Where are the icons for each program located?

Hi I’m trying to do some design work and wondering where i can find the files for the program icons.

Icons are file attributes. To get / edit the icon, right click the app and select Add-ons File Type. Then right click the icon and select edit icon to open the icon in Icon-O-Matic.

A couple of extensions to Jim’s explanation…

Once you have opened the File Type add-on, you actually can just double-(left)-click the icon image to open Icon-O-Matic, rather than going to the menu. Whichever suits. Be aware, though, that a lot of the time you may not then see any icon in the I-O-M window. This is because there is often a common icon for all files of a given type – they don’t have an attribute of their own. The common attribute is either attached to the relevant mime_db entry, or – if there is only one app that handles that type – in the resource of that app. The way to get hold of one of these icons is to open the FileTypes Preference (not the add-on) and find the desired type in the list on the left. Selecting this will display the icon, on which you can open I-O-M as before.

You know, I hope, that Haiku icons are in a unique “HVIF” format (unless they’re legacy BeOS ones, which will not open in I-O-M). You can save an HVIF file from I-O-M directly, if you want to work on it later, or you can export it as a PNG or SVG image if you want to use it for something other than an icon.

You can also find the source for some of the icons in Haiku git repo, in data/artwork/icons, also in HVIF format. There is also an hviftopng command for conversion to PNG (or you can export from IconOMatic).

You can also find the source for some of the icons in Haiku git repo, in data/artwork/icons, also in HVIF format. There is also an hviftopng command for conversion to PNG (or you can export from IconOMatic).