What happened to MailNews?

Hi, I used Haiku 2 to 3 years ago and recently discovered it was in Beta4. This great news to me. I would consider it for daily use. I am writing a book and found LibreOffice is available! However, I need a mail program which I can set up and use. I am somewhat familiar with MailNews. In watching several videos about Haiku some users mentioned they were using MailNews. However, I could not find it in the repositories. Will MailNews be returned to the repositories?

2 Likes

Aside the integrated Mail program, there are various mail apps available via the HaikuDepot app. Among them Claws Mail and Trojitá. Please note that the other native app Beam is a bit outdated and may or may not work properly for you.

Hi,

I have seen that mailnews is still available in Haikuports.
mailnews
I do not know anything about its current status.

Thanks for the reply. Trojitá did work with a mail server other than the Gmail server. I depend upon Gmail for two email addresses, and the third mail address is from another mail server. Does anyone know how to get
Trojitá to work with Gmail?

I will look again. Hopefully I can find it.

I haven’t looked, but it’s possible it’s available for 32-bit and not 64-bit, or vice versa.

Yes, searching for MailNews on HDS only finds a 32bit version.

Building MailNews with the haikuports recipe fails. I opened a ticket: MailNews: build fails · Issue #8487 · haikuports/haikuports · GitHub

2 Likes

Thanks for your query. It would be great if they took a look at mailnews and brought it forward as a download.
Trojitá it will not work with the Gmail server. It will work with any other mail server. So I do have some mail coming thru to Haiku.

I use GMail with the default Mail app and mail_daemon. There have been a few GMail related threads in the past, e.g. https://discuss.haiku-os.org/t/gmail-with-default-mail-app-issues , which may include hints how to make is work.

1 Like

Technically, enable GMail’s IMAP service under settings in your GMail account.

1. In the top right, click Settings (sprocket wheel) - See all settings.
  2. Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
  3. In the “IMAP access” section, select Enable IMAP access.
  4. Click Save Changes.

Trojita 0.7.0-2 in Haiku Depot:
x64 - Haiku Depot Server (haiku-os.org)
x32 - Haiku Depot Server (haiku-os.org)

1 Like

Now that we have GTK, it may be possible to port https://www.claws-mail.org which should work with OAuth2 (for GMail) according to Oauth2 - Claws Mail FAQ

3 Likes

It’s available already.

Is it available in the Git hub? In check the Haiku repositories it is not listed as a download.

It’s available in HaikuDepot app for both 32 bits and 64 bits as you can see it on HaikuDepot web interface. Search for ‘claws’ and be sure to be on All packages tab.

1 Like