BeOS 5 PE software archive

I’ll have to pull out my old BeOS HDs. I thing I have 4 drive full of BeOS software, as I never trashed stuff. I just pulled drives, sealed them up and filed them away. No clue what I still have. Did that all after I sold my BeOS collection years ago. Was big enough I made the news!

Interesting. Can you provide listing of that software?

…Sorry (I am not english man), I do not fully understand you have or you had?

I cannot avoid but share some disappointment with the content of this thread.

First, whereas there were the BeBits and BeOS software distribution sites in the old days, there appear to nearly a dozen sites (and one huge ephemeral torrent) now with many packages likely duplicated across them. This makes it difficult, if not impossible, for any new-nostalgic to find anything of interest from the BeOS days.

Second, there is the sensitive abandonware question. Yes there are packages that I would like to have yet cannot easily find them on resale auction sites. Once in a blue moon, there is one available - often going for astronomic prices. Fortunately, many had a demo version allowing me to get a taste even if limited in capabilities or time.

I do not forever live in the past. How can the Haiku community attract developers, hoping to earn some income from their efforts and talent, if this thread reflects the community as a hole?

Not all in the World, lives by yours standards, sir. By the way, according to the those standards I must die… And BeOS had to die. But life always finds the way.

“I do not forever live in the past. How can the Haiku community attract developers, hoping to earn some income from their efforts and talent, if this thread reflects the community as a hole?”

I worked for 7 years as an independent software developer and sold commercial software around the world. My software was heavily pirated and I lost money. But when we closed the company I gave up the rights to pursue any pirated software. Legally this is how it works. The company has the rights to the software, and if the company closes, it has legally abandoned any and all rights to the commercially released software.

It would be really great to have more developers writing software for haiku. Some of us have have a lot of time to port software to haiku and to invite other developers. I think it is totally wrong and totally naive to say that developers will not write code for haiku because we share abandoned commercial programs. in fact I would say the opposite. I would say that pirating abandoned commercial programs shows loyalty to Haiku/BeOS. It also shows that there is an unmet demand for software in Haiku.

I feel very strongly about this.

As opinions differ, can we agree that this forum is in the end Haiku Inc.'s responsibility., i.e. legally they’ll be the ones left holding the bag while everyone else can watch from their anonymity?

Until Haiku Inc. makes an official statement, keep talking on and on about it, but don’t link to it from here.

Sorry for bumping old thread. Could you please tell me what’s the latest version of this pack and where can I find it?

The same last version:
beos5peware2.torrent

Thanks. Here is magnet link:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:189bb14613c129507b9bb8f22e77cbdf8530c95c&dn=BEOS5PEWARE

Bumping this thread again. I’m looking to see if there is still a torrent file for this old software?

I’m currently specifically looking for the Edirol DV-7 BeOS install or upgrade files as I have one of those units.

edit: Hmm, it looks like the magnet link started downloading after a while, but will take weeks. Can anyone tell me if the pr5080_up_j_v125.zip file is in the torrent, or if anyone else had or has an Edirol DV-7 DV Pro and/or the SE upgrade, please get in touch!

The PR5080 upgrade file is available directly from Roland at Roland Pro A/V - Support - By Product - by_product_detail

I have one or two DV7 install discs somewhere.

Ooh, thank you! I got that!