With latest update Haiku freezes after restart

I setup Haikudepot to get updates daily. With the last update from yesterday (27.04.2023).
Without any changes to my (Laptop) Hardware, it now freezes after restart. Only a non-moving mouse cursor on a clear blue screen is visible.

Any advise?

Things can break once in a while in nightlies, better use stable branch instead.
This said, boot from a previous state and if after next update batch, the problem persists open a ticket. Of course, you will have to provide more details.

How can I do this?
And how can I generate details, when the machine does not come up. Any hints how to get into a “save mode”?

BTW: Next tine I will stay on released version.

At boot, press and hold shift or spacebar before seeing the icons to enter Haiku boot loader. The option to select boot volume also allows to select a previous state. Of course, this only works if you didn’t used FilWip to wipe them all! In select debug options menu, you can save the syslog from a previous boot.

1 Like

Cool that works.
But IMHO this setting is not found at first sight on the web site but buried deep in the site.

It’s in the User guide, which is linked from the Desktop, is a bookmark in WebPositive and linked from the Haiku front page. :slight_smile:

Is this a nightly build or the beta?

I don’t see any bug reports about anything like this, so unless someone else runs into it and reports this problem, it may not get fixed…

pkgman full-sync - update: 04/28/2023

1. shutdown -r

• Boot up to desktop: PASSED - with movable mouse cursor.
    • Opened a terminal window from desktop: PASSED - no issues.
  2. uname -a

• Haiku hrev56949+2 x64 (nightly build)

So, the current latest installed build does pass for a full bootup/reboot on certain desktop hardware.

The network is available.

With latest nightly hrev56949+2, I have this repeated entries in the syslog:

KERN: usb error control pipe 47: timeout waiting for queued request to complete
KERN: usb error hub 46: error updating port status
KERN: usb error control pipe 47: KERN: timeout waiting for queued request to complete
KERN: usb error hub 46: error updating port status
KERN: usb error control pipe 47: timeout waiting for queued request to complete

With the version from hrev56900 it boots.

Should I make an error ticket and attach the whole syslog?

Yes. Helps the devs track the issue.

I created a ticket and attached the syslog to it.

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/18393