What enhancement I need or want in Haiku?

I concur with you:

Let`s get R1 out. However, I believe the community would rather see a surprise announcement that the long-awaited R1-Beta is ready for download rather than hearing about a near-future release…

As long viewed by the community, R1 needs to aim at BeOS R5 binary compatibility (because most of the productivity applications are still only R5 binaries) and add a real (and stable) package manager (so that new applications are easier to develop and install).

Damoklas, there is another way to get what you want done, and that is to pay a programmer to do it for you. I am sure you will already have made donations to Haiku, but if you put your hand more deeply into your pocket there is no limit to what might be achieved.

However, I suspect you are too young to be earning very much, and I therefore fall back on my original suggestion - that you learn to program and do it yourself. Teenagers pick up programming in no time at all.

Good luck.

1 Like

Note that I am careful about announcing dates myself. It seems some people only get anything done in “oh crap the release is next week” mode, and set themselves dates they publicly anounce in an attempt to get things moving.

I always was against any fixed schedule and am working on fixing the issues one at a time. So, I can only announce “when it’s ready”. What I have been working on at the moment is setting up a set of recipes that can build a coherent repository. You would think that we already have this, because the repository is offline? But, in fact, not at all. Because some packages were in the repos for a long time, and it turns out they don’t build with gcc5, or with latest version of a lib which was since then updated, etc. I have been chasing these issues so we can do a full rebuild of the complete repo at any time, should that be needed.

There is some discussions at Haiku inc. to scale up our infrastructure a little. We are using our servers a little more since we started doing packages, because the Haiku project took some duties it didn’t before (namely, distribution of a lot of software from the “haikuports” repository). This needs more resources than we currently have (in particular, we would need a new public IP address for a new virtual machine on our main server). I hope we will have a positive decision there and the virtual machine set up. Meanwhile, other people are working on moving the main Haiku website to a new system, which would free up some resources on the same server currently used. These resources could then be recycled for the new virtual machine, instead.

So, there is lot of “behind the curtains” work happening. Nothing for exciting new features or look and feel, but things we need to handle sooner or later.

1 Like

Package Manager is a wonderful and needed feature Haiku now has. I wont miss it!

HaikuDepot makes downloading, installing and deinstalling programs very easy.
But for a common coder, user and for people learning programming it is as lelldorin said… difficult to understand.

If I would try to learn programming I would take only the libs provided by Haiku. But where to find those? In HaikuDepot I may asume… If I am going to use a lib I would prefer to have it in my project folder for easy finding/tracking…

So after finish my program I have to upload only the program without libs? There it comes to the HaikuPorts and the recipes… Difficult to understand… Is there a easy to follow tutorial how to use these recipes?

The necessary libs for the program should be found in HaikuDepot…
I am very confused how this works out for new user and people trying to learn programing.
How to get people comfortable learning to program with Haiku?

I am confident that Beta 1 is not far… there are still some strange bugs… but there are workarounds you can explain to the new Haiku user.

My enhancement wish: I would like to have a rotate canvas/video clockwise and counterclockwise button in the MediaPlayer. Sounds realistic I hope…

Haiku comes with everything you need to code native applications. Nothing has changed in regard to using the API with package managemen.t

I suggest to open new threads for specific questions, also when it comes to haikuporter and recipes. Then everyone can focus on one issue without meandering all over the place. :slight_smile:

Make screensaver lock screen be able to lock screen at boot system (before starting desktop).

Actually screenblanker command starts the screensaver, but one needs to wait 30 sec (minimum delay for the password asking kicks in). One just needs to add it to the UserBootscript…
Maybe some dev can add a --rightnow switch to get the password asking without any wait.

1 Like

Xulrunner to be ported.
autorun for haiku. like <alt+F2> and then type name of your package.
all Qt framework and libraries as possible.
keyboard layout switcher
of course lots of icon mouse/system themes
and more fonts. haiku is very week in terms of fonts
update and update notifier

This thing available.

No; a complete and system-tray enabled one. with keybindings.

Already here: /home/config/settings/boot/launch
just create a link here, and it will be started at boot. Or use launch_daemon :slight_smile:

You know about “Keymap Switcher”, yes?

EFI boot & grub compatibility
full 2D support (dpi and native resolution) for nvidia video card.
intel sound support in hda driver.
a decent web browser.

You know you can also help to port all the things… :slight_smile:

1 Like

How about moving (or duplicating) all Tracker’s icons (which are in libtracker.so) to “File Type’s” “interface” (or something else)?
I think it is good for simplify theming and maybe for using them by other apps in more simply way.
What you think?

“Keymap” enhancement for additional keyboard keys

Add capability to “Keymap” preference app add and edit custom or additional keyboard, for example with additional keys (multimedia and etc). Also it is needed to have some tool to make those custom keyboards: some graphical editor (with buttons in a grid with editable labels and asigned to them scan codes) and capability to scan pressed some key on actual keyboard.
Mappings of such additional keys must be saved in different file than standard keymap layout, different mapping’s files for different keyboard.
Further those setting files of keyboards with additional keys can be shared with other people or added in Haiku.

A haikudepot without freezes, hanging and a better display of all files who need to be instsalled

Add capability to “Keymap” preference app add and edit custom or additional keyboard

Already there. No GUI, but the functionality is there. I don’t think an OS needs to provide a nice GUI for every command line application. I would say: good task for Summer of Code or for 3rdparty developer.

with additional keys (multimedia and etc)

The additional keys (at least for Laptops) doesn’t generates scan-codes at all. They managed through EC or I2C controller. To handle them a special driver required and frequently they are BIOS and hardware/oem-specific, so no generic driver possible AFAIK.

capability to scan pressed some key on actual keyboard.

What if they doesn’t generates any scan-codes?

I would say a better ACPI support could be a nice enhancement, as without proper DSDT handling you cannot have any additional key-support, brightness control, hardware-switch control, hotplug, power-management, sleep, hibernate, and so on.

At first it is reasonable to handle things which we can, late we can bother with other.
For example if we have this keyboard:
https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/natural-ergonomic-keyboard-4000/b2m-00012
– how we can add additional keys to work on Haiku?
On BeOS there was a way to do this. And I think that keys in this keyboard have some scan codes.

If thoose keys generates scancode then it is just as easy as:
https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/preferences/keymap.html

• exporting the current keymap
  • defining the extra keys in the freshly exported keymap
  • setting the modified keymap as default keymap.
  • then Shortcuts should just work AFAIK.

That’s the theory. You can try and report back with your mileage.