acts are forbidden. Want to start a company and make money? Fine, you can become filthy rich as long as your company is beneficial to its citizens, you treat your employees well and pay them a living salary. If not, the state will shut down your company.

Communists hate fascism and has therefor told you a lie about what fascism really is. Start question your reality, especially when you live in a totalitarian state run by communists.

The same communists are the ones that are attacking open source software. They use “gender equality” (which in reality is gender inequality) and similar nonsense as their attack vector. Haiku is not spared.

1 Like

While I certainly don’t agree with your definitions of either fascism or communism I think there is good reason why we should stay away from politics in this forum and this project as much as possible.

1 Like

You forgot to mention the reason.

I would love to not talk politics since I despise it with a passion. But because the open source movement is under attack for ideological and political reasons, I need to be able to defend the movement.

Actually it’s a waste of time trying to defend it from this kind of people. They are so brainwashed no sane argument is reaching them anyways :roll_eyes: . Time better spend doing it better than what they are used to in their tiny-shiny cage they live in :smiley:

Or spend some time in irony:

Haiku can execute exe files, because haiku’s compiled programs are executable too. They only need no suffix on every file :wink:

Apps will soon be written for WebAssembly and run independently of host platform. If you want to be tethered to a ho-hum been-there OS that performs like a ho-hum been-there OS that’s on you. I prefer that my OSs (yes plural) be light-weight, agile and performance driven. Windows, Mac and Linux don’t compete well in any of those metrics.

Isn’t there a recipe for nodejs in haikuports already? I thought so but never looked into it. I don’t like JavaScript. It’s a pain to work with… especially debugging “why do I get undefined here?!”.

1 Like

Hi!

I have to remember some of you about the forum rules (https://www.haiku-os.org/community/organization/policies/), in particular:

• Users are to refrain from delving into discussions about religion, politics, gender, ethnicity, etc. Try to stick to vi vs. emacs for off-topic fun…

Several person have flagged the initial post as inappropriate. I have decided to leave it online, it’s a valid opinion even if possibly of not much use. There may be no need for each of us to state our disagreement with essentually the same arguments, and it seems unlikely that the original poster will change their mind about it. I suggest not wasting more of your time in this :slight_smile:

Have a nice day everyone!

3 Likes

Because it is off topic here. We are all here because of a common interest of developing and using a certain operation system and applications written for it. Right?

I don’t know what you mean by that exactly but I`m sure there are many places on the web that are better suited for discussions about open source and politics than here.

Well, it is needless to response to original author of this post. But many of his asserts are plainly wrong.

You can find in this forum people who already use Haiku as their daily drive. So, they feel Haiku is suitable for their desktop needs.

Novadays, almost all serious software is written firstly and primarily in Linux / Android / MacOS / iOS and after that it is ported to Windows. Usually Windows port is slower, has more bugs and is more bloatware than in other OSes. This is the reason of recently decision of Microsoft to include Linux Subsystem in Windows. It is kind of anti-wine, because it runs native Linux executables (buggy) in Windows.
Second, Windows lost the status of absolute hardware supporting OS somewhere in 2005. Novadays all new pieces of hardware are supported in Linux earlier than in Windows. Often Linux drivers are more stable and reliable than Windows ones.
Third, please don’t speak about bug-free experience in context of Windows.

This is opposite to actual present movements. Valve, Netflix, etc offer native Linux support. This is because 0,00001% market share is plainly wrong. Microsoft for marketing purposes counts as Linux (MacOS / Haiku) users only those people who don’t have Windows installed. But waste majority have multiple OSes. They are out of numbers according to Microsoft.

Well, you probably know that Firefox market share superseded MS Internet Explorer and Blender superseded any other software in its professional segment. All these are due to and not despite the fact they are open source. I create PDF documents with 6000+ pages with tens of links each 3-5 lines. I would like to know if this can be done in any of Adobe’s product. And even if it would be possible, the document probably would weight 1.5 GB. With TexLive it is 60 MB. If I take the links away, it is 40 MB. And I can open it with any PDF viewer in whatever OS. Needless to say, TexLive is easily ported to many OSes, unlike Adobe InDesign foe example.

This works also the opposite way. If somebody with Windows and Linux chooses hardware for his new computer, he / she will choose one which supports both Windows and Linux. And he / she observes, for example, that NVIDIA graphics card works in Windows almost the same as in Linux, but AMD one works better in Linux than in Windows, because AMD is more open towards open source. So he / she decides to buy AMD rather than NVIDIA. It wouldn’t be a big deal if such a people are only 0,00001% of market share (although even in such a case this is a lost in sales for NVIDIA), but they observe surprisely that about 1/3 of market share tends towards AMD on the same reasoning.

Now, I ask you: Do you seriously believe Windows performance is in pair with Haiku’s? Majority of Haiku users appreciate Haiku because of performance.

