When will we start browsing normally?

I manage myself :slight_smile:
I’m annoyed of being the only one working on WebKit things, so at the moment I’m putting my energy and time into other things. Don’t worry, I know to take a break when needed, too.

4 Likes

I identified problem in WebKit that cause #15426 and #16085. WebCore::Page::updateRendering() is not called in paint functions that cause animations and requastAnimationFrame not working. Now Gerrit and animations are working fine:
WebKitGerrit2

12 Likes

Fixed images, remaining problem is #16082:
WebKitGerrit3

7 Likes

Can you share a procedure to build Web+ + WebKit with test_app_server?

I will need it to solve some issues with tiled bitmap drawing PulkoMandy has reported.

1. You need to build test_app_server with TARGET_PLATFORM=libbe_test jam -q -j4 install-test-apps note that test_app_server do not support cross build tools, system compiler should be used. Creating additional generated folder may be needed. test_app_server is located at <generated folder>/tests/libbe_test/x86_64/apps. To start test_app_server you need to run test_registrar first. test_app_server window will be not displayed until some application will be started.

2. Add AddSubDirSupportedPlatforms libbe_test ; to src/kits/network/libnetapi/Jamfile, build libbnetapi with HAIKU_BUILD_FEATURE_SSL=1 TARGET_PLATFORM=libbe_test jam -q libbnetapi.so, copy result to test_app_server lib folder.

3. Create symlink for libbe_test.so in /boot/system/non-packaged/lib and /boot/system/non-packaged/develop/lib

4. Apply this patch to WebKit:

From 34cea99abc9be7f8135b30d32a61b1f5076ead14 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 23:14:54 +0900
Subject: Haiku: enable libbe_test.so

---
 CMakeLists.txt                                  | 2 +-
 Source/JavaScriptCore/shell/PlatformHaiku.cmake | 2 +-
 Source/WTF/wtf/PlatformHaiku.cmake              | 2 +-
 Source/WebCore/PlatformHaiku.cmake              | 2 +-
 Source/WebKitLegacy/PlatformHaiku.cmake         | 2 +-
 Tools/HaikuLauncher/CMakeLists.txt              | 2 +-
 6 files changed, 6 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

diff --git a/CMakeLists.txt b/CMakeLists.txt
index d5c83e9a7a1..9e8ac0a3c8c 100644
--- a/CMakeLists.txt
+++ b/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -193,7 +193,7 @@ if ("${PORT}" STREQUAL "GTK" OR "${PORT}" STREQUAL "WPE")
         add_subdirectory(PerformanceTests)
     endif ()
 else ()
-    add_subdirectory(PerformanceTests)
+#    add_subdirectory(PerformanceTests)
 endif ()

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
diff --git a/Source/JavaScriptCore/shell/PlatformHaiku.cmake b/Source/JavaScriptCore/shell/PlatformHaiku.cmake
index 67bb792a813..908834dd9f5 100644
--- a/Source/JavaScriptCore/shell/PlatformHaiku.cmake
+++ b/Source/JavaScriptCore/shell/PlatformHaiku.cmake
@@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
 LIST(APPEND JSC_LIBRARIES
     ${CMAKE_DL_LIBS}
-    be execinfo
+    be_test execinfo
 )
diff --git a/Source/WTF/wtf/PlatformHaiku.cmake b/Source/WTF/wtf/PlatformHaiku.cmake
index 1098068dc84..536c8bd440f 100644
--- a/Source/WTF/wtf/PlatformHaiku.cmake
+++ b/Source/WTF/wtf/PlatformHaiku.cmake
@@ -23,7 +23,7 @@ LIST(APPEND WTF_SOURCES

LIST(APPEND WTF_LIBRARIES
     ${ZLIB_LIBRARIES}
-    be execinfo
+    be_test execinfo
 )

list(APPEND WTF_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES
diff --git a/Source/WebCore/PlatformHaiku.cmake b/Source/WebCore/PlatformHaiku.cmake
index e021494c376..0a0bc6be985 100644
--- a/Source/WebCore/PlatformHaiku.cmake
+++ b/Source/WebCore/PlatformHaiku.cmake
@@ -217,7 +217,7 @@ list(APPEND WebCore_LIBRARIES
   ${SQLITE_LIBRARIES}
   ${WEBP_LIBRARIES}
   ${ZLIB_LIBRARIES}
-  be bsd network bnetapi textencoding translation execinfo
+  be_test bsd network bnetapi textencoding translation execinfo
 )

