Boot haiku natively

is there a way to get the bootsect copied correctly? I’ve dd’ed the image onto my spare hd in a small partition I acidentally made.The partition is active and all and ‘Q’ seems to run the image okay, but I get ‘missing operating system’ when trying to boot.Any ideas?

From Linux, there are two steps involved.

1. You ‘dd’ haiku image to a partition
  2. You run ‘makebootable’ on that partition

Search for ‘makebootable’ in these forum posts for further details:
http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/installing_haiku_to_a_partition_from_linux
http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/tired_of_running_haiku_under_vms

no luck with grub or lilo, both seem to recognize the intel 945 SATA array, even with no drives attached.cant turn this off in bios, as GCNL board has no option.will try the bios update next.

will give makebootable a try if I can find the thread which had it in there again.

no luck with making bootable (minus Ubuntu build of makebootable).

OK. first had wrong partition map of GUID, not MBR.

Next set it active.
NEXT, pulled qemu-img from ‘Q’ app (so binary compatible) and converted disk image to raw.

after dd’ing again I get the following:

Now I’m getting ‘OS failed to load…press any key’, which is exactly what in the hard drive’s first sector if you examine it with the disk inpector from within haiku.

does anyone have a bootable disk image to use? seems someone else dd’ed the image and got it bootable somehow.maybe a boot floppy from R5?

I’m fairly sure that anyone who dd’ed the Haiku image to the whole hard drive ( not just a partition ) is not required to run makebootable. ( ie: /dev/hda )

But if you dd the image to a partition then you must build Haiku’s makebootable ( on Linux ) and run it from what I’ve read. ( ie: /dev/hda3 ) Search the forums and general mailing list for dd & makebootable and you should find info about this issue.

You have to build Haiku’s makebootable yourself from Haiku’s sources. Or another way is to install and use BeOS in Qemu, mount the Haiku drive partition and run BeOS’ makebootable; Or Haiku through Qemu may work too if it has makebootable command.

I boot Haiku with GRUB ( menu.lst / grub.conf ):
title HAIKU
rootnoverify (hd1,2)
chainloader +1

EDITED: added additional info

Yep, dd to the entire disk should work (although, I’ve seen it fail on a couple occasions as well).

The raw images are basically just full disk image with no partition map on them - so the offset in the boot block to the physical location where the partition starts is known and always correct when used this way, and the boot block of the partition lands in the MBR.

If you dd the raw image to a single partition anywhere on a disk, you’ll need to change this offset and also add your own chainloading bootloader into the MBR (the GRUB info tonestone57 provided is basically what I use here as well).

Generally, the easiest way I’ve found to install Haiku to a partition is to simply setup a build environment on Linux (32bit preferably) and just build your images directly to the partition.

Instructions to do that are available:

I recommend the following articles - once you’ve completed and succeeded with the first one, then you can move onto the second one. Both should have a healthy number of related comments you can peruse as well:

http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/building_haiku_on_ubuntu_linux_step_by_step

http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/installing_haiku_to_a_partition_from_linux

HMMM.some progress.

I pulled qemu apart and dropped it into home folder so I can run it like you do on ubuntu/*NIX.Needed the sourses for qemu, so dumped the bios files from there.

Interesting thing happened…

./qemu-mac /dev/disk4s1
2008-06-21 15:55:03.845 qemu-mac[214:10b] KO

—> Note the screen text before the CPU crashes and leaves qemu without a keyboard or mouse grab after booting.

IT reads:

“Welcome to the Haiku boot loader”
“copywright HAIKU,INC.”
“select boot volume (current:none)” <-- highlighted

There are five menu options, but I can’t select anything.Still getting “OS failed to boot” in dos.
Yet booting the image (.vmdk) completely loads the OS under qemu.
(edited)

I GOT IT!! Finally!!!

use -hda -hdb option on qemu.HDB is your native Hard drive.I had to go into the Q.APP manually to get qemu to accept keyboard/mouse input since ‘q control’ app wont allow you to boot native hard drives. You can run ‘makebootable’ from QEMU within Haiku.I’ve done this on a spare QEMU volume and booted from it successfully.

