Why I will not carry on testing haiku right now

This is a good point, it might make sense to cut out support for really old hardware and not waste resources on it.

@richmond62 well I for one can see the humour in some of your posts :smile:

I also think that the haiku os name pedantry has gone a bit far, its a lot like “GNU/Linux” vs “Linux”.

And if you can file bug reports it would really help getting issues resolved. I do find haiku hardware support patchy, but you should find the rest of the OS is beta level now if you can get it running. It may be that you have been particularly unlucky with your hardware, a sample size of two is quite low. Having said that I’ve rarely installed haiku to find everything just works, and have a few machines it wont reliably boot on. Good luck with your next attempt too, I’m sure your Dad would be happy the machine is seeing use!

1 Like

Now asking people to tell your name correctly is pedantry. Ok then. I will misspell everyone name, because surely it isn’t that important? Or randomly swap Mr. and Mrs. because surely that isn’t important either.

When we built this project we have picked a name for it. It is part of its identity. And we want people to call it by its name. Is that too much to ask? Wouldn’t it be rude to you if people would keep swapping your first name for another similar one? Won’t you think this is lack of respect against you? Well that’s how I feel when someone is calling Haiku “Haiku” and likewise when someone calls me “AurĂ©lien” instead of Adrien (that also happens more often than you’d think). I point out the mistake, people quickly apologize and the discussion continues on the relevant topics, that’s all.

5 Likes

If people ask for help, I will explain them how to make a bug report and hopefully get things fixed. But here we have someone telling “why I will not carry on”. That’s their choice, and why should I try to retain them?

So yes, it’s beta/nightly, there are bugs, if what you want is a production ready system, go look elsewhere or come back in a few years. If you want to help, yes, fine, we can tell you how to make bugreports, etc. But I feel this is not what was asked here.

4 Likes

Personally I feel shortening the name is more of a colloquialism, like calling Windows 2000 “Win 2K”, but I try to always use the correct name anyway. But I don’t think people were always corrected about this around here, and I think that you can read a broad range of topics lately where someone new arrives and the first thing they are told is that they are doing something wrong, sometimes briefly and sometimes at length, and I start to wonder if it is a bit unwelcoming. And I think you may be fighting a futile battle, just like Stallman with GNU/Linux, which means it may really just be wasted time for you and everyone in the end.

I don’t want anyone to change what they are doing, if you guys think correcting people is the right thing to do, maybe you are right. And I really don’t want to waste your time worrying about it too much because you already have enough to deal with from development, complaints, discussions, reviews, helping people etc.

Calling a person the wrong name is a bit of a different, more personal, thing, and I don’t know if it’s fair to compare the two so directly. I don’t think there is any offence meant by anyone, certainly not me, I have the greatest respect for Haiku OS, its developers and its users. So, I am sorry if I have offended you with my comments, it was not my intent. I will say no more about it!

So “Haiku” is shorter than “Haiku”?

Haiku is very personal for me. So yes, people calling me by the wrong name happens by mistake, because they know someone with a similar first name, etc. My parents often mix up my name and my brother’s. It’s not too bad, as I said, I just point it out and things go on. That’s how it should be, people get corrected once about the name of the project and then we move on to the other more important things. It gets annoying only if everytime it dives into an endless debate about it.

Augh! It’s HAIKU! HAI-KU. Can it be that hard?

2 Likes

Slightly ambig. what with that web address and all. :slight_smile:

I always called it Haiku. And as it repeatedly comes up, I have somehow thought I had it wrong, and started to make a point of calling it Haiku OS. I have only been trying to do what is correct, but these discussions have even managed to confuse me. I do think that if you invert Haiku and Haiku OS my post is still pretty much all valid though. And again, sorry, I have not been trying to offend. I think the point is, this is a confusing issue for new and old users, and we should not get too worked up about it. My feeling is that it is taken too seriously and wastes a lot of time. I understand you feel differently, and it’s your project/forum, so OK then, point taken.

Personally (Wow: just corrected that from “Peronally” having extracted the wife of an Argentinian crypto-fascist from a computer with a paper-clip) I run loads of computers in my business which I explain to customers as running “Linux”:
I could bore the pants off them by wibbling on about how the Xubuntu I deploy is a variant of Ubuntu that is in term somehow derived from Debian and it has something called an XFCE windowing environment strapped on the front. I could also explain that all that is a sort of “GNU-Linux” and that “Linux” only refers to the kernel, and that “GNU” refers to an animal that is also called a Wildebeest that runs around in herds on the East African plains . . . then I could explain that by “East African plains” I really mean Air Uganda, Kenyan Airways and so on. Now, when push-comes-to-shove my customers just want my product (I teach 6 to 17 year old Bulgarians English) and they do NOT want to hear how my computers have East African herbivores inside: And if I say “Haiku OS” (which, of course means all that long explanation about having old sausages inside one’s machine) or “Haiku” (stuff kimonos through the CD drive), or just, “I have all these groovy computers running in my school stuffed to the gills with programs designed by me to brainwash your children” . . . quod erat demonstrandum.

