Call for testers - intel_extreme driver

I know; the netbook PC I tested here does have a relevant card to the intel_extreme driver work; the extra notes in my post were/are because I normally don’t test or use PCs on a regular basis. It’s true that since Alpha 4.1, I have tested various PC models with Haiku in the past – but mainly use and prefer Macs. Sorry if my last post focused too much on that aspect and distracted from the topic… but anyway, again, as part of trying out the new driver, the Intel graphics on the HP Stream 14 work great at native resolution (again, it starts in 1024x768, but can be seamlessly changed to a full 1366x768 with full color in Screen prefs.)

As for graphical demos, (which I forgot to test before), Chart works great, the GLTeapot works with a flicker but gets 120-140 fps, and Haiku3D runs smoothly, albeit in black and white mode. Screen doesn’t appear to have the recent brightness control support in the preflet with this card.

Your screenshot shows that you are using the VESA driver and not the intel one.

1 Like

I have an old Sony Vaio VGN-CS320J, with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 MHD graphics. Tried haiku las year on it but can’t boot. Is your new driver supposed to work with such an old hardware?

My bad; thanks! This is how the machine started up (i.e. I didn’t set Vesa myself)… how can I coax it to use the new intel_extreme driver so I can test it properly?

Remove any forced fallback (blacklisting) if exists and reboot.

If you didn’t do anything special, then your device is not supported by the Intel driver. Since VESA works fine, there is nothing special to do but enjoy the machine as is.

2 Likes

According to the original post, the driver by @PulkoMandy spans:

From a quick search and some reading in the List of Intel graphics processing units on Wikipedia, the i845 series was released back in 2002, with the “Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 MHD” (GMA 4500MHD) in 2008, about 6 years later. So my guess from that is it’d appear your card would be worth testing with the intel_extreme driver to see if it works; hope this helps. :slight_smile:

OK. Tried to boot the latest nightly and the result was this:

IMG_20200214_154831

As soon and the boot process initiated.

Another XHCI (USB 3) problem. Please report in https://dev.haiku-os.org. Write Haiku version number and attach this photo.

All working well here on an IvyBridge ThinkPad x230. Only thing to note is that I just updated from hrev50988 to 53870 in one jump, and on the first boot after the update I could only see a small portion of the top left of the screen even though the screen preflet said that the resolution was correct. However, a reboot fixed the problem.

(Quite impressed the transition was so smooth, I recently started using this machine again, and can see from the saved states that the haiku install has been updated starting from hrev48282 way back in 2014!)

I appreciate all the changes made here. Now I have a near flawless experience on an MSI Wind U100 with 945G graphics. Booting with external monitor (analog VGA) leads to native resolution (1920x1080) on the external screen and a blue screen on the laptop (1024x600) which I believe is an attempt at the dual display support. Booting without attached monitor results in native laptop panel resolution.

Only thing not working is plugging in an external monitor after boot - it has a good attempt to change resolutions but ultimately fails with garbage displayed.

If I get a handle on the hot plug issues, I’ll raise a defect with logs.

GLTeapot: Black window (already covered by existing item)
Connected Display: Yes
Changing Colour Depth: Yes
Changing Resolution: Only down in size. Up in size results in blank blue screen.
Switching workspace: Yes, including with different resolutions.

Major step forward over the Beta with the nightly builds now. Very nice.

1 Like

Seems to be the same board , I use. ?.
Intel Atom, !? Same isues here
Haiku hrev53921 32bit
If you hit problems, please open bugreports at dev.haiku-os.org . Include the PCI ID of the video card and a syslog, as well as a description of the problem (and pictures if needed)

Intel Atom N270 with the 945G graphics. Will do when I get a chance.

Check syslog output for private data before you upload it on the bug tracker. Delete this infos from the file first.

1 Like

I posted new bug with attached files. Please let me know if I missed any info or files.
https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/15777