Ok richard - good one. I thought you could do it in Qemu but wasn’t sure how. Now I know but I’ll give a little better explanation because yours has little details ( hard to follow ).

This is an easy way to run makebootable inside Qemu on Linux with Haiku image.

Download haiku.image.bz2, unzip it.
Run: qemu -hda haiku.image.r26269 -hdb /dev/hda

haiku.image.r26269 should refer to the actual Haiku version you’re using
/dev/hda should be the drive with the Haiku partition

Qemu will run haiku.image.r26269. You’ll be able to mount your physical Haiku partition inside of Qemu.

Use Haiku’s menu & mount physical Haiku partition in Qemu.

In terminal, run makebootable on your physical Haiku partition.

makebootable -full /haiku

/haiku should refer to your mounted physical Haiku partition ( yours may be named differently )

Now you should be able to boot the Haiku partition with Grub ( or NT loader ) and run the OS natively.

-full /haiku?

haven’t tried that.used /dev/disk/0/master/ given by the installer and disk utilities.didn’t work.

I needed to use senryu to format and install the disk for some reason.Its derived from haiku.
are all those apps from R5?
wow.

try dd’ing the image to a whole disk –
dd if=haiku.img of=/dev/disk3

I hear it works.

/dev/disk3sX wont work.tried and failed.

now i have to dump a 60gb hard drive again…

I use “makebootable -full” in BeOS but I believe -full switch is ignored in Haiku.

In terminal, “cd /”, then "ls"
mount your physical haiku partition with the menu

in terminal, type “ls” again in /; you’ll see a new directory that wasn’t there before - your mounted partition.

BeOS & Haiku mount disk partitions in /

So when I run Qemu & mount Haiku & BeOS partitions I have /Haiku (haiku image), /haiku (disk partition 3), /BeOS (disk partition 1).

To make partition 3 bootable, I’d type:
makebootable /haiku
For partition 1, I’d type:
makebootable /BeOS

Yes, those applications in Senryu were made for BeOS. Senryu lets you see many of the programs available for Haiku without having to download them off of Bebits or look around at other sites to find them.

i get non bootable disk (partition1)
and
faild to load(some garbage) beos.sys (more garbage) (partition2)

neither are set active, keep having to reset the active bit everytime I use anything on the drive.
will try the -full option.

and most of those apps on senryu aren’t on bebits anymore.the links dont work.

i did that. (makebootable -full /)

i get the haiku boot menu saying no bootable drive(under qemu)
when I write to the partition that reads as ‘BEOS’, i get drive timeouts.

/BeOS (disk partition 1)

—>you have BEOS on your drive? maybe thats what boots.

Richard, syntax is: makebootable /“haiku_partition_you_mounted”

You said, that you ran " makebootable -full / "
That won’t work - different from what I said. You must mount the drive partition where you dd’ed the image to; the partition will mount in / but will have a name; my Haiku mounts as /haiku but yours might have another name.

1. dd haiku image to a partition.
  2. In Linux, do what I said above with Qemu
  3. mount the haiku partition ( you dd’ed to )
  4. run makebootable /“mounted_partition_name”

You’ll see the mounted_partition_name in / if you do a “ls” before and after mounting the partition. You’ll have a new folder added for the mounted partition.

Yes, I have BeOS & Haiku on drive partitions. It isn’t booting BeOS or Haiku from drive because I have Grub installed so I’d know & newer Haiku is booting up which I only have as image file. So, I’m certain haiku image file is booting. I haven’t tested out Haiku’s makebootable to see if that works ( it should ).

The method I described above allows you to boot from haiku image file. hda = haiku image ( boot drive ), hdb = physical disk drive. This will let you mount your physical haiku partition and run makebootable.

only issue with that is that image file and pys disk have same volume names.tried that a little while ago.it refused to mount.dd’ed the RAW image.will take another look.it didn’t make it bootable last time.

no,
i used makebootable -full /dev/disk/0/ata/slave/raw
and it said okay.

change raw to 0 and it gave me …device timeout.

let me post the images online,makes HUGE difference.
Update:

Hmmmm.
working now.maybe a issue with drive enclosure on usb.FW seems work ok.

used makebootable -full /haiku1.(after partition within haiku.it formats.)

any way to copy the FS now that its formatted and partitioned?

senryu has the feature,but I want HAiku here.will try to dd the image again.

