What enhancement I need or want in Haiku?

It that case there will be modern Haiku spinoff.
… I hope.

Lots of time is lost by doing the package manager to much time… almost 5! years…
The old BeOs way to put everything needed by a program into one folder and delete it to deinstall was very user-friendly.
Of course auto update is a nice thing to have… but it took a lot of time and these time is lost in getting new developer and user for the Haiku Projekt. Until now package manager is very tricky and still not stable I think.
The point is really to get a stable release out to attract other devs and user…
Than more devs and user are attracted and going to use Haiku than more enhancements will follow…

1 Like

The code for it is quite stable now, and has been for a few years.

Having a real package manager allowed to tackle a much bigger task of building a real package repository. One where you know that you can install something and it will work. No more hunting for missing libs, or installing a lib update to find out it breaks some other software you were using. This is what takes a lot of work: identifying all the underlying problems and finding ways to solve them.

As a user of BeOS and Haiku, no, I did not feel that the old way was user friendly. A lot of softwarze came with “drag X here” links to complete the install, because it was not really possible to make it self contained. Sometimes software came without the needed libs. Sometimes they were there, but it was old broken versions that you had to replace. Several times I ended up breaking my system by installing broken packages (putting gcc4 libs in the gcc2 part of the system was a common way in non-packaged Haiku days, but I have seen many other problems).

It was also quite bad for people writing software. The package management system provides them with tools to check their dependencies, and it eases a lot the debugging of installation problems on other people’s computer. It saves a ton of time for everyone. And I think this is the right way to attract more users and devs.

Yes, it takes a long time to get things started. Yes, if we had known that, we would have planned things a bit differently so there would have been one or two more step-releases before now. But, we didn’t and now it is too late. So, let’s close this chapter of the Haiku history with the Beta 1 release, and then move forward.

2 Likes

brunobastardi: Lots of time is lost by doing the package manager to much time… almost 5! years…

I think so too long time, but today i like the package management system at all.

brunobastardi: Until now package manager is very tricky and still not stable I think.

Yes i thinks like you, because i never understand HaikuPorts with recipes and all this things to do to ake them compile and building a package about it… It something for people who have many expirience in programming not for new ones or users.

PulkoMandy: The code for it is quite stable now, and has been for a few years.

Ha ha, the flickering by selection to fast in HaikuDepots is one of the oldest and now available bugs :slight_smile:

PulkoMandy: Having a real package manager allowed to tackle a much bigger task of building a real package repository. One where you know that you can install something and it will work. No more hunting for missing libs, or installing a lib update to find out it breaks some other software you were using.

I agree but i see problems with new versions of programs and files, because some older programs available and never changed in the future will never be supported all the time, because one the latest one will be available over HaikuDepot (Is this right?).

PulkoMandy: As a user of BeOS and Haiku, no, I did not feel that the old way was user friendly. A lot of softwarze came with “drag X here” links to complete the install, because it was not really possible to make it self contained.

Yes, i agree, but you can copy and paste every there you want and you can go your own way to use the system folders. And this breaks many old bulds for Haiku (I want EGSL back :wink:)

PulkoMandy: It was also quite bad for people writing software. The package management system provides them with tools to check their dependencies, and it eases a lot the debugging of installation problems on other people’s computer. It saves a ton of time for everyone. And I think this is the right way to attract more users and devs.

If one understand and learn to do it

PulkoMandy: So, let’s close this chapter of the Haiku history with the Beta 1 release, and then move forward.

I think only of a beta 1 when this has appeared. This has been announced too often. One of the things that certainly scares many.

But the team behind Haiku do a good job

Maybe Be/Mac style is more simpler, but I remember how hard to perform complete deletion of apps on Mac. I think packages is a nice and necessary thing. And it’s damn good that R1 will reach release with this feature already working.

1 Like

ControlLook styles is one thing that separates Haiku from calling it modern operating system. It is my opinion.

I don’t think so.
Lack of customization never can be something, which can prevent OS to be modern.
Core improvements first.
Still a lot of problems — UEFI, video acceleration etc.

1 Like

Problems with software, drivers and etc are fixable, they are in development process.
And programed some inability it is constant inability of OS. It looks bad.

