Workspace specific screen brightness setting

Would you like to have a way to define different screen brightness for the different workspaces? This would be maybe an unexpected feature, but it is possible to implement it, so the question is: is there any use case where this would be useful? Would you use it?

• Yes, i think it would be useful
  • Maybe somebody would use it
  • No, i see no point having this

0 voters

Good day @extrowerk,

I could think of a use case for that, which is check color fidelity with different brightness. I’m thinking about game development here. One could have different workspaces with different brightness in order to modify the color gamma of the scenes to make it scarier or funnier regardless the brightness (to certain extent).

Same would apply for graphic design.

Yes, color temperature is a totally different matter and is hardware managed by the display itself. I presume this is why almost all wallpapers seem oversaturated, so users feel the “punch” of the colors even with low brightness.

Nonetheless, this is my lucky guess on the topic.
Regards,
RR

Yeah, I thought along those lines, too. But I think the panel brightness is a very rough tool for that sort of application. To be really useful, Haiku would need full blown colour management. This has to be set for individual workspaces (related: multi monitor).
For panel brightness alone, I think this is not worth the additional complexity.

1 Like

Agree @humdinger. I rather have multimonitor support and screen rotation than the brightness control :wink:

Regards,
RR

I would like very much to have brightness control for VESA graphics. This is higher in my list than screen rotation. This is not a problem with those having their graphic card detected but it’s indeed for those of us using VESA driver. Currently I am using the work-around of adjusting brightness during boot before Haiku loads using dedicated keys. Even that helps a lot compared to nothing :slight_smile:

Of course multi-monitor is above everything !!

Ideally, in pro usage, the brightness (and all other physical controls on the monitor) are locked in a known state and then a color probe is used to calibrate the screen and to produce an unique monitor profile.

Ofc, I know Haiku has not color management yet, but this is to say that i think that it’s better to not have so many degrees of freedom on those settings that experts say that should not vary so often.

I had found a workaround to increase / decrease the screen brightness inside Haiku when the standard control is not supported in the Screen Preferences. There is:

1. Open the Screen Preferences
  2. Change some value, for example, the refresh rate, or color depth.
  3. When hit the Apply button, the screen will became blank for a few seconds.
  4. During that black seconds, you can try do adjust the brightness using the default keys from your keyboard (usually, functions keys, or FN+function keys).

Not sure if this hack will work in all of cases, but at least, works in an old Compaq laptop, with an Intel GM45 card.

1 Like

Interesting!! Will certainly try it! Thanks a lot :blush::slight_smile:

Update:tried it but changes too fast (!), no much time to try anything in between…

First a note to clarify why this poll is there. I have been working on saving the brightness setting in app_server setting file and restoring it on the next boot (because having it revert to max brightness on each reboot is not great, right). I stored it in the place that made more sense to me, with the video mode. But the video mode can be different for each workspace.

For now the brightness will be global (or rather, per monitor when we get multiple monitor support, I guess).

We have implemented the code for that and found that no VESA BIOS implements the needed function. Complain to the provider of your VESA BIOS, on our side there is nothing we can do about it.

Does the slider not display for you? It should be there for all Intel cards, I thought. Please open a bugreport with a syslog otherwise.

Here’s a use-case, among others, for multi-brightness:

Often in the evening (dark-ish room) I have Web+ full-screen in one WS (workspace), and Terminal full-screen in another WS.

Terminal is set to dark theme (white on black). W+ is… very white (haven’t found a “dark” theme to my liking for the fossil pages I use). So when I switch back and forth between the Terminal WS and the W+ WS it’s very… flashy.

Absent a dark-ish solution to webpositive, a good crutch solution would be to set the Web+ WS at a much lower brightness level than the Terminal one, problem solved.

1 Like

That’s a use case that’s not easily generalized… :slight_smile:
What if you browse to a darker site in Web+? What’s with the 3rd workspace that shows a PDF with dark and light pages alternating? Etc.

What could be kinda neat, if it can be done right: Dynamic brightness adjustment depending on the brightness/area of objects on screen. The user just sets an “Ambience” setting with a slider.
Bonus points for automating that by reading the Ambient-Sens-O-Matic plugged into your GeekPort™. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello! Yes, I already had open a ticket:
https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/16341

No idea here,
but if it is easy to implement… why not!
Just do it!
I think someone can really use it!

that is actually my very same use case, i’m working on a web page that uses a bright theme, but have the editor on a dark theme and changing between them is uneasy

I humbly disagree. Less is more. Adding features without a reason why will led to inconsistent and complex UX.

1 Like

yes, you are right here. As I said, for myself I have no problem with brightness on my screens. For me its easy to change the brightness of the monitor or with the fn-keys… But as I said some user could have a real interest in a easy change brightness by switching the workspace. The setting will be in the screen applet like the screen size is… so not too much of confusion could occur…