When you extend Boot Manager from Haiku

Yes. I wonder why Boot manager is too old for GPT, UEFI and secondary+1 HDD. Does anyone have plans to break it down. Maybe a GSoC inicjatives help’s me and you.
Someone may say take a GRUB. At that momnet I hate Linux. I’m search a alternative for OS and
interesting solutions.

It’s not too old. It’s just not ment for EFI.

If you want a graphical EFI boot menu you can use for example rEFInd

For UEFI systems I am happy with using rEFInd as my bootloader. It has a nice graphical menu with icons for each OS.

For more than one disk, the boot manager itself actually already supports it, but some code in Haiku disk drivers is needed (specifically an implementation of B_GET_BIOS_DRIVE_ID ioctl) to allow the OS and bootloader to agree on which disk is where.

In theory it should be possible to manually edit the bootloader installation to add entries on different disks.

But even on BIOS systems you could try various alternatives, for example Smart Boot Manager, to start various operating systems on multiple drives. No need to go for GRUB which is indeed very tied with Linux and has lots of useless complexity that you don’t need for booting any other system.

Sorry for offtopic, but:

Actually, GRUB is very capable bootloader. I would rather argue that Linux is very tied with GRUB, but not vice-versa. Unfortunately, there is virtually no way to use GRUB independently from some Linux distribution. However, there are projects like SuperGrubDisk (1 and 2) exactly for this purpose.

1 Like