X11 support for Haiku

Oh, yeah. There’s a lot of compatibility problems. I used WeirdX back in the BeOS days, together with PersonalJava.

Where do I find your personal repository. Also do you have maybe a little blog article about it, that others can find it also?

Just to be clear, my like for this comment was for suggesting WeirdX, not to support the other statement that was edited in later on

I made a mistake again then.

I am just completely disgusted by what *nixes became, i am strongly in opposition against gnu and linux, all of them made so much harm which i cant forgive. They are “good enough” to be a roadblock in innovation, they stopped the way-searching / experimenting how a desktop OS should work, and in the meantime desktop became obsolate and we still dont achaived the peak performance. And maybe it is already late. I blame linux and gnu for this.
Because this reasons i am also opposed to introduce more unixism than necessary into Haiku.

Just look at the comment from @lelldorin : is it really the Haiku way if we have to write a tutorial how to start a gui program? Because it is not intuitive, most of the Haiku users (not devs) probably never had to start x server manually. They wont be able to do that without a tutorial. We can definetely create a wrapper script with nice icon, wich spawns an x server and starts the program. A hack on a hack, just like linux.

But you have right, WeirdX have compatibility problems, it crashed all the time for me too.

I just cant see the point in all of this convoluted stuff to being able to say gimp runs on Haiku, we are big boys now. Who cares.
Maybe i am a bit like Theo, if i cant do something right, then i dont do it at all.
Probably i should have some rest.

Sorry, if my edited comment made a misunderstanding. I will stop doing that in the future.

2 Likes

And it not just x11, getting gimp to work would mean lets package

• x11
  • x fonts
  • icon packs
  • cursors
  • gtk and its deps
  • and whatever it needs
    This is an ugly mess, we should seriously think about if it is rational. Because this is a flooding gate, we cant close it later.

And even if do all of this gimp would be still an alien on Haiku.

1 Like

This is an interesting point. I guess the packages that are provided into Haikuports must have some kind of “support” from the community. In this way, if some port is considerated “not supported” (by any reason: because not following the guidelines, incompatibility, lack of integration, wathever),makes sense to not have it included.

I guess the problem is we try to get everything under the HaikuPorts umbrella. In this point I strong support the existence of alternative repos, where the repo owner could make his own rules, and the users could choose if they stick to the “official” repo, of if he like to do some experimentation, could access to “unofficial” packages, without mixing everything in the same bag.

PD: sorry in advance if my english is a bit crude. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My repo - http://haikuware.ru
But X11 not packaged and not uploaded yet

4 Likes
  1. I does not know thst it is a gui program.
  2. If you have haiku specific tutorials around, displayed by searching, this makes haiku present
  3. Not ever gui app are self explaining
  4. The most haiku apps are without docs

screenshot45

10 Likes

Can be this a better candidate? https://github.com/ghaerr/microwindows

2 Likes

Hmm…
I’m not sure that’s a good idea. It’s weird, buggy and pointless stuff.
But it works.

7 Likes

Thanks. I managed to make it working for me (32 bit, gcc4+). But I needed to add path to xorg-macros to every autogen.sh because macros directory is packagefs managed and read only (I don’t know much how Autotools work and how to deal with it). Also I needed to create symlink for libXaw.so.7 because it is only present in develop directory.

Surprisingly many X11 libraries are already present in HaikuPorts.

Xsdl2

5 Likes

As a long-term Gentoo Linux and OmniOS user, I vote against.

For one thing, even *nix is moving from creaky old insecure X now, towards Wayland. Whilst X will likely be around for decades, just like FORTRAN and COBOL, it will be an historical curiosity. X is clever technology but it just doesn’t fit the modern computing scene. By the time any X server implementation were written and ready, X will be even less relevant than it is today. Let it go. Move on.

To render a Wayland desktop, you need only an RDP client.

You actually need a wayland server, since wayland is a protocol.
If you use a RDP client it doesn’t really matter to us if the other end is X11 or wayland, so no difference there.

OpenBSD still has their X11 server in base, for the other BSD’s they don’t seem too eager to “switch” and both will likely be supported for years to come, some linux distros are trying to push wayland, but even picking the latest ubuntu LTS still gets you X11.

A lot of the “X11 is insecure” stuff refers to vague stuff like apps beeing able to read the clipboard, capture the entire screen… which you can do just fine with our app_server, so dunno if we are “secure” by that metric either.
I’d be more concerned that X11 has deadlocks in the protocol you can trigger or so, if a user gets that accidentally that is extremely frustrating.

In any case, haiku needs neither X11 or wayland. Maybe once we have a gui frontend for remote desktops we will add an option for whatever protocol for that is popular in linux then, but even then we likely don’t need to understand anything of wayland.

1 Like

No one knows very well how autotools work ))

4 Likes

photo_2021-03-26_23-32-41

13 Likes

Rootless mode! Now that is actually much nicer. I guess if we have to deal with X11 for now it may not be as bad if we at least are using rootless mode.

5 Likes

Some of us have been keeping tracks on some of the labraries (as some are used in recipes), but have to say I didn’t look into them for a long time now, so probably lots are outdated? :wink:

They are outdated in general, so don’t worry :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@3dEyes
How have you got the X11 libs to work ?
when I compile a X11 app, set the DISPLAY environment variable to the Address of my X11 server and run it, I get the error:
XIO: fatal IO error -2147454933 Operation not supported