Update:

the dd dump wont work, so i zapped the drive.Haiku seems to like it so far and crashed qemu once made bootable.tried this on master hardware and booted. NADA.

I’m in blinking one-lined cursor land, and bios dont like something because it faught with me to bring both drives online.took me half an hour to get it to find my main drive again.(for no reason) almost about to shit can this board and go nvidia again.

makebootable -full /dev/disk/0/ata/slave/raw
is not right because you’re not selecting a specific partition - I’ll explain in a bit. I have 7 partitions on /dev/hda.

So, I decided to try it out myself and see what happens. What I did:

1. dd if=haiku.image.r26269 of=/dev/hda2
  2. qemu /dev/hda; tried to boot /hda2 with Grub & got message Failed to load OS ( good b/c I wanted to be sure it wouldn’t boot )
  3. qemu -hda haiku.image.r26269 -hdb /dev/hda
  4. Mounted haiku partition from menu - it mounted as /Haiku1
  5. makebootable /Haiku1 ; resulted in:
    Error: Failed to open my executable file (“makebootable”: No such file or directory
  6. cd /dev/disk/ata/0/slave
  7. ls ; see there are 7 partitions
  8. makebootable /dev/disk/ata/0/slave/1 ; gives same error as in 5 - also tried with a different partition …/2 but again with the error.
  9. Mount my BeOS partition. cd to beos/bin & try with BeOS makebootable ( /Haiku1 ) - I get error:
    Cannot find the BIOS drive id for:
    /dev/disk/ata/0/slave/1

makebootable: error writing boot block information to /dev/disk/ata/0/slave/1 ; I also tried with …/2 but had same error

Conclusion: makebootable is not able to work in Qemu

Sorry about that. I thought it would work but after testing this method out myself it looks like it doesn’t. So it seems that makebootable will only work from BeOS LiveCD or partition ( or Zeta LiveCD may work too depending if they left mount & makebootable intact ).

im pretty sure you would have to map your drives the same in qemu as your phicsical configuration for it to work properly otherwise how wouldn’t it write the wrong boot code?

i might try it out myself since i have an extra HD now…

posted images are on www.rjasmin.net/haiku/image[1-7].tiff.
1-5 are the first try at dd’ing the image to the drive and attempting to boot.

actual hardware reveals (OS failed to boot from partition 2 and insert bootable media from partition 1) when swapped for main drive.boot from USB bracket fails and boots same as below.

USB dd with windows files also fails to boot.i keep getting thrown back to open darwin boot loader on main volume.[used for Leopard]

images 6-7 are done from a zapped hard drive in haiku. From here QEMU hangs and real PC stops at blinky cursor.seems to do this on raid volumes as well, can’t figure out why.(my array is on the SATA bus,boots only if IDE fails)i disconnected raid to see how far it would boot, but still gives me a blinky cursor.

even tried booting BE from a boot floppy it hangs at stage4,assuming because of NTFS file system on main drive.this was from the BE MAX installer.

EIN SPEKEN ZE DUTCHE.

Mebbe we can UUSE the bootloader (DASBOOT) from ZETA, JA?

:slight_smile:

maybe from within haiku.the image is in BEOS format, so i can’t mount it.(YET)
it sees my windows volume ok.takes awhile to load; JA what live cd doesn’t?

MEBBE, JES MEBBE it works…

@cb88
I have to choose -hda haiku.image because Qemu boots from -hda. Might be a way to change it to boot from -hdb.

I believe makebootable doesn’t work because it can’t figure out the drive’s geometry in Qemu.

@richard

I couldn’t see your pictures. Are the links correct? Do they work for you?

dd’ing to a partition or drive is no good b/c you’re limited to size of Haiku image ( 250 MB ) even if partition is 10, 20, 50 GB, etc.

I always use BeOS to mount the Haiku image file, copy over the files/folders to the BFS partition. This is easier and gives me full access to the entire partition size.

Zeta LiveCD should work. All you really need is mkdir, mount, makebootable & DriveSetup.