Which USB WiFi dongle should I get?

Hello everyone,

As my modern laptop’s wireless networking card is not supported neither by FreeBSD nor Haiku, I will buy a WiFi USB dongle so that I can connect to the internet from Haiku. I might as well use it with my old PC, which is incapable of wireless networking. Since I am going to primarily use it with my laptop, I want it to be somewhat compact. If it is equipped with an antenna, I would like it mounted on the back and not on the side. Can you please recommend me some WiFi USB dongles compatible with Haiku and FreeBSD?

Thanks,
Chris

Check this link with feedback from users

I’ve got the following, works well:

https://www.amazon.com/wifi-adapter-usb-pc-network/dp/B008IFXQFU

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help!

Do you think that TP-LINK TL-WN722N v3 will work? It works well with FreeBSD. I need something with better range because Internet connections in my town are terribly slow. Our maximum download speed is 10 MB/s!

I’ve pretty much given up with the tiny USB wifi sticks, poor range, & seldom supported - nowadays I mainly use TP-Link TL-WN822N units, they aren’t as bad as you might at first think, you can hang then around your neck if you have to be ‘on the move’. :smiley:

If you happen to have an old wireless router lying around you can repurpose it as a bridge between WLAN and ethernet. This would require a working ethernet port on your computer.

1 Like

Sadly, my laptop doesn’t have an ethernet port and it only has 2 USB ports. I miss the days when laptops had 5 USB ports, 2 HDMI ports and and ethernet ports.

1 Like

Tried with tethering? (don’t know the details on how it works, but you should be able to find some information here)

We have a hardware list for Haiku. If you have luck, you can find something works fpr you.

Haiku Hardware Database (besly.de)

Got me this one (also one of those TP Link dongles), works fine, although on a fresh R1B4 the network speed was really bad, after updating a thumbdrive to the latest updates for R1B4 and installing that over the (freshly) installed Haiku it really blasts!

EDIT listed in devlist as:

device Network controller [2|80|0]
  vendor 10ec: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
  device c822: RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
3 Likes

I actually got this one! I posted this thread.

Ordered!
Thanks for the recommendation and link.

BTW: I ordered as my Alienware M15X laptop has a Broadcom BCM43224 card.

You can just swap the internal card usually even laptops that have card whitelist like Lenovo typically have a specifc card that is compatible and whitelisted.

Also even if you get a USB one that works… an M.2 card is going to be all around better typically and have lower CPU usage when being used. The hardware list linked above is good for figuring out things that have worked before… sometimes out of date though as you can seem some of the bests were thousands of revisions ago.

Yeah, I got a card that was bound to work, and then found that at some point they’d changed to a different chip by a different manufacturer, which of course didn’t work. As far as I can tell, you can win only by random chance, and the odds are pretty poor. The Edimax USB wifi works, though.

Update:
Amazon delivered TP-Link TL-WN725N Wireless N Nano USB Adapter is installed.
It’s not going to break any speed limits but is working just fine.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I apologize if I hijack this thread. I have Haiku on a HP Pavilion x360 11.6 inches. The wifi card is not supported and uses a pci-e card. I checked the hardware database and the only ones that match the shape and the screw are the Intel Wireless 7265 and the Intel Wireless-AC 9560 but in the list are not listed as PCI-e but they look PCI-e to me, maybe they have a different protocol.

Can someone show me the light regarding which one should I buy?

I have a working one an Alpha dongle that I moded to use usb-c so I have to use it with an USB-A adapter and it feels and looks awful. Amazon.com

I got a TL-WN725N wifi dongle for less than 10€ and it works well.

1 Like