Development environment

What you get today from NXP (who bought Freescale) is not the same CodeWarrior, it’s a repackaging of gcc with the Eclipse IDE.

Short question to the software porters here. Shouldn’t it be possible to port Eclipse IDE using QT? Maybe I need to investigate on my own. But I good IDE would be great to have. Eclipse e.g. has great tools for refactoring next to code completion and such.

Edit: They don’t have QT but only GTK. Damn.

Oh I need to test KDevelop. (Plus Koder and QtCreator). PE is a very nice text editor but no IDE I would say.

CodeWarrior wasn’t just the IDE also, it was the compilers too. BeOS used the Metrowerks compilers up to R4 on x86, and PowerPC always used them. The IDE was nice, because it integrated it all in to a project system that was common, and cross compiling was part of the set-up too. We lost that in Haiku.

2 Likes

I remember CodeWarrior on Mac OS 8. It was pretty snappy and will integrated, and I think I still have the discs.

Actually the leaked Be source code contains the BeIDE sources and one could actually research the copyright info in the BeIDE about window and reach out for the owners to get at least the IDE open sourced. I did it, but not suceeded. So the reason why BeIDE is lost is simply because not enough people care about it.
(Some russian folks even made patches to get BeIDE compile on Haiku, btw.)

Did we lost cross-compiling on Haiku? I think the package management makes it even simpler, make a folder, attach other arch packages there chroot in it and run a cross-compiler to build your artifacts. Are cross-compilers available in the depot right now to target different Haiku arches? No. Impossible? No, it just wasn’t in focus so far, but definetely doable, so this is not lost.

If something is not trivial it doesn’t means it is lost or impossible. If there will be a need there will be a way.

2 Likes

We know who owns the copyrights - its NXP. But they are unlikely to go to the effort to making sure there are no further claims, or trust someone making said claims from inspection of leaked code.

That is not very nice to my work for providing ARM (baremetal), AVR, and even 6809 and a bunch of other 8bit CPUs compilers. They are all available at haikuports and I use them for all my embedded software development.

Haiku is probably one of the easiest platform to use for these targets.

Still, we currently don’t have a very good IDE at the moment. Paladin and Koder are promising but still a work in progress. And we still need to provide a good and convenient buildsystem. Personally I think we could do that by improving on the Jamfile engine (or something similar). Our experience with Jam in the haiku buildsystem shows that it is a good tool for complex builds with several compilers (a regular Haiku build uses 3 compilers: one for the host, and gcc2 + gcc8 for the target). Surely this could be adopted by other projects too?

2 Likes

BeIDE was a nice little IDE. It even had code completion with a plugin If I remember right. <3

2 Likes

Is Paladin not a rework of beIDE?

Well, no. BeIDE was a project manager, build configurator and source editor in one package with various plugins. Paladin sort of does the projects stuff, but as it is not defacto, it is not the system everyone uses. Back in the early days, everything was BeIDE, and it only became more about makefiles late in the day when people were trying to port stuff from other platforms.

Paladin suffers from almost being like the project management part of BeIDE, but not enough… and then relying on an external editor that seems disconnected from the project management.

2 Likes

I probably said this before, but I spoke to the developer advocate at Metrowerks before they sold off their assets and he was quite interested in the idea of possibly opening the source, but it got vetoed by management higher up, probably because the sale was in the works and they didn’t want to give away the source for free at that point.

They have older versions available still, kinda gotta dig through but its still there for the older micros

The plugin was called Don’t worry.

I wonder if you can get code completion in Emacs or in KDevelop for the BAPI?

I meant there is no crosscompiler targeting haiku on different arch. I especially tried to press this in my original comment, because i know about the crosscompilers you working on. But they doesn’t targets Haiku, or am i wrong here?

1 Like

Haiku built on Linux/BSD/etc is built using a cross-compiler…

Yes, that’s right, I needed them for other things. Note that until very recently, there wasn’t any architecture to cross-compile to and it’s been only a few days since we had usable Haiku images for a non-x86 platform.

The Haiku port for RISC-V was done entirely from Haiku (something that I have not managed to do for other port attempts) and it should not be a problem to provide a cross compiler for it if desired.

2 Likes

I wonder if they’d be up to this idea now that they don’t use Metrowerks sources at all.

KDevelop looks very promising. But it currently cant parse C++ projects to provide full code completion.

Must be a small inconvinience because actually it can do this. :slight_smile: