Call for Haiku R1/Beta 3 Installer logo

I think we have a good opportunity to customize the Haiku R1/beta3 installer logo.

Base:

Transparent logo (in-case you need it):

I’d like to collect some submissions and have the community vote on them.

1. The image size shouldn’t change. 316x102
  2. White background to match the rest of the installer window.
  3. Haiku’s logo should remain the “primary” part of the image.
  4. Registered trademark logo (circle + r) must remain.
  5. No trademarked content / all modifications must be cleanly released under the MIT license.

Ideally, “R1 / Beta 3” should appear somewhere + somehow within the image.
If we get enough submissions, lets hold a community vote on the best image.

The deadline is July 9th, 8:00 am CDT. Submissions should be made within this thread.

Here’s context on how the image is used:

https://cloudflare-ipfs.com/ipfs/QmaxfbW9p43LV4P97P1upoMFqgL8GWbMuGe2TxwnbmEHdk/installer.png

1 Like

No frills:

Haiku Installer Logo

9 Likes

Perhaps it could be a shade darker, for better contrast? It’s light on light, which isn’t good for readability and comfort.

Tried out something experimental based on dungeon games I used to play. The logo has been resized for clarity in the forums.

halloween

2 Likes

Made two designs for a possible logo.

Simple:
HAIKU logo - black on white - big - simple

This one builds upon @humdinger’s idea, but uses a darker orange colour from the second leaf for better contrast. Not much more, really.

Tab:
HAIKU logo - black on white - big - tab

This concept aims to evoke the iconic yellow tabs, which are a major element in Haiku’s unique visual identity.

9 Likes

8-bit-ish Mosaic.

8-bit-mosaic

beta3_pen

3 Likes

beta3_marker

4 Likes

I loved the one with the tab!

Nice! keep them coming!
If this is popular, maybe we’ll do this every release :smiley:

I like the mosaic, but the big point is getting the release version into it.

This is the normal file for the installer for wonderbrush: https://git.haiku-os.org/haiku/plain/data/artwork/HAIKU%20logo%20-%20black%20on%20white%20-%20installer

It also has the beta2 alpha3 etc images in it

Just a nitpick, but why… R1/Beta3… which one is it? R1 means to me a “sharp” release… Beta3 means “experimental” to me… Quite ambigious.
Haiku R1 means something different to me than Haiku Beta 3… So why both?
(I have no problem with either, but why confuse people with both?)

1 Like

Mostly because we’re working towards “R1”. That’s kind of the gold standard “big” release.

• R1/alpha1
  • R1/alpha2
  • R1/alpha3
  • R1/beta1
  • R1/beta2
  • R1/beta3
  • etc

Eventually we’ll get R1 out. R1’s goal is “a replacement for BeOS” and I’d expect it to be “supported” for a looong time.

After R1 (R2, etc) stuff’s gonna get crazy ™

4 Likes

Ok, makes sense, thanks for the clarification

Same file, not sure if the Installer does respect bg color, but if not i’d fix it to do so I suppose.
png1
png2

-1, no mention of R1.

1 Like

Neither did /any/ of the previous Beta or alpha releases, do you have any good justification as to why this is suddenly different?

You can even check the source file i linked above, it contains all previous installer images

1 Like

This isn’t technically true. Here’s R1A2, R1A4, R1B1, R1B2

r1a2
r1a4
r1b1
r1b2

2 Likes

are we all over the road? Yes.
Let’s work on something more unique + inspiring than “basic text” or a rubber stamp :slight_smile:

Personally I like consistency, and I think the R1/beta3 is more confusing even if it makes sense to us, it won’t for users since / usually means a dividor as a logical or, R1 or beta3 instead of the meant beta3 of Release 1

Wierdly enough I didn’t remember the beta1 installer image, maybe that sais more about me though, but it looks like you are indeed correct, even if beta1 seems to be a clear outlier there.