Why I will not carry on testing haiku right now

Not trying to bully, that’s not my style. Your humor aside it has come off as poking buttons, and I guess tantrum is the wrong word. Throwing your toys out of the pram? But its appropriate. Instead of the attitude of “no, i’m not going to do that because I’ve already reinstalled linux” on the problematic devices .

You were asked:

But again that happend then? The system crashed? Any error message? The system freezed?

Have you stored any bug message? Taken a photo of the screen? That changes of the boot options you have tried on bootup?

To which you replied with no and started a fire with

It doesn’t, and Apple make it EXPLICITLY CLEAR on which hardware the versions of
their OS will run.

Then started posting saying that you’re not going to contribute any further.

Then something about groovy computers. stating QED which is latin for essentially “I’m right your wrong”. That always causes a disturbance. I’m sure haiku could be groovy. I would like to see Haiku be groovy. And this thread is now kind of moot.

But if you wanted to be helpful and show support, the way to go is to give it another shot with a nightly release and then come back posting in this thread “this what happened, this how it happened, can someone come and take a look at?” in a bug ticket with any errors or screenshots.

Note, I don’t represent anyone of Haiku, nor assiocated with. Might of overstepped … oops thats all from me.

1 Like

It is Haiku not haiku… !?
sorry lelldorin could not resist…

Maybe someone should write an article on the Haiku main page… about Haiku and why ist is named that way!

No silly…Haiku OS as in Haiku operating system… I’m sure people would appreciate it if you quit being combative about this.

Just because the name is Haiku doesn’t mean people can’t use the OS colloquialism as in Haiku OS … which is correct in that sense even if that isn’t the name of the product. Just as my Linux OS,Windows OS, Android OS or WhatHaveYou OS isn’t the official name of Windows or Linux etc… yet you don’t see too many people making much ado about nothing in those cases.

If people were saying the Haiku-OS operating system… you’d have some ground to stand on in your argument.

3 Likes

exactly. Haiku OS is not the name, it’s a name (Haiku) of the OS, combined with the clarification (OS, the abbreviation so very well distinguished in the computer world) of what this name is reffering to. If it were spelled HaikuOS, Haiku/OS, Haiku-OS or alike, it would be definitely a name distortion, which not surprisingly would get involved people annoyed, but when people get offended by Haiku OS… I don’t understand the persistence of fighting against this. Sorry for not staying silent about this though - I am an outsider here and apparently my opinion isn’t needed, but I see this topic surface over and over and finally I gave up. :smiley: Someone of the prominent participants said recently that he would prefer “Haiku operating system”, when it’s needed to clarify and that “OS” is “wrong”, but “OS” is literally an abbreviation of “operating system”! and what would forcing people to use a 16 symbol long term instead of 2 be then if usage of “Haiku OS” is “disrespectful”?
I get it, that the reason some people are so sensitive about it is because the “OS” part sticks to “Haiku” more often, than say to Windows or Linux, but is this a reason to start burning? maybe it’s an evolvement of the name? natural one, because of some quantum effects as incomprehensible as inevitable? :smiley: and thus, no matter how more times yet this “it’s haiku, not haiku os” flame arises, after some time, people over here will be insisting “it’s HaikuOS, not just Haiku”. :smiley: But anyway, I see this that when people use “Haiku OS” it’s not intended to be a single name, not to mention - to be a disrespect.

I cannot tell you how energy draining these discussions are for the forum admin team. The devs largely manage to ignore them, besides PulkoMandy who cares deeply enough to keep coming back to take abuse.

In the vast majority of cases, it’s a new user that has a question and is made aware in a half-sentence that “it’s not Haiku OS, just Haiku”. Most people get it, respect the wish of the people that have worked on it for 2 decades to have their project known under the name they chose, and we continue to deal with their actual problem.

As a form of self-preservation, I’ll be linking to the decade old FAQ when pointing out Haiku’s registered name in the future.
Posts that continue with that name-the-OS disussion will be moderated.

/thread

12 Likes