Development environment

There is quite a variety of tools available for development. I’m curious what others use for development of Haiku or apps for Haiku. A few questions to get better picture:

1. Are you working on Haiku itself or apps?
  2. What editor do you use? Do you have any special configs that others could find useful?
  3. Do you use Haiku itself for development or do you cross compile?
1 Like
  1. I recently started with patching a existing app,but I’m not experienced enough to work on Haiku itself.
  2. KDevelop with the default config.
  3. I use Haiku directly because that makes it easier to test quickly if my changes work.
2 Likes

I work on apps and Haiku itself (aswell as various lua games, heh), I use Koder and do my dev on Haiku.
(Kind of wish Koder would know how to highlight lua code though)

3 Likes

QtCreator as editor (use cmake for project files). Haiku Debugger to step through code (we’re >< close to having working gdb 10, so QtCreator can also step through code. Kdiff for comparison (though Beyond Compare for other systems has sftp codepath so often I remotely run code comparison).

Haiku BeAPI native apps or cross platform apps using my rendering engine (also has a GUI).

2 Likes

Ok, here we go :wink:

1. Apps
  2. Koder, mostly. I still use Pe to edit Makefiles because it has a special mode to add sources. And sometimes vi(m) when I make quick and small changes to files, e.g. bumping the version number in the .rdef file.
  3. Haiku itself. Mostly in Virtualbox but I also have a rather old laptop where Haiku is installed natively.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask if you have further questions.

1 Like
  1. Apps and Haiku (apps within Haiku)
  2. Koder, did use Pe but you can’t see hidden chars etc (not that I know of) so was easier to move to Koder
  3. Haiku it self have a handful of old laptops, Nuc and realy smal pc’s
1 Like
  1. I work on a bit of everything
  2. I use vim. I have a lot of configuration for it that you can find at https://github.com/pulkomandy/.dotfiles/tree/master/.vim and even wrote a custom syntax highlighting for it because I don’t like the default one: https://github.com/pulkomandy/c.vim
  3. I use Haiku because it’s the most comfortable OS for this
2 Likes
  1. Mainly updating recipes at haikuports (sometimes some new things)
  2. Pe, still like it over Koder (don’t ask me why) :slight_smile: I use my own wiki at github for git commands and subtle variants that I can check/use …
  3. Native/Virtual Haiku, no cross compiling

I was (and still am) a massive fan of BeIDE. I would love to see it either available or recreated for Haiku. I’m not a fan of Paladin as I liked that BeIDE was completely self contained. I also liked that there was a common project format.

I need to hunt down the unofficial port that I heard about. Anyone got any clues as to where it is these days?

2 Likes

Try to reach out for NXP & Access to get it opensourced.
There is a small thing licensed from a 3rdparty but it should be possible to reach him or recreate it from scratch. Check the BeIDE About window for more info.

Sorry I thought Paladin is the anchestor of BeIde?! I thought it is a clone of it?
I am really surprised. What to do to get BeIde style?

For me? BeIDE is a really familiar tool. It is much the same as CodeWarrior. I used both a lot. Paladin is just a tool to manage projects, but it seems like someone else’s interpretation of something like BeIDE. It’s not close enough and having to rely on an external editor makes it feel disjointed.

1 Like
  1. Apps, a bit.
  2. I like Vim, tend to use the nice GUI version. I have a pretty basic config, nothing really notable except a couple of functions― IME, Vim tends to clobber file attributes (or not copy them over). I’m not sure if there’s a settings tweak or workaround for this, but I managed to get this together a few months back:
function Cache_attrs()
	silent !catattr -r "_trk/pinfo_le" %:p > /tmp/pos-%:t
	silent !catattr -r "BEOS:TYPE" %:p > /tmp/type-%:t
endfunction

function Load_attrs()
	silent !addattr -f /tmp/pos-%:t -t raw "_trk/pinfo_le" %:p
	silent !addattr -f /tmp/type-%:t -t mime "BEOS:TYPE" %:p
	silent !rm /tmp/pos-%:t /tmp/type-%:t
endfunction

autocmd BufWritePre * call Cache_attrs()
autocmd BufWritePost * call Load_attrs()
  1. Haiku, ofc!

I thought CodeWarrior is/was included in BeIde?!
Did not know it eas seperate usable on BeOs

Indeed it was: Metrowerks sold BeOS-version of CodeWarrior to Be in 1998, after which it was rebranded to BeIDE and continued to be developed in-house.

2 Likes

It was actually (for BeOS) a version for Mac that could compile BeOS PowerPC apps, and the version for BeOS (when fully licensed) was originally sold as “CodeWarrior”. The version of the compilers that originally shipped with BeOS had a limited linker (Something like it could only link apps up to a certain size.) I think that was true up till something like R3. But also, I used CodeWarrior on Mac hardware. CodeWarrior actually existed well in to the OSX era, and also on PC (and used it for PalmOS dev too back in the day.)

MetroWerks also sold an extension to the BeIDE that did Java development under BeOS and supported Java 1.0 (possibly 1.1), but that only runs under PowerPC and only really works well under PR2/R3. You can get it to work under R5, but it is flaky.

2 Likes

BeOS Days: At first I used BeIDE and later on i switched to Eddie and makefiles.
Haiku: Koder.

Anyone tried to contact Pavel Cisler to and ask he could compile and release Eddie for Haiku?

I thought the code was opensourced at some point? I know he had a Linux version that used GTK and that he also have basically implemented a load of the BeAPI on Linux to make it work, because I remember having that code and porting some of it to Windows.

Still worth asking though…

I used Pe on Haiku in the past, but I just successfully built x86_64 on Windows 10 using WSL in the last day or two - so I might try using SublimeText.

Metrowerks code warrior was common with Motorola embedded and other microcontroller applications.

You can get it from free scale to this day

Learned a lot about efi systems working on algorithms for efi