list(APPEND WebCore_SYSTEM_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES
diff --git a/Source/WebKitLegacy/PlatformHaiku.cmake b/Source/WebKitLegacy/PlatformHaiku.cmake
index 0fafdf233e5..d065220846a 100644
--- a/Source/WebKitLegacy/PlatformHaiku.cmake
+++ b/Source/WebKitLegacy/PlatformHaiku.cmake
@@ -116,7 +116,7 @@ LIST(APPEND WebKitLegacy_LIBRARIES
     ${PNG_LIBRARY}
     ${JPEG_LIBRARY}
     ${CMAKE_DL_LIBS}
-    be bnetapi shared translation tracker
+    be_test bnetapi shared translation tracker
     WebCore
 )

diff --git a/Tools/HaikuLauncher/CMakeLists.txt b/Tools/HaikuLauncher/CMakeLists.txt
index b2c675783d0..a7aba08b477 100644
--- a/Tools/HaikuLauncher/CMakeLists.txt
+++ b/Tools/HaikuLauncher/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -13,7 +13,7 @@ SET(HaikuLauncher_LIBRARIES
     ${SQLITE_LIBRARIES}
     ${ICU_I18N_LIBRARIES}
     ${ICU_LIBRARIES}
-    be bsd network stdc++ translation tracker
+    be_test bsd network stdc++ translation tracker
 )

INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES("${WEBKITLEGACY_DIR}/haiku/API")
-- 
  1. Create symlinks for libtracker.so, libtranslation.so, libbnetapi.so inside test_app_server lib folder and put it in WebKit build lib folder.

2. If you want to run WebPositive instead of HaikuLauncher then add AddSubDirSupportedPlatforms libbe_test ; to src/apps/webpositive/Jamfile, build it with TARGET_PLATFORM=libbe_test jam -q WebPositive and copy to WebKit build folder. If WebPositive crash at start in BKeymap related code of BrowserWindow.cpp, disable that code and rebuild (#16074).

9 Likes

I don’t know why, but i still find the native Haiku GUI amazingly nice. The colors, the bevels are just perfect, at least to me.

7 Likes

This is superb, it would be great to get the patches in and a new WebKit out before beta2! If you intend to continue looking at WebKit issues, I am sure @PulkoMandy and @KapiX will be happy for the help :slight_smile: (and also keep in mind that one of the GSoC students is working on Network Kit related items here, too.)

5 Likes

Yes indeed. It seems such a waste of time and skill to play around with the way Haiku looks. Not only is it elegant, but it’s also distinctive - instantly recognisable.

1 Like

I think it is a masterpiece, and belive that everybody who compares to BeOS will see much love and little precise changes can give a xxi. century look to something so great like the Be GUI.
Wthis is art.

3 Likes

Tweaking this kind of settings is for the ordinary user a way to appropriate the system and learn basics.
But, I agree and think that number of Decorators and ControlLooks provided with Haiku should be limited. Maybe add something looking more like Dano but not more.
Themes I’m working on, won’t use ControlLook or Decorators and will allow as much as possible to use Haiku widget style with Qt apps. You will see that it is possible to do something classy with different colour schemes.
This said, a derivative distro like Hakilo (is there another yet?) needs to have its own look and feel and I understand why S40in tries to provide different ControlLooks and Decorators. If Haiku users can also play with them at their own risk, it doesn’t hurt.

Wow didn’t know that, but only got into BeOS with R3 on Intel. Would love to give it a spin, is it available from some archive maybe?

I really like the ‘WTF_LIBRARIES’ part btw😏

If anything at all, add a subtle dark theme for me, then we’re good :relieved:

WTF is Web Template Framework.

I know, just had to laugh, I’m pretty sure the pun was intended by the developers :smirk:

I fixed #16082 (pull request) and now YouTube is working fine:
screenshot16
screenshot17
I get another crash, but it happen not too often.

10 Likes

Sorry for being awfully offtopic here, NetPositive was first released with BeOS DR8, to run Orb you would need DR7 and a BeBox.

screen02

7 Likes

Hot List :upside_down_face:

From Wiki:

Bookmarks have been incorporated in browsers since the Mosaic browser in 1993.[2] Bookmark lists were called Hotlists in Mosaic[3] and in previous versions of Opera; this term has faded from common use. Other early web browsers such as ViolaWWW and Cello also had bookmarking features.

BeOS DR7 came out in '96, but maybe that wasn’t the first release which sported that sleek webbrowser, maybe Be was an active member in the conquesting the web with creating new menus? Even is not, it is a nice way to show respect to the first webbrowser.

Webbrowser already existed in BeOS 1.1d5/DR5 (maybe even earlier) in 1995. Initially, it was called ‘Webber’, later on, was renamed to ‘Orb’. NetPositive was initially developed outside of Be by the independent contractor Peter Barrett and the first time appeared in DR8. After that, Be continued developing NetPositive internally.

4 Likes

Thanks, this was new to me.