You are probably not a programmer, are you? For real programmers the OS architecture matters the most. And when is comes to writing portable applications (GUI, Web, etc), one immediately observes he can port his software across many OSes with just few lines, but specially for Windows he has to reimpliment 1/4 or 1/3 of his project. And this draws developers away of Windows.

The rules do not forbid discussions about politics, they only refrain from delving into them.

I think the rules should be changed to explicitly allow discussions about politics when they affect Haiku, which my comment was about. You did notice that and allowed the comment. I thank you for it.

1 Like

Yes, this was just a preventive reminder before the discussion derails too far in that direction :slight_smile: It’s already going to be heated enough as it is.

I apologise for bring politics into this post, my intention was to promote open source as the only way to avoid the dark path corporate owned systems are heading towards … I honestly believe that in 10 years corporate OS will prevent users from doing what we’re able to do now. It will be for “the greater good”, and Haiku will be in an enviable position.

3 Likes

I appreciated your post which was very well written and on point. I only wanted to inform you that you blamed the wrong political ideology.

Sorry, but I have to respond to this one.

You can find in this forum people who already use Haiku as their daily drive. So, they feel Haiku is suitable for their desktop needs.

Yeah, some geeks use it as their daily OS, cool. I don’t know any normal person who does not much about tech using Haiku.

Novadays, almost all serious software is written firstly and primarily in Linux

It’s a fuckin blatant lie. I can list more than 100 key software that don’t exist for Linux. Note, that I’m not talking about back end stuff or headless servers sitting in a rack for years. I’m talking about normal computers that people use everyday where they load Google Chrome, Microsoft Office and their everyday software.

For Photo editing, there is no Photoshop. And no Gimp isn’t a replacement for Photoshop, because It doesn’t support non destructive editing, making it 100% useless for people doing serious work.
Libreoffice can be considered If you work alone, but for power users It lacks features such as poor or inexistent outline view, a pain to setup shortcuts and a poor UX and UI. It has problems with VBA macros (not the same thing as Microsoft Office). It can be glitchy at times.
If you work with people using microsoft office, unless you enjoy risking problems, there is no reason to not use Microsoft Office to guarantee 100% compatibility. There’s a reason why Microsoft Office is the industry standard.

For video editing, there’s no Avid or Premiere, the industry standard. People doing serious video editing won’t be able to on Linux/Haiku.

Video recording, there is OBS but It lacks many alternatives for people not liking it or needing some features. No Camtasia nor Bandicam or other software.

No open source pdf viewer or editor comes close to Adobe Acrobat.

Note taking apps are in a terrible state. No onenote, one of the best note taking apps. Xournal is terrible and lack many features compared to onenote.

There are no good software to manage your music library. No mediamonkey, musicbee or foobar2000.

No Sketchup, no solidworks, no autocad, no soliedge.

Lack of games. A lot of Linux ports are less supported than the Windows version and buggier. Yes, proton and WINE are trying to improve this, but truth be told the experience is far from enjoyable most of the time, you’ll have to tinker find work arounds deal with bugs and the number of games that straight up refuse to run are very high.

No Chessbase, serious chess players can’t use Linux or Haiku to study their games.

I could go on, but you have to be crazy to think that Linux doesn’t lack serious software (or you never used anything else than a web browser in your damn life).

Novadays all new pieces of hardware are supported in Linux earlier than in Windows.

Nice joke, Hello Nvidia HAHAHAHAHA. And that’s one of the companies that supports Linux the best when other companies.
A lot of RGB keyboard don’t have any lights or straight up don’t work, a lot of laptops features like the Nvidia optimus technology straight up don’t work.

Go ahead and buy any specialized equipment and It straight up won’t work.

A lot of printers lack advanced functions like managing the ink level and others.

Well, you probably know that Firefox market share superseded MS Internet Explorer

Cool, that was way way back then, now It’s mostly irrelevant. Firefox is a slow, outdated browser nowadays 4% market share compared to Chrome 65% market share doesn’t lie. People don’t use Firefox because they don’t want to tolerate low performance, when they can use a browser that is 8x faster.

Now, I ask you: Do you seriously believe Windows performance is in pair with Haiku’s?

The only point where I may give you the benefit of the doubt. Yeah, Windows isn’t known for the best performance or the cleanest code out there. But It sill manage to spank Linux in benchmarks, for everyday use. Faster in gaming, faster browsing performance. Nothing else to say.

You are probably not a programmer, are you? For real programmers the OS architecture matters the most. And when is comes to writing portable applications (GUI, Web, etc), one immediately observes he can port his software across many OSes with just few lines, but specially for Windows he has to reimpliment 1/4 or 1/3 of his project.

I don’t disagree but this wasn’t my point. Most people using a desktop OS, don’t care how It was programmed, how optimized it is etc. They just want something that works.

1 Like