Arora with QT5

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Arora web browser on Haiku as it was the first browser that allowed me to spend a good amount of time on the web using Haiku without crashing. Anyway, I thought I’d give it a shot building it with QT5.

Using the source from a Ubuntu Qt5 build, I was able to compile and build Arora on Haiku (x86_64). I then went and made a receipe and built a hpkg package for it.

So far it’s been extremely stable. The only thing that I’m looking into is the fact if I use Arora without an adblock, it really speeds up the browsing.

screenshot1

screenshot2

13 Likes

Always liked Arora too! Kudos on getting it to work with Qt5! :smiley:

There was a problem with being unable to select different adblock filters, as you would get an error message for any filter except the default “Easy List”. I’ve been able to add subscriptions using a different site and I’m going to edit the Arora source code to use that site and rebuild Arora.

screenshot1

Maybe it tries to write in non-writeable folder.

One of the most failures of packages around

It is not yet known where the problem lies, so please do not extrapolate from partial information. If you reread the top post, you will see he made the recipe, it is not published yet, it is not in Depot, so could you please be a bit more positive? Problems like this can be fixed.

2 Likes

To give you a better understanding of what I’ve been trying to describe. I’m adding the following screenshots.

The first shot is the default site that Arora goes to when you want to add a subscription.

screenshot2

When attempting to add a subscription, you get the following error message:

screenshot3

1 Like

Using an alternate site to add subscriptions, you’ll see another list to choose from:

screenshot4

Adding a subscription from this site:

screenshot5

Subscriptions are located in the following location:

screenshot6

And if anyone wants to play with this QT5 build of Arora, send me a message and I’ll upload it on beshare. With that said, it still has a way to go before I would consider it a real hpkg. Missing icons, link to menu etc.

I see a Problem here. Nothing is stored on hdd then you or the system clean up the Cache. In haiku you need to stored user files in /boot/home/config/settings

I agree with you regarding the settings location. What I find interesting though is the cache folder is also where the Haiku Repository information is stored.

screenshot7

I’m going to clean the system cache, and see if the data remains

You need to copy this files to boot/home/config/settings/arora and them create symbolic links to the programfolder. Add the symbolic links into the package in the program Folder under system/apps/Arora. Then zip the Settings folder and add him into the apps folder too. Then create a post-install script and add it into the package too.

I Think i should do tutorial about this.

Some interesting:
http://www.besly.de/index.php/en/package-system/haiku-package-tips-and-tricks

Just a quick note: you can display the full path to the current folder from any Tracker window by clicking on the number of items in the bottom line of the window. It saves you from the need to keep several Tracker windows open for the screenshot; one window will be enough.

Hiya @dasouth ,
have you still got the hpkg file around? I would love to have a go with arora and test it. Is there any way to download it? Thanks for helping.
I am having lots of crashes with Web+ just now and I am looking for a fallback solution.
Even if it is only temporary until Web+ goes stable… :wink:

Each and every Qt based browser uses exactly the same rendering backend, therefore you won’t see any difference compared to Otter or other Qt based browser.

2 Likes

Isn’t Arora based on firefox? If so, then it would be gecko based.

Arora is a cross platform web browser built using Qt and WebKit.

See GitHub - Arora/arora: Cross platform web browser :

No, there is no Gecko based browser for Haiku. If you dont count the ancient Bon Echo Firefox 2 fork.

It would be nice to have a gecko based browser (modern that is), but I’ve dabbled with arora on and off and find it pretty suitable to daily use. Web+ is nearly there though. Anyone have a link to the latest arora for haiku?

1 Like

If it’s based on a recent QtWebKit, that hasn’t been ported to Haiku. That means improving WebPositive is your best bet.

2 Likes