I concur with you:

Let`s get R1 out. However, I believe the community would rather see a surprise announcement that the long-awaited R1-Beta is ready for download rather than hearing about a near-future release…

As long viewed by the community, R1 needs to aim at BeOS R5 binary compatibility (because most of the productivity applications are still only R5 binaries) and add a real (and stable) package manager (so that new applications are easier to develop and install).

Damoklas, there is another way to get what you want done, and that is to pay a programmer to do it for you. I am sure you will already have made donations to Haiku, but if you put your hand more deeply into your pocket there is no limit to what might be achieved.

However, I suspect you are too young to be earning very much, and I therefore fall back on my original suggestion - that you learn to program and do it yourself. Teenagers pick up programming in no time at all.

Good luck.

1 Like

Note that I am careful about announcing dates myself. It seems some people only get anything done in “oh crap the release is next week” mode, and set themselves dates they publicly anounce in an attempt to get things moving.

I always was against any fixed schedule and am working on fixing the issues one at a time. So, I can only announce “when it’s ready”. What I have been working on at the moment is setting up a set of recipes that can build a coherent repository. You would think that we already have this, because the repository is offline? But, in fact, not at all. Because some packages were in the repos for a long time, and it turns out they don’t build with gcc5, or with latest version of a lib which was since then updated, etc. I have been chasing these issues so we can do a full rebuild of the complete repo at any time, should that be needed.

There is some discussions at Haiku inc. to scale up our infrastructure a little. We are using our servers a little more since we started doing packages, because the Haiku project took some duties it didn’t before (namely, distribution of a lot of software from the “haikuports” repository). This needs more resources than we currently have (in particular, we would need a new public IP address for a new virtual machine on our main server). I hope we will have a positive decision there and the virtual machine set up. Meanwhile, other people are working on moving the main Haiku website to a new system, which would free up some resources on the same server currently used. These resources could then be recycled for the new virtual machine, instead.

So, there is lot of “behind the curtains” work happening. Nothing for exciting new features or look and feel, but things we need to handle sooner or later.

1 Like

Package Manager is a wonderful and needed feature Haiku now has. I wont miss it!

HaikuDepot makes downloading, installing and deinstalling programs very easy.
But for a common coder, user and for people learning programming it is as lelldorin said… difficult to understand.

If I would try to learn programming I would take only the libs provided by Haiku. But where to find those? In HaikuDepot I may asume… If I am going to use a lib I would prefer to have it in my project folder for easy finding/tracking…

So after finish my program I have to upload only the program without libs? There it comes to the HaikuPorts and the recipes… Difficult to understand… Is there a easy to follow tutorial how to use these recipes?

The necessary libs for the program should be found in HaikuDepot…
I am very confused how this works out for new user and people trying to learn programing.
How to get people comfortable learning to program with Haiku?

I am confident that Beta 1 is not far… there are still some strange bugs… but there are workarounds you can explain to the new Haiku user.

My enhancement wish: I would like to have a rotate canvas/video clockwise and counterclockwise button in the MediaPlayer. Sounds realistic I hope…

Haiku comes with everything you need to code native applications. Nothing has changed in regard to using the API with package managemen.t

I suggest to open new threads for specific questions, also when it comes to haikuporter and recipes. Then everyone can focus on one issue without meandering all over the place. :slight_smile:

Make screensaver lock screen be able to lock screen at boot system (before starting desktop).

Actually screenblanker command starts the screensaver, but one needs to wait 30 sec (minimum delay for the password asking kicks in). One just needs to add it to the UserBootscript…
Maybe some dev can add a --rightnow switch to get the password asking without any wait.

1 Like

Xulrunner to be ported.
autorun for haiku. like <alt+F2> and then type name of your package.
all Qt framework and libraries as possible.
keyboard layout switcher
of course lots of icon mouse/system themes
and more fonts. haiku is very week in terms of fonts
update and update notifier

This thing available.

No; a complete and system-tray enabled one. with keybindings.

Already here: /home/config/settings/boot/launch
just create a link here, and it will be started at boot. Or use launch_daemon :slight_smile:

You know about “Keymap Switcher”, yes?