Bibletime

This is the most interesting part! Which will make this program outstanding.

BibleTime can do this already… but i plan to use BColumnListView (or at least a BColumnView) so that this will fit in the ui of Haiku.

2 Likes

Commented on the PR :slight_smile: It’s working fine, mostly cosmetic changes

i guess you have more patience an knowledge then me… Thanks.

I couldn’t code “hello world” if my life depended on me, know my way around recipes though :wink:

Personally I have ZERO interest in comparing translations, but if there were say for instance original text + commentary or dictionary references that would be super nice.

Comparing translation to translation is like… comparing two potentially dodgy copies of something and trying to infer what the original looked like, a fools errand. Instead of improving your understanding you just end up with confusion.

yes ha ha for sure…
if you like to find out about the original text… you should know its original language… and though you have to translate it!

to compare a translation against another translation might show you different understandings of the same topics or the original text…

Yes pretty much… I see people comparing known to be errant translations and cherry picking what suits their fancy though which makes me grumpy :smiley: , the original text was not written with such ambiguity, English is a terrible language to translate into though in many instances.

In Bible exigent terminology generally, and in Bible study software particularly, the term “translation” stands for “version” and usually includes the original (as far as it can be established) versions in original languages.

You may be very surprised to know the original Bible text is full of Semitic idioms, wordplay and intentional ambiguity. Here are just 2 samples:

Genesis 3:17,19 “And to Adam he said:… “In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.””
Hebrew word “ground” is “adamah”, a feminine form of Adam.

Daniel 5:25-28 “And this is the writing that was inscribed: MEʹNE, MEʹNE, TEʹKEL, and PARʹSIN. This is the interpretation of the words: MEʹNE, God has numbered the days of your kingdom and brought it to an end. TEʹKEL, you have been weighed in the balances and found lacking. PEʹRES, your kingdom has been divided and given to the Medes and the Persians.”
Each of these 3 words has at least 2 different meanings:

• MENE may mean “mina”, a weight unit of 570 g / 18.35 oz t, but also it means “to number” or “to count”;
  • TEKEL may mean “shekel” (50 shekels = 1 mine), but also it means “to weight”;
  • PERES may mean “half-shekel”, but also it means “to divide” or “Persian”.
    So the whole phrase can be legitimately translated as “a mina, a mina, a shekel, and half shekels” or “numbered, numbered, weighted and divided” or as “counted, counted, found lacking and given to Persians” or any other combination of these meanings.
3 Likes

Yes exactly that’s what I meant!!! Thanks for clarification…

Thanks to the help of a lot people like Begasus, korli and extrowerk finally the next (and at least working) ScriptureGuid Version is online

https://eu.hpkg.haiku-os.org/haikuports/master/x86_gcc2/current/packages/scriptureguide_x86-0.9.1-3-x86_gcc2.hpkg

4 Likes

That’s different than ambiguity through transnational error or inadequacy etc… though.

You could help with translating here:
https://i18n.kacperkasper.pl/projects/27

If you have any Issue… pls report it here:

No problem, glad to be able to help out :slight_smile:

trying to go forwad the road of nativ haiku os look and feel i tried to implement comparing different Translations with the well known ColumnListView… its only a proof of Concept since its not really working good… and important features like selecting and so on will go missing. Having this features and Comparing Bible Textes at the same time will requiere to rewrite the ColumnListView AND Textview… so also its looking promising its a verry verry long way to go. :frowning:

Scripture%20Guide

1 Like

Maybe https://github.com/HaikuArchives/PonpokoDiff can give some ideas about how to synchronize two text views

1 Like

Wow thats a good source for inspiration… thanks a lot.

Soryy for over one year no post, since i moved and took over a verry challening work and didtnt get my new shenker laptop to boot properly, there was no progress here. Not shure when i am able to continue the development :frowning:. When i am able to continue i will inform you

1 Like

Thank you for quick answers, Paradoxon!
I hope you find time for it!
Has the theme starter bromichaelhenry lost the interest?

Greetings, Polli

I just scrolled trough, but i find no conclusive info, did you guys got BibleTime working or not?
It runs here:
-BI9

2 Likes