Youtube etc? and which browser

Hi, just installed Haiku to a flash drive and must say gobsmacked at the speed. Would like to ask which is the best way of watching youtube etc.
I used ubertube and whilst very impressive it was slightly iffy getting it to work, considering how easy it is on other operating systems,( not to be construed as a moan ).
I would prefer to use the native browser ( I managed a work around to get my Xmarks to work ) but would appreciate other viewpoints. I ask because previously ( over 12 months ago ) I found Firefox to be unstable.
regards,
Eddie

http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/internet-network/utilities/a-web-video-player

Firefox/Bezilla on Haiku, is very outdated and slow.
The only native browser available, is WebPositive, shipped with Haiku, but WebPositive has many missing features (eg cannot store usernames and passwords)
You can also try Qupzilla: http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/internet-network/web-browsers/qupzilla-140-march-2013 is a QtWebKit browser (multiplatform) which is quite fast and has modern features, but sometimes is unstable due the current old and buggy QtWebKit available on Haiku.

Kim1963, thanks for that. Worked well, on a par with ubertuber.

[quote=Giova84]Firefox/Bezilla on Haiku, is very outdated and slow.
The only native browser available, is WebPositive, shipped with Haiku, but WebPositive has many missing features (eg cannot store usernames and passwords)
You can also try Qupzilla: http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/internet-network/web-browsers/qupzilla-140-march-2013 is a QtWebKit browser (multiplatform) which is quite fast and has modern features, but sometimes is unstable due the current old and buggy QtWebKit available on Haiku.[/quote]

The following comments are just that, comments and should not be construed or taken as negative in any way.

Loaded QupZilla approx 15 minutes ago. First impression ever so slightly slower than Webpositive.
Bookmarks as per the instructions given only HTML and as yet I haven’t got around how to edit the URL so as to boot it.
I D/L Firefox to try and get my Xmarks the object being to import my bookmarks from Ff but it wouldn’t install Xmarks.
Languages, no UK English.( Nothing against US English, but I just like to speak English like what the Queen does, so to speak!)(Joke)
I added Ixquick search engine( the only search engine I bother with ) to the manage search engine box.
Will keep using and will add any further findings later.

Have just been to a Uk newspaper the Daily Mail text only no photo’s. Tried a couple of other sites , same result.

That’s strange. Qupzilla is quite fast for the most of users, as you can see here for example: http://haikuware.com/remository/view-details/internet-network/web-browsers/qupzilla-140-march-2013#comment-9316

What revision of Haiku are you using? And is virtualized (vmware or virtualbox) or it’s running on real hardware?

[quote=Giova84]That’s strange. Qupzilla is quite fast for the most of users, as you can see here for example: http://haikuware.com/remository/view-details/internet-network/web-browsers/qupzilla-140-march-2013#comment-9316

What revision of Haiku are you using? And is virtualized (vmware or virtualbox) or it’s running on real hardware?[/quote]

R1/alpha4(Revision hrevr1alpha4-44702).
OCZ 4 gig USB Flash stick.

NB. When I said slightly slower thats all, just slightly slower.Probably the average person wouldn’t notice it.

Been using it for several hours now and have had several crashes.
The Adress bar behaves oddly. When I type in an addy it behaves just like Google. i.e. it gives me a page of results. I then select one and this then goes to where I originally asked for.
You didn’t offer any suggestion re no photo’s on sites i.e. Newspapers etc.

Uhm… Qupzilla, for me, loads fine newspaper and any website:
Qupzilla daily Mail
(click to enlarge)

You encounter the same issue using WebPositive?

ps: crashiness is due a QtWebKit bug, when on Haiku will be available a new port of QtWebKit, this automatically solve crashes.

EDIT: try to delete cache:TOOLS > CLEAR RECENT HISTORY.

In anyway i have just ported Qupzilla on Haiku: i’m not the author.

[quote=Giova84]Uhm… Qupzilla, for me, loads fine newspaper and any website:
Qupzilla daily Mail
(click to enlarge)

You encounter the same issue using WebPositive?

ps: crashiness is due a QtWebKit bug, when on Haiku will be available a new port of QtWebKit, this automatically solve crashes.

EDIT: try to delete cache:TOOLS > CLEAR RECENT HISTORY.

In anyway i have just ported Qupzilla on Haiku: i’m not the author.[/quote]

No WebPositive is good.
Re-crashiness. I was aware of the prob because I read the notes on it before using. I was merely informing you of them.
Have cleared history will give it a try and get back.

I rebooted into Window7 and D/L Qupzilla. It worked perfectly. Pictures all good.
Rebooted back to Haiku and again went to the DM and found that down the front page
which has numerous photo’s that two photo’s appeared, although they didn’t look like they had the correct resolution.
I have checked through the Prefernce panel but cannot see anything that might affect it.
Do you know if this has an “about:config” type command, so as to look at the configuration?

Bookmarks:: I have found a way to have my Xmark bookmarks working in QupZilla without having to edit them
From Xmarks export as HTML to the Haiku desktop.
D/Click on the bookmark icon ( on the Desktop ) WebPositive opens up showing all the bookmarks.
CnP the addy into the QupZilla Toolbar. Works perfectly.
Photo’s working.

Been running for over one hour solid, not one crash.
Am currently running three youtube video’s at the same time, plus QupZilla.
Starting to feel comfortable with it.

I guess for a corrupt download /wrong upload on Haikuware. Can you try to download and install it again?

I’ve had the same issue with no images in Qupzilla. I’ve tried the last two versions on R1A4 with no luck.

Boot Qupzilla. Select, Tools/preferences/Browser. Make sure the Enable XSS Auditing is checked. i.e. has an X in it.

If you like the speed, try some of the other killer features. For example I love stack and tile - hold down the windows key and drag+drop a window tab onto another window tab to make them stack. Or next to each other to tile. Try holding ctrl+alt then re-sizing windows with the right mouse button. It’s so much easier than any other other OS!

As Giova84 says, hopefully we will soon get a new, more stable, version of qupzilla with full html5 support. WebPositive should eventually get this, too.

Have fun!

[quote=Munchausen]If you like the speed, try some of the other killer features. For example I love stack and tile - hold down the windows key and drag+drop a window tab onto another window tab to make them stack. Or next to each other to tile. Try holding ctrl+alt then re-sizing windows with the right mouse button. It’s so much easier than any other other OS!

As Giova84 says, hopefully we will soon get a new, more stable, version of qupzilla with full html5 support. WebPositive should eventually get this, too.

Have fun![/quote]

That is probably my second favorite feature about Haiku, second only to it’s blistering fast speed! My main PC runs Windows 8 and I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been in situations where the stack & tile feature would have been very useful. I can’t wait for the day when Haiku is ready for everyday use, the sooner I can get rid of Windows 8 the better!