Did Development slowed down?

There is a bug concerning ps/2 keyboards which makes atlest my keyboard unusable. (Bug 155)
Since Feb, 14 2006 it is (Re)open.
There seem to be no progress.

hunnia wrote:
There is a bug concerning ps/2 keyboards which makes atlest my keyboard unusable. (Bug 155) Since Feb, 14 2006 it is (Re)open. There seem to be no progress.

It propbably doesn’t affect enough people to be deemed critical.

None of my 4 machines have a problem with PS/2 keyboards under Haiku (all different motherboards).

I’m sure that if a developer with enough know-how runs into the problem first-hand, they will take a crack at resolving it. In the meantime, I doubt it will get fixed any time soon.

Don’t be discouraged, there are MANY things left to do on Haiku, and code is being checked in daily. Haiku is very much in active development, and I believe it has sped up dramatically rather than slowed down.

Just last night I was surfing the web using firefox in Haiku running in VMWare!

umccullough wrote:

I saw the photos on your Flickr page, looks great. How do you copy files into the VMware images though? I can’t find any way of mounting it.

Dirty Harry wrote:
umccullough wrote:

I saw the photos on your Flickr page, looks great. How do you copy files into the VMware images though? I can’t find any way of mounting it.

I build the raw haiku.image on my BeOS Max machine, and then I use mountimage from bebits (provided by axel).

This allows me to load it up with whatever I need before I copy it to my windows machine and convert it to a vmware image.

In order to put firefox on a haiku.image, I had to modify the jam rules to make the image 100mb instead of 80, however.

I’m contemplating making a VMWare image that has a few apps from bebits on it for people to play with beyond what comes with Haiku… we’ll see what I have time to cook up this weekend.

Urias, let us know how that goes.

As soon as I can get my builds working again (grrr!) I had been planning on hosting hourly BeOS-built images (to be free of the current Linux-built issues) with a set of basic freeware programs already on the image. This is probably a month away, though, from being available on the HaikuHost site.

Also, are you using the ipro1000 or the sis NIC? Since the bug was fixed, I was able to configure the ipro, but I couldn’t really do much with it. I was able to do a ping, but after the first response it hangs (but no KDL!). I guess I need to do some more tinkering… I’d love to get FF (or any browser) surfing on Haiku. :smiley:

j_freeman wrote:
Urias, let us know how that goes.

As soon as I can get my builds working again (grrr!) I had been planning on hosting hourly BeOS-built images (to be free of the current Linux-built issues) with a set of basic freeware programs already on the image. This is probably a month away, though, from being available on the HaikuHost site.

Also, are you using the ipro1000 or the sis NIC? Since the bug was fixed, I was able to configure the ipro, but I couldn’t really do much with it. I was able to do a ping, but after the first response it hangs (but no KDL!). I guess I need to do some more tinkering… I’d love to get FF (or any browser) surfing on Haiku. :smiley:

I have successfully used the ipro1000 AND the sis900 driver with no problems after axel’s "hack"…

Once you get a haiku.image mounted in BeOS, it’s as simple as unzipping the new FireFox MineField (for net_server) and copying the firefox folder to the haiku image… of course, NetPositive works fine too, if you don’t mind the limited rendering capabilities.

I may take a look at the ping issue, but i’m pretty useless at programming c/c++… i was looking over the mouse click problems with firefox last night, and I’m thoroughly confused at how BView::SetMouseEventMask() is supposed to work - but I don’t think it’s properly implemented in Haiku from what I can tell.

Update: As pointed out by fyysik, the firefox usage of SetMouseEventMask() is probably not correct - and probably not the issue anyway… so i’ll dig deeper now :slight_smile:

umccullough wrote:
hunnia wrote:
There is a bug concerning ps/2 keyboards which makes atlest my keyboard unusable. (Bug 155) Since Feb, 14 2006 it is (Re)open. There seem to be no progress.

It propbably doesn’t affect enough people to be deemed critical.

None of my 4 machines have a problem with PS/2 keyboards under Haiku (all different motherboards).

I’m sure that if a developer with enough know-how runs into the problem first-hand, they will take a crack at resolving it. In the meantime, I doubt it will get fixed any time soon.

Don’t be discouraged, there are MANY things left to do on Haiku, and code is being checked in daily. Haiku is very much in active development, and I believe it has sped up dramatically rather than slowed down.

Let me correct!!! I just installed the May 4th image on the hard drive and run it native. With the new snapshot the PS/2 keyboard which failed for me before, works. So it seems the bug might be fixed. :slight_smile:

hunnia wrote:
Let me correct!!! I just installed the May 4th image on the hard drive and run it native. With the new snapshot the PS/2 keyboard which failed for me before, works. So it seems the bug might be fixed. :-)

AWESOME! Welcome to the Haiku testing community!

Is it possible to add files to the haiku.image using jam haiku-image?

I can’t install BeOS and I can’t use mountimage…

For example i’d like to add a picture for the desktop and some applications like vlc and firefox.

