What office software are are available for HAIKU OS

I wonder if anyone has tried FRA.ME
Your Applications are loaded on the server and accessed via browser.
They also have MSOffice available as well… all cloud based APPS just
from the browser…Any thoughts on this ?
Works with Explorer, Safari, Mozilla

This would solve the APP issues for Haiku !

FRAME Cloud Platform · Run any software in a browser

Frame: Run Any Software in a Browser. Secure, software-defined workspaces. Any cloud. One seamless experience on all your devices. Experience the full power of Frame now.

No. Just your issues.

Working online is not secure

Working online is easily done on many other OS, faster and more stable than on Haiku. What would be the point if the goal of our OS was just to run the exact same apps?

1 Like

There is a very simple way to make this into the full version… just editing a text file.

Another note about think free: It doesn’t work with the vesa driver. This is actually due to a bug in openjdk that has been fixed, but as far as I know no new openjdk version has been built. Also, when I last tried to build openjdk 8 the resulting binaries didn’t work properly, so the fix should be backported to openjdk 7.

1 Like

Compatibilty. If MacOS didnt use the same apps as Windows, it would not have survived. Therefore, Haiku becomes a competing platform without the need to create one off obscure applications.

That’s a bunch of nonsense and I was a Mac user during Apple’s dark days!

2 Likes

You mean, just like Haiku didn’t survive for the last 15 years?

Having a browser capable of working with these kind of online apps is a legitimate wish. I have high hopes wrt your work on the haikuwebkit! :slight_smile:

Esp. when it comes to these rather huge apps like office suites, it’ll be quite a while until we have a native solution. Or even a locally running port of LibreOffice…
Haiku still has a point if people run native apps alongside ports and online tools until better alternatives become available.

2 Likes

Interestingly, there is another project by droplet computing to run Windows apps in a browser on any device running a x86 OS. It uses Wine technology + containers and you don’t need to be connected to the Internet to use it. This (eventually) might be good for Haiku which has problems running Wine by itself.

Working online with storage in the cloud or on a web server, also consumes much of the network resources.

This is rarely an issue in a home environment in which there is a “small” number of connected devices. This is a serious problem in any other environment in which there could be a up to a few hundreds of connected devices at any time.

I remember network loads of 90-95% mentioned for the first case studies of the use of Chromebooks in a school environment. Reducing the network load has been the driver for the shift to local storage, with cloud storage only on demand, for many of the ChromeOS Apps.

Mostly a stop-gap until there is a native Haiku office suite; one which has been designed and engineered around the capabilities offered by BFS and the BeOS/Haiku user interaction model.

By-the-way, Gobe Productive 2.0 will soon be twenty years old; in August 2019!

Droplet Computing is an interesting approach although I doubt very much that many open-source operating system projects will make use of it because of its propitiatory nature and its underlying patent(s).

Reading through the hype, the capability of running MS Office through Droplet Computing is still far into the future - if it ever materialize in an usable stable state.