1 Like

Ok @richmond62,

Why you are here? If you love linux and you have there everything you need and all you expierience are there, why coming in our forum to discuss again and again the same points? Stay there you come from, because you want a system like this.

Everyone is welcome to our community, every can help developing, translating, testing
 but we need no big discussions about a fact. The name is haiku and haiku is a OS.

I hope the admin close this discussion now.

1 Like

@richmond62 there is no QED. Your argument is void at best.

You forgot to file a bug, you then ended up moaning about how it’s not working with said bugs which you can’t seem to give any detail on when a couple of devs reached out. You then somehow twiddle the topic into a debate about name of the project and then spew on about how you teach children about groovy computers stuffed with gills.

shrug and to think this could of all been avoided by opening a bug ticket rather then working on the illusion that developers can read minds. If I was mod, I would lock the thread. isn’t that a song lyric somewhere?

1 Like

Yes, even Google is disagreeing with us. Despite nothing in the page sourcecode saying so, they have manually (?) patched the title to show “Haiku OS”. If you know someone who work on Google Search, maybe they could help fixing this?

1 Like

You have to use googles search console to fix the issue.
https://search.google.com/search-console/welcome

1 Like

That would be true if it were an argument, not just a jolly leg-pull.

Someone round here needs to lighten up a bit.

“Love Linux” . . . that sounds a bit kinky.

What I do “love” (if that really is the proper word in these circumstances) is NOT throwing
away useful computers . . . I run a 1981 BBC Model B and a 1988 BBC Master Compact in
my school which I use for BBC BASIC classes.

The thing I HATE (and about that I’m most definite) is the thought of our descendents wondering why we f*cked our planet so badly by filling an unlimited amount of landfill sites with computers and other “tech rubbish.”

Now what I have found is that Haiku CAN breath “new life” (Yup; sounds corny) into machines that really don’t do too well on Windows 98 any more, and as the Linux community is now giving up 32-bit versions of their offerings (forgetting some of the big promises that they made a while back), I am looking for something that will keep machines up and functioning reasonably well. NOW if Haiku (or “Haiku”, or “the BeOS clone with modern twiddly bits”) could boot these machines without having to muck around with “funny” routines, it would “cut the mustard” in an amazing way.

Yes, I do think Linux is an amazing universe of inter-related operating systems, but it is
NOT the only thing around, so the fact I fool around with ReactOS from time to time is
not because I’m a bit bonkers, nor for that matter the reason I try out Haiku on “stray” bits
of hardware that come my way.

I hope the admin has the sense to see that ALL discussions that impinge on Haiku
are good grist for the mill, and not only ones that keep stuffed-shirts happy.

I am someone who has been programming computers and so forth since 1975, so,
however “goofy” and discursive my posts and discussions may seem, there is a method in my madness, and I am most definitely not a fool.

So past so long discussion the real wish behind testing haiku. Why not doing this clear before?

You will get problems if you old hardware get damaged in the future, because of lack of available Hardware but the idea behind i like.

But you need to understand that haiku is no linux so we can not take drivers from linux to use them in haiku. They need to be create for it. To fo this a dev need Hardware, Time, fun and sometimes money

My wish to close us because this looooooong and bad discussion about the haiku Name in a Post about problems from a tester who does not work together because we want not add a bug report.

Your the one started with the “quod erat demonstrandum” tat; transforming your statement in to an argument. “Thus it has been demonstrated” which it has not. What has been demonstrated is that you can’t understand the fact that the developers of Haiku have asked you for bug details, a ticket with such information that you seem to refuse to do.

You had a issue, you DIDN’T raise a ticket and your tantum here is that no one is here to solve your issue(s). It’s nice you want to use old hardware; but I don’t have the hardware you have, developers don’t have the hardware and I see no throwback from Haiku telling “we will never support” your old hardware. I see Haiku telling you to raise a ticket so they can research and recycle the buggy old hardware to be used with Haiku.

What can you not understand about that?

I can understand “that” very well, but I do not take kindly to being bullied.

I have not had a “tantum” (which, presumably means “tantrum”). I did state, quite
clearly, that I could not get the hardware I installed Haiku onto to boot consistently
and without the help of external boot media: if you think that is a tantrum . . .