BadWolf Web Browser

Electron is based on Blink. Blink is used in Chrome. Blink and WebKit are totally incompatible. How could Midori make such a switch?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Midori

It has been fully rewritten in 2019 when it merged with the Astian Foundation, to use an Electron base.

The source code for the WebKitGTK based version of Midori is still available: GitHub - midori-browser/core: Midori Web Browser - a lightweight, fast and free web browser using WebKit and GTK+ and that’s the browser you can see on the screenshot.
Unfortunately it has been discontinued in favor of the Chromium based version :confused:
I really like the good old Midori,but it has some annoying bugs that haven’t been fixed for years.
I’m currently in the process of forking and rebranding it,and then maintaining the WebKit based version again,because I don’t really like Chromium.
My version already fixed a lot of the bugs,but is not yet public as it still has some Midori trademarks in it.
Haiku will get first-class support if my project really goes anywhere.

9 Likes

There is a Midori fork with a few fixes here Commits · shmup/midori · GitHub

2 Likes

Yes,that already fixes the most annoying bugs like not being able to write a / in the address bar (opens the search box) or using the backspace key (navigates backwards).

@3dEyes did you encounter this error when you built midori?
I can’t figure out where it comes from in order to fix it

error: Package `gcr-ui-3' not found in specified Vala API directories 
or GObject-Introspection GIR directories

You can’t build Midori now. In order to build Midori, you need to enable introspection and rebuild more than a dozen packages. I will do this soon and push the fixes to haikuports.

2 Likes

Oh yes, you just confirmed what i thought it would need to build, thanks for the info.

Tried to enable gir for some packages, you’ll soon end up in a spider web :smiley: