Which specific download of Haiku can I run in Parallels on a Mac. Please give the exact file name

Which specific download of Haiku can I run in Parallels on an Intel iMac? Please give the exact file name.

Having never tried it myself, there have been several articles published about this.

Looks like there is one here:

http://haiku-os.org/documents/dev/how_to_get_haiku_to_work_in_parallels

When I try to download it (haiku.image.bz2) onto my iMac it comes down as a .txt file at 24.9 mb.

The instructions are as follows:

“Download a nightly build from the Haiku Build Factory.
Rename the “haiku.image” file to “haiku.hdd”.
Use ImageTool to resize the haiku.hdd file to 120MB.
Create a new VM in Parallels, with Guest OS Type as Windows.
Set the Hard Drive to the haiku.hdd file that you downloaded.”

What is “ImageTool” and does it run on a Mac?

All I ask for is choice. I want to be able to go into any store you can buy a computer in and say, “I want ______ OS on this computer.” Is that too much to ask? We can’t always be looking out Windows. We also need to get work done.

.bz2 files are compressed using bzip2 compression - I’m not sure what tool you need to use on a Mac to uncompress that.

I assumed ImageTool was something that comes with Parallels.

Thanks Urias

I found a program to unzip bzip2 apps and extracted it.
I then found the ImageTool using my Mac’s Spotlight search.
I then following the instructions and I’ve gotten as far as getting a black screen with Haiku in the bottom right corner. It appears to be hung at that point. I’ll leave it there for while and see what, if anything, happens.

UPDATE: I let it sit at the black screen with HAIKU in the bottom right corner for awhile and it never got past that. Anyone with any ideas?

All I ask for is choice. I want to be able to go into any store you can buy a computer in and say, “I want ______ OS on this computer.” Is that too much to ask? We can’t always be looking out Windows. We also need to get work done.

I seem to recall this problem being reported by other users of Parallels.

Somewhere in the Parallels settings, you should be able to add a serial port (COM 1) and have it redirect to a text file. This will allow you to examine the kernel debug output and post the info for others to view and see where it stops and (hopefully) why.

Stop the Haiku VM and select Edit --> Virtual machine. Then disable networking. Now it should boot, but it does take a while so be patient :wink: