What is the development workflow for non-Haiku Oses?

Hello,

My name is Mohamed ElHagry. I am fresh graduate from Cairo University, Egypt.

I am trying to get into Haiku development for GSOC. I downloaded virtual box on my Linux OS and successfully followed the steps on the website to build haiku and deploy the iso image on the virtual machine. However, I don’t really understand how I’m supposed to develop and test my changes. Should I build a new image with every iteration of my code? Isn’t that just too expensive/impractical ? Is there some sort of workflow document/video/post detailing how to develop and iterate on your patches?

Thanks,
Mohamed ElHagry

Yes.

Depends on what changes you are making. If it’s something like an application or library, then for most cases, no. Just build that library/app then copy it onto the virtual machine.

For the kernel and drivers though, I am not aware of a way to test stuff without building a new image.

1 Like

I think that it depends of the number of files impacted by your changes.
From what I read most of time, you only need to rebuild the package containing your file and not the full image. Also, files in non-packaged folders have priority, sometimes it will be sufficient to put your file there.

1 Like

Hello @Hagry ; I am unsure what sort of development you are doing, but I wrote this article for somebody else recently outlining how I go about this.

1 Like