Beta 4 Wishlist

It just sounds like Haiku doesn’t support NVidia, which isn’t true ;-).

Haiku Hardware Database (besly.de)

1 Like

Isn’t true for the most modern cards including gtx780ti gtx960 and gtx1060 and upwards

It is already a struggle to get drivers for other manufacturers working correctly when manufacturers are providing specs and open source drivers (even if those are not for Haiku :frowning: ).
nVidia drivers are closed source and they are giving the less infos they can. @rudolfc and others are doing their best but they can’t do miracles. People should complain on nVidia forum to make them change that or avoid buying their cards when possible.

5 Likes

nVidia does not provide any documentation for its GPUs. Complain to nVidia…

3 Likes

You should probably open a ticket for this feature request, if there isn’t one already.

A command line tool for sound.

The discussion already exists. Not start a new discussion in this thread.

Best wishes.

Lorglas

Do you mean a tool like hdajackretask ?

If it’s the name of the tool, yes.

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/17732

Yes, but if I recall correctly, NVIDIA cards can only use the VESA driver in Haiku, so no hardware acceleration…

There is no hardware acceleration in Haiku anyway.

you want BApplication::WindowAt() Application.h « app « os « headers - haiku - Haiku's main repository

You cannot get a BWindow* that points into another application because each application has its own memory space and pointers just don’t work that way. However, using the scripting interface, you can easily enumerate another app’s windows, and instanciate a BMessenger to communicate with them. The “scripting suites” are documented in the Be Book (but a bit briefly): The Be Book - Classes And Methods - The Application Kit

This is available in the menu of Installer or by runningthe “bootman” command in Terminal.

… is this the thread where people request already existing features?

3 Likes

The problem I see with BApplication::WindowAt is that it doesn’t take the order of the windows into account, at all. If one window overlaps another, then the window that was created first will come first in the list, not the window that’s actually on top. There’s no other way to determine the stacking order of windows either, so applications cannot sort the window list manually.

As for windows created by other teams, it isn’t vital to get a BWindow object for those. Some special value accompanied by their frames should be sufficient.

Only small question i have usb wifi key with realtek chipset its some tp link tl-wn723n inthink is version 2, for beta4 i vote for more usb wifi support, small improv. hide/show password ui, and maybe support for ssb manager for create bookmarks of web apps like peppermint linux or linux mint have.

Peppermint ice: GitHub - peppermintos/ice: Tool to create Chromium/Chrome/Firefox/Vivaldi SSBs in Peppermint OS.
Linux mint webapp manager: Monthly News – August 2020 – The Linux Mint Blog

I installed Haiku and it didn’t boot. Hence my wish. Good to know a solution now.

I feel like you should be able to track the z order of windows through the WindowActivated() callback. The windows could send messages to the BApplication when they are activated and un-activated and their z order could be tracked there. Maybe not quite as handy as asking app_server but I feel like this would work.

1 Like

That doesn’t work if your window has some unusual stacking rules, i.e. B_AVOID_FRONT, where its stacking order can change among other B_AVOID_FRONT windows, but not necessarily upon activation.

Would love to see the Deskbar UI/UX get back to the same general flexibility as that of BeOS. I’m mostly talking about the Applications, Preferences, etc. and the Tracker prefs you can’t set. I realize those blue folders are queries, but we should be able to get icon views for those and we should be able to persist the Tracker prefs. Also, it would be nice to bring back the iconic folders for those.

1 Like

I agree with you about Deskbar even if it had just manila folders again that would be an improvement. We’re waiting on a long planned better interface to organize your Deskbar applications into categories.

As a Mac OS X guy but not a classic Mac OS or BeOS guy or especially not a Linux guy I would prefer the Applications menu item to simply open up your applications folder and let you organize that folder any way you want in Tracker. Unfortunately that’s never going to happen so it stays as is.

For me personally Tracker thumbnails was my Beta4 goal and we seem to basically be there now.

4 Likes