An Update from the Promotion Team | Haiku Project

It’s been almost three months since I posted about the Haiku Promotion Team, and the response to my initial post has been amazing and exceeded my expectations!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/jt15s/2021-03-22_an_update_from_the_promotion_team/
4 Likes

For the 20th anniversary of Haiku, I propose the Team make an interview with those who stood with the project from its inception: Michael Phipps, Axel Dörfler, Stephan Aßmus, and all others.

Also, it would be great to write a follow-up article with the current state of things in Haiku to this one https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-dawn-of-haiku-os.

Then, the team and the community would promote both the materials (including their translations to other languages) over the net.

7 Likes

For some videos I get this message inside playback window
“ No compatible source was found for this media.”

For example “ Haiku Running on the Asus EeePC 701 Netbook - Part 1/3” produces this error, but some older files I can watch

I did try on few devices

Not too sure if we can find all those people - we do have a “Meet the Developer” series of interviews planned, though, where developers tell us a bit about themselves and their work on Haiku through answering a couple of pre-prepared questions we send to them.

@leavengood (aka Ryan) wrote this article, and it seems that you need to be a writer with this magazine to be able to submit articles, so the Team can’t write an article to be published there. If Ryan is reading this and wishes to write a follow-up article, then he’s certainly welcome (and encouraged) to :smiley:

Hi there, could you create a ticket at dev.haiku-os.org with more details so the developers can look into the issue? Thanks!

You can if you’re patient enough. I was able to find Georges-Edouard Berenger to ask him to re-license the source code for Process Controller when others failed. Moreover, some of these people are still registered on the forum and can be contacted quite easily: @axeld, @stippi etc.

I did not propose to submit an article to this particular magazine. Instead, the new article would follow the same structure and cover similar topics as the original one. And it can be published elsewhere.

1 Like

A follow up to my IEEE Spectrum article might be nice, as it has been almost 10 years. Though I need to re-read it myself, LOL, and I know I made some embarrassingly bad and overly optimistic predictions about Haiku releases. I am more realistic and cynical these days :wink:

I’m not sure if a long form article would work well in a blog on the Haiku website but I could write it all out and release it in parts. I say write it all out at once because if I write it in parts I’d be afraid there would be too much delay between parts. Anyhow, good idea. We can figure out the details but I am willing to do the writing.

Also I’ve wanted to ask Michael Phipps something so I’ll see if I can get in contact with him. I would love to read (or watch!) interviews with him, Axel, Ingo, Stephan and some of the other people who have played a huge part in Haiku.

11 Likes

I did get in contact with Michael Phipps today. He is open to an interview around June when his semester ends, because he is now a professor at the University at Albany. Ironically (or maybe not), he is teaching about operating systems and he says he mentions Haiku fairly frequently.

He is lurks a bit on the Haiku subreddit and the website and to quote: “I am incredibly proud of the progress that has been made.”

Hopefully we can set up that interview and hear more from him later.

16 Likes

I live in NY and would love to video an interview with Michael Phipps. Ryan (or Michael if you’re lurking :wink: PM me contact info and lets set something up!

Jimmy (shaka444)

1 Like

I also added a Telegram group for the Promotion Team here- https://t.me/HaikuPromotionTeam

29 posts were split to a new topic: Chat systems to use for Haiku collaboration

I would propose for the marketing team to create user personas and user journeys.

For example, marketing efforts at this point seem to be focused mainly on end users of Haiku. However who are these people? Why should they move to this operating system to begin with? How to align marketing accordingly?

Also the biggest need, in my opinion, is to market to developers. I’m seeing great progress on Haiku, but the same old software available. I don’t want to use Haiku if there are no modern, natively running applications available to edit video, create 3D graphics, type letters, make spreadsheets, watch videos, et cetera.

So in my opinion 50% of the efforts should be focused on getting developers to write modern software on Haiku, and 50% to end users.

1 Like

It is called Haiku, not HaikuOS.

1 Like

We currently are working on a more thorough marketing/promotional strategy that will look at all aspects of Haiku and what strategies we can take to further promote it to people - developers and end-users will very likely be included in those strategies.

In the meantime, we are trying to work on promoting to developers: one area of interest we want to work on is getting Haiku ports of open-source apps recognised as “official” versions - i.e. websites list Haiku as a supported platform. I know that most, if not all the KDE apps can be used on Haiku, so KDE is one open-source project we are planning to work with. By having Haiku versions of apps recognised as official ports the developers of these ports can get recognition for their work, and hopefully, this will motivate people to make more ports of apps.

We do need more ideas on how to promote to developers, though, so if you have any suggestions on how we can do this, please let me know below :slight_smile:

That apps you are looking for? You can not use Windows Software, so you are almost up to date.

But we have this software available:

Wonderbrush (native haiku 2d painting)
Krita (ported qt 2d painting)
Blender (3d)
Medo Video Editor (alpha at work)
Libre office (office suite)

Isn’t Medo already in stable?

Don’t forget KDE’s office suite, Calligra.

And there’s much more available as well. Plus, anyone can get started making ports through HaikuPorts on GitHub.

In order to stop the drama about HaikuOS vs Haiku in forums, I am now silently editing all messages that mention “HaikuOS”. Just done for the one above.

9 Likes

@PulkoMandy you missed the quote of that original post in @lelldorin 's reply :wink:

Maybe there is a more automatic way? Does the forum have the ability to censor profanity? Could you make the software do some of the work for you? If so, you could add the incorrect text as a profanity and the correct text as the censored version?

Getting official Haiku ports are important. Mentioning Haiku among supported operating systems on ported applications’ websites is huge exposure. However, someone needs to step up with upstreaming all the code lying in patch sets. Networking with KDE Foundation would also help.

1 Like

It can censor words, but we can’t control what it replaces them with. I expect we will end up with “*****” instead and it would confuse everyone.

1 Like