Thx. (and sorry for my bad english )

Ilian wrote:
Is it possible to add files to the haiku.image using jam haiku-image?

I can’t install BeOS and I can’t use mountimage…

Of course! Have a look at build/jam/UserBuildConfig,sample in the haiku tree to learn how to do that.
And happy testing :slight_smile:

edited: Jack Burton replied before I hit Submit :slight_smile:

umccullough wrote:
There are a series of jam rules that populate the image - i believe most of them are in the "build" subdirectory... You'll have to look through them some, and possibly do some reading on how jam works.

I think there are some rules that can be used to copy arbitrary files to the image - so you can probably add some of your own files this way :slight_smile:

I’ll do some investigation myself - but I was planning on writing a shell script to do it AFTER the haiku.image was built…

Thx :slight_smile:

Today I spent hours reading the files in build/jams but without success… I think the script i’m looking for is inside of ImageRules… there are lots of HaikuImageCopyFilesScript like this one:

actions AppendToHaikuImageCopyFilesScriptSingleFile
{
	echo \$cp "\"\${sPrefix}$(2[2])\"" \
		"\"\${tPrefix}$(TARGET_DIR)/$(INSTALL_TARGET_NAME)\"" >> $(2[1])
}

BTW, I will continue to investigate… :slight_smile:

EDIT->Ooops :oops: I missed the JackBurton reply

Jack Burton wrote:
Of course! Have a look at build/jam/UserBuildConfig,sample in the haiku tree to learn how to do that. And happy testing :)
Grazie mille me lo studiero' per bene...ci sto impazzendo :)

WOOOOAAAAH! :smiley:

As I suspected, solution was extremely easy… d’ho! :oops:

So, basically we have to create a new file called UserBuildConfig inside the directory /build/jam and then copy into it the sample scripts we need from the file UserBuildConfig.sample.
Now we can run jam haiku-image from the terminal and… Voilat! :smiley:

For example, if we want an haiku.image of 150Mb we should have an UserBuildConfig like this:

# Create a 150 MB haiku.image.

HAIKU_IMAGE_NAME	= haiku.image ;

HAIKU_IMAGE_DIR		= /home/haiku;

HAIKU_IMAGE_SIZE	= 150 ;

Thx again to everyone :smiley:

Quote:
For example, if we want an haiku.image of 150Mb we should have an UserBuildConfig like this:
# Create a 150 MB haiku.image.

HAIKU_IMAGE_NAME = haiku.image ;

HAIKU_IMAGE_DIR = /home/haiku;

HAIKU_IMAGE_SIZE = 150 ;

Thx again to everyone :smiley:

Heh, i actually didn’t use the UserBuildConfig to modify my image size - i went into the jam rule where it was hardcoded to 80 and changed the default to 100…but now I’ll go play with teh UserBuildConfig myself tonight :smiley:

umccullough wrote:
I'm contemplating making a VMWare image that has a few apps from bebits on it for people to play with beyond what comes with Haiku... we'll see what I have time to cook up this weekend.

I’d be interested in that. :slight_smile: I no longer have any hardware that’s capable of booting BeOS, which makes testing pretty difficult.

umccullough wrote:
hunnia wrote:
Let me correct!!! I just installed the May 4th image on the hard drive and run it native. With the new snapshot the PS/2 keyboard which failed for me before, works. So it seems the bug might be fixed. :-)

AWESOME! Welcome to the Haiku testing community!

I am pretty happy! It seems that some of the networking code is in the in the new image, which is newer than the networking_kit. Now if I just could have DHCP in Haiku. :-(, (Some people are never satisfied. :slight_smile: )

I have a new problem :frowning:

Through UserBuildConfig I can:

• change size,name and location image
  • add new directories
  • add a a new single file per script

The problem is I would like to copy a whole directory (es: /firefox/ with all its subdirectories and files).

Is possible to write a script which copies a directory (and it’s content) to the image?

Ilian wrote:
I have a new problem :(

Through UserBuildConfig I can:

• change size,name and location image
  • add new directories
  • add a a new single file per script

The problem is I would like to copy a whole directory (es: /firefox/ with all its subdirectories and files).

Is possible to write a script which copies a directory (and it’s content) to the image?

the UserBuildConfig.sample had a line to specify a script to run AFTER the image was built but before the MIME database is created - this is what I intend to try out when i get a chance - let me know if you have any luck with it yourself.

umccullough wrote:
the UserBuildConfig.sample had a line to specify a script to run AFTER the image was built but before the MIME database is created - this is what I intend to try out when i get a chance - let me know if you have any luck with it yourself.

I tried but without success.

It seems to be a little complicated to me… or maybe i can’t get the point…

If I understand I should create a late-image-script.sh script and then use it through UserBuildConfig… or am I wrong? :?

Ilian wrote:
I tried but without success.

It seems to be a little complicated to me… or maybe i can’t get the point…

If I understand I should create a late-image-script.sh script and then use it through UserBuildConfig… or am I wrong? :?

That too was my impression based on what I read… but I haven’t tried yet (hopefully the weekend will prove to be more productive for me)