What do you think about HaikuDepot (the application in Haiku)?

It is not the concept of HaikuDepot to spend older versions. You get every time the current versions and there dependencies. To change this are man work.

cleanup functions and error correction need to be integrated into haiku Depot

I like both, but in different contexts. I prefer to use pkgman for quick, targeted updates, as well as full upgrades etc - it is well tuned for that. HaikuDepot is the place to go to browse for apps and get rich info in a nice wrapper. It is already good, and tweaks to it can only improve it. A high-level display of download size etc would be useful, as would a more flexible advanced filter tool.

2 Likes

These two things are not conflicting.

App developers can host their own repository with their software if they want to. It’s just a “pkgman add-repo” away. That is how I use Debian at work as well, with several extra repos for virtualbox, microsoft teams, vivaldi browser, … and also internal company repos with some specific software.

It does not prevent having a nice app to manage updates and discover software.

This is what was originally planned for the package system. It just happens that currently haikuports is a huge and very popular repository, but it doesn’t have to stay that way.

7 Likes