Wireless conection with static IP and WEP

Hello! I’m trying to configure my Wireless conection. I have an Intel 5100 wireless card (it’s detected and uses the Intel 4965 driver). How can I configure it with a static IP and with WEP?

http://www.haiku-os.org/guides/daily-tasks/wireless

I tried it, but I can’t connect to the Internet. I introduce the IP, gateway, etc in Network and then I use the command “ifconfig /dev/net/iprowifi3945/0 join wifitopia mypassword” (replacing driver, network and password, of course) but I continue without connection. When I write ping www.google.com in terminal it gives me an error that it didn’t found the server.

What can I do?

Which version of Haiku? Check if you also have setwep in your Haiku. If you have setwep then you must use that instead.

You sure your network is WEP & not WPA?

Can you ping your router (gateway)? If no, you’re not connecting to router for different reasons. If yes, then you have DNS issue.

If newer Haiku do:
ifconfig /dev/net/iprowifi3945/0 list
*change iprowifi3945/0 to what yours is (in terminal, start from /dev/net and go through the folders)

I’m using a nightly build and ifconfig (I tried R2 but it didn’t recognise my wireless card. I’m sure it’s WEP. I don’t know what’s “ping my router” but DNS are corect because I use the same in Windows. I see my connection and I followed the steps to put the WEP key but I don’t know how to put the Ip, mask,etc. (I put them in Network, but it doesn’t work.

How can I connect to the Internet?

Greetings!

I too have this issue. If i OPEN my network with NO SECURITY i can get into
my network, on the internet, use installoptionalpackage, get good ping results
from my router, etc. As soon as i reset the router to WEP settings i get nothing
at all.

I have tried these solutions that are posted in the forum but nothing works!

I tried the (/boot/common/settings/network/wireless_networks) trick and
used:

network mynetwork {
password mypassword
}
as per instructions and nothing changes.

If i use Terminal and do -> ifconfig /dev/net/atheroswifi/0 list (or anything else)
then all i get is a bunch of instructions on commands that work in ifconfig.

So, like some of the others i am becoming frustrated. Anyone have any new ideas?
If so i am ALL EARS! (or eyes)

Thanks in advance! (just in case)

I like Haiku BeOS but must have access to my network and internet.

what version of Haiku? Try setwep in terminal. Haiku used setwep first and later changed to different method.

Your network device might be different from atheroswifi. In terminal, ls /dev/net & subfolders. What is your network card? listdev in terminal & copy info for network card.

Are you using or have you tried with 64 or 128 bit WEP?

The latest public information on the state of wireless networking in haiku is in this forum post by Axel. My reading of the situation is that he was getting along fairly well but, ran into the issue of how to safely store passwords/passkeys. Since this is a security issue that affects more than just networking, it appears that Axel has decided to work on a “password roster API” with a view to using it in his wireless implementation.

For now, I only intend to implement the basic services needed to make it work as far as I need it for the network stuff. The rest will grow over time.
My sense is that full wireless access is really close to becoming a reality. It's just that all the pre-requisites have to be met like how do you safely store encryption keys for commonly accessed networks?

Sorry for going of a bit there but I guess what I’m saying is, with the recent hectic pace of development in wireless access, all the available documentation might be out of date.

Alan

Since this thread kind of died out i thought
i should stir the pot a little bit here.

Yes i know about setwep and tried all of
that. As for my router i use 64 bit WEP
but i don’t think it matters much either
way. I’ll repeat what i said in my previous
post…

With NO security i can network and internet
just fine so my ATHEROS wireless card works
fine with ‘atheroswifi’ settings. It is
stictly the configs or coding in Haiku
that prevent the WEP/WAP from working. The
main reason i keep checking back here on
this thread is to see if anyone else comes
up with a workaround since none of the
STANDARD suggestions are working for me.
What is really needed is a decent network
setup utility that includes the WEP/WAP
etc.

Well, i’ll keep trying and checking back
here… I’m sure that eventually the solution
will arrive. BTW, i have tried nightly builds
(various ones) and same thing happens BUT i
am running the current version that is available
from the main page of the website.

Dave

I essentially have the same problem as others, I have an iprowifi2200 wireless card in a toshiba satellite M65-S9092. I have found the following clues.

1. I have to disable the onboard lan card in the bios to allow Haiku to see my wireless card.
  2. I loaded the install-wifi-firmwares.sh
  3. I have tried connecting without WEP and had no success.
  4. tried using the network preferences, however the “Network” section doesn’t show unless I use ifconfig (no setwep)
  5. I can scan wireless networks, but I cannot “join”, I don’t get an error, just a “CR” and blinking cursor.
  6. I have tried the daily_tasks/wireless instructions to no avail. I have also tried putting the 0x in front of the hex password and it didn’t help.
  7. I am running 64 bit 10 hex configuration on the router.
  8. STRANGE ! I used ifconfig to join the network and it found my isp and my isp dns settings, but not my router dhcp settings. It’s like it passed through my router and found my isp. Not sure how that happened, it may be that it somehow A. found my cable modem or B. inadvertently connected to an unencrypted router/cable modem.
  9. In some cases, if I switch from static to DHCP network locks up and I have to reboot. This may be because it’s unable to connect to the network and is getting stuck in limbo.
  10. finally, putting in manually configured wireless_networks and ip settings, as best as I can figure out, (they may be wrong)doesn’t help either.

Could someone put an edited copy of what the network config files “should” look like?
Maybe if I configured everything manually that may work?
thanks.

djg5211 look this thread:
http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/cant_get_wireless_work_help