Working with latest Apple Mac Mini?

Will Haiku work with the latest Mini,

2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
4GB memory
AMD Radeon HD 6630M

Thanks for your help,
==Leonard

My iMac (of summer 2011) hangs with the white ribbon on the blue desktop. (Using vesa safe mode video. Revision hrev43559.) Sadly it doesn’t get to printing anything informative about the error condition, and there’s no warm reset possible on this hardware AFAIK. (Which would have preserved the sessions in-RAM debug buffer for later extraction.)

You may have better luck of course, but try before you buy!

You’ll probably need to install rEFIt: http://refit.sourceforge.net/

I had Haiku running on bare silicon on my 2007 iMac but haven’t tried that on the 2010 model yet.

The thing to watch out for is overheating. Macs seem to depend on software to tell them when to switch their fans on. Which is why running Haiku in VirtualBox may be a better bet.

On my 2010 model Mac Mini it could boot from USB Thumb Drive but no sound and not networking. Was able to use a USB/Ethernet Dongle to get networking for Internet working but no sound so was not usable in my opinion.

tj

I didn’t know about VirtualBox. I’ve tried that now. Very easy to use! Ah, I’m having trouble booting it after the install. Oh, well, I’ll poke at it more. Thanks.

Edit: Recent reboots have gone quickly. VirtualBox starts fast and Haiku boots quickly in it. I’ve configured it for the networking recommended elsewhere, and have that going.

So, Haiku R1/Alpha 3 is now running in VirtualBox on my 13" mid-2009 MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.7.2 Lion.

Cool!

According to Apple the USB stick needs to be in GUID partition format.

Haiku doesn’t offer that kind of image yet, but only ISO9660, a raw BFS filesystem image (with initial bootcode), and the “anyboot” hydrid iso9660 + dos partitioning (IIRC).

At http://www.haiku-files.org/haiku/development/

To actually boot from a stick on an intel Mac, I think you have to press some key. Random google appears to say Opt or Alt, or Opt-T.

Hello. I have a MacBook Pro. I have tried Haiku on it, booting from a CD, 'cause I don’t know how to make a bootable USB drive that a Mac can boot from.

I have a USB memory stick, and I can boot Haiku from it with my Asus laptop.
But I read somewhere that Macs are more complicated.
An extra step is needed before the Mac can boot from the USB.
How do I make a Haiku USB thumbdrive that a Mac can boot from?