WiFi not working on Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275

For some reason, WiFi does not work on installed Haiku, but it worked on LiveCD, same hardware.
No networks are shown, ifconfig /dev/net/idualwifi7260/0 scan says Operation not supported.

listdev:
device Network controller [2|80|0]
vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
device 24fd: Wireless 8265 / 8275

I’ve tried install-wifi-firmwares.sh (and adding firmwares from Linux with script did not work too, the result is same)

(I don’t think it’s really relevant, but it’s worth noting that I’ve done some grub shenanigans to make it launch, can it affect this somehow?)

What happened? How can I fix this?

Thanks!

1 Like

Please open a ticket in the Haiku development tracker to report this issue, to help the developers track this problem,

1 Like

just out of curiosity, are you booting in uefi mode? I had a problem with wifi not working in this typical instance., had to boot back in legacy mode

yep, I’m booting in UEFI mode. How do I boot in legacy mode though? Grub doesn’t really let me do that (at least the way I’ve done it)

I am on a Thinkpad X230. I mean in the computer bios, boot setup, I have a choice of using UEFI or legacy. When I tried playing with UEFI boot following this “UEFI Booting Haiku | Haiku Project”, my intel wifi chip was not correctly recognized anymore. When booting in legacy, I have no problem.

1 Like

Hmm… My UEFI does not have this thing for some reason… Is there anything else I can try?

If you still have the LiveCD, you can try to verify if it boots in UEFI or in legacy mode.
Basically check what says Screen app; it should be different. In case of UEFI, it will mention framebuffer.
Once you’re certain that your LiveCD boots in legacy mode, you can reasonably think that it could work booting from a disk. The easiest way would be to install bootmanager so you take the hand before Grub does. Though you shouldn’t try that if your partitions are made using GPT partition scheme because you may overwrite some infos at beginning of the disk.

Neither LiveCD nor installed Haiku mentions framebuffer in screen app. I’m not really sure, what should I do now? Can I use livecd somehow to legacy boot into the system?

The liveCD can boot both ways. Try to start from LiveCD but enter Haiku bootloader right after and chose to boot from the partition of your install. See if you can connect.

LiveCD bootloader doesn’t see the partition on my drive. There is only one partition in bootloader from the USB stick.

This script is not needed unless you use hardware built in the 1990s. I don’t know why people insist on trying to run it.

If I remember correctly, this is normal, the OpenBSD drivers don’t have an explicit “rescan” command but they always scan for networks in the background.

Not if there is a driver for the videocard. So that isn’t a reliable way to check for this.

It’s hard to guess more about what went wrong from the info here. I think you can open a bugreport as said in the first reply, and you can include the syslog (/var/log/syslog) from both the working livecd case, and the non-working install. We can analyze them and hopefully understand the difference.

With Haiku gaining in popularity, less users will have a technical background. Perhaps, this information is important enough to figure in AboutSystem? It would be easier to retrieve than checking the syslog.

2 Likes

New finding: Android’s USB modem and USB WiFi dongle works, so I’m using the latter for now.

Regarding bug reports, I can’t find how to create a bug report / ticket. Where I can do this? Trac website looks rather confusing.

it is always success.

Just create an account, if you haven’t already, then log in and chose 'New Ticket".
The reason why we are giving the link to this page is that there are useful informations in ‘Using the tracker’ section. At first, default Trac theme is a bit puzzling, indeed. Once you know that things in red are links, it goes better.

I don’t see the point, the user isn’t who has to fix this but the developer. and we want the syslog. Maybe we can make this easier to access (maybe a system log application) or easier to open a bug report (maybe allow logins via third party providers too?)

But in the end this info is not relevant to end users.

You mean a button to click in the “About Haiku” window/screen,
to get the syslog on the Desktop?

Or send the syslog by clicking to Clipboard?

Just an indication that you have boot in UEFI so the user can say it, if asked.

2 Likes

This is available in HaikuDepot. I have found it useful in examining log files.
https://glogg.bonnefon.org/
https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/pkg/glogg/haikuports/haikuports_x86_64/1/1/4/-/2/x86_64

Easiest way:

1. Capture syslog of successful Live CD boot to desktop.
  2. Capture syslog of successful boot to desktop (from a HD/USB installation).
  3. Post that info in a ticket for dev review.

Devs may ask you to run a few commands for further info…