Word Processor for Haiku?

The install does have some quirks. Besides having to do multiple attempts to get Joeffice to install, it appears that the desktop icon can be buggy. In both of my installs, after the initial running of Joeffice by the command line I’ve been able to use the desktop and Application menu links without any changes to permissions.

This is because descript version of Joeffice are build for Linux and therefore the scripts also build on it.

Yep! I’ve made a zip file of Joeffice, so that I don’t need to play with the installer. Tested using the zip file to install it, and I haven’t had any trouble using Joeffice.

Out of curiosity, I played with another Java installer for Linux on a Java web browser called Lobo, and I was able to install Lobo-098.3 which is quite dated. This version was one of the last versions that used Openjdk-1.7. Newer releases of it use OpenJdk-1.8.

Hello,
i installed joeffice and it works. But only the Word Tool work, the other ones like spreadsheet, presentation and so on not.

I think, that something in haiku is missing to use that, can be?

Best regards
Lorglas

Today OnlyOffice (http://www.onlyoffice.com/fr/download-desktop.aspx) released the sourcecode for their desktop editors. It appears to be Qt + embedded web view (https://github.com/ONLYOFFICE/DesktopEditors). Maybe this could be ported to Haiku?

1 Like

Onlyoffice looks very interesting. I loaded the mac version. Very slow on first startup - it looks like it is a very bare-bones app that has to download a lot of stuff from the net. On second launch it is fine.

I loaded a 200-page .docx with no problem. No menu, just a toolbar - my least favourite UI metaphor. Does not do footnotes. Not only can you not insert new ones, but it does not even recognise existing ones in an imported document. Does handle comments/track changes. Bit slow to scroll the document. Overall impression is of an offline version of GoogleDocs or Zoho.

It is a lot more than we have ATM. Porting it is probably above my pay grade, which won’t stop me from trying

1 Like

good feedback :slight_smile:
I’m sure that a developer will read this and reply :innocent:

Locally hosted web-based office is interesting. Make it work with WebPositive and we’d have at least some kind of solution.

:joy: You know that pulkomandy is one of the most active developers of haiku atm? - and a verry helpfull person for people like me wich are kind of noobs in softwaredevelopment :joy:

Yes, but at the moment I don’t have much time to dig into OnlyOffice sources myself, so help is appreciated. Even if you don’t know much C++, try checking out the sources, compiling them, and see how far it goes.
This would already help knowing the skill level and amount of effort needed. Then we can decide if we should put one of our highly skilled devs on it, leave it to “the community” (whatever that means?), or split it up in GCI tasks or make it a GSoC project.

2 Likes