What do you like about Haiku?

There’s also a chance it will make things up, because it is not programmed to know when to say “I don’t understand this code” and always sounds super confident even when saying obvious nonsense.

I’d rather not base my understanding of things on that.

3 Likes

it will tell you, it doesn’t understand or explain limitations in it’s understanding. that’s where you engage with it to discuss why you do and don’t know and you can explain to it, it learns fast.

it’s a tool, like a screwdriver, ise appropriately

The issue comes if someone doesn’t know when CharGPT is being confidently wrong.

Anyways, there’s another topic for ChatGPT talk already. Not going to clutter this topic about it further.

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining, and I fully accept what you are saying. It is indeed a very complex situation.

I asked chat GPT:
is Haiku better that linux?

its answer:
Haiku and Linux are both operating systems, but they have different design goals and target audiences. Haiku is a free and open-source operating system that is based on the BeOS and is focused on providing a fast, efficient and user-friendly experience for desktop users. Linux, on the other hand, is a widely-used and highly customizable open-source operating system that is used in a wide range of devices, from servers and supercomputers to smartphones and embedded devices.

Whether one is “better” than the other depends on the specific use case and personal preferences. Haiku is best suited for users looking for a simple and efficient desktop operating system, while Linux is better for users who need a highly customizable and versatile operating system.

I think it’s a well-balanced answer!

1 Like

We don’t need people copying everything ChatGPT says into this forum.

13 Likes

in my past, i like windows2000 very much. for light and strong enough.
for now, i find salix and haiku.
mmm, if haiku become R1 stable,i like haiku better.
haiku is much more suitable for personal computer than linux.

2 Likes

What do I like? It’s fun. That simple :slight_smile:

For whatever reasons, the last months/years I’ve been less and less in front of PCs, doing other more/less interesting things to me. Haiku somewhat “rekindled” the joy of actually making a computer do things, in contrast of the modern paradigm of being simply a medium for things.

Sure, I can do that on any OS… but Haiku is different. I like difference.

9 Likes

Yes but it is chat gpts default answer to almost any is a better than b question, it does NOT have any understanding behind it (but is fazinating for what it can do nonetheless)

Linux and BSD have some terrific distributions, which cover every computer need, and they are also stable and secure.
Haiku will be even better, I guess, in the future, when it becomes stable, and solves the terrible web browser problem.
Haiku is definitely the fastest OS , nowadays, although it’s still beta.

same thing i like about gnu/linux.

the operating system does not consider me to be dumb.

1 Like

If you use Gnome/Epiphany you will find that the “terrible” web browser problem isn’t so terrible.

Also, stability is pretty good. Far better than Windows in the old days (before XP).

It’s reached the stage where we need to be thinking about the stability and usability of application software. LibreOffice is fine for office stuff (in most respects as good as MS Office, and in some ways better) and music and graphics apps are fine for playing/display, but photo and video editing are now what I am interested in.

3 Likes

I wish. Yet, Amiga was conceived as the ‘ultimate arcade gaming computer’ (from the Jay Miner heydays). BeBox didn’t have Newtek-like components, Lightwave, or Sculpt3D (popular at the time) - but BeBox’s MIDI inclusion was good like the Atari. I never really saw high-end Amiga emulations on BeOS of what Amiga was doing (i.e. Blitter/Copper/HAM tricks). Then, the whole RTG/AAA+/AMIX era.

Remember, Amiga wasn’t taken as serious in the corporate arena as it was in UK, Europe, and elsewhere than USA. Most graphic designers, media, and academia looked at Macs. BeOS R5 and BeBits developments didn’t really push the BeOS >=Amiga agenda. I’d say BeOS was influenced by Amiga - but Amiga was its own thing even when Win95 and OS/2 launched (even with Commodore now out of the picture).

Now, Haiku. Users get x64 memory capability, SMP, BeOS, -and- Amiga emulation. I tend to see Haiku as a successor to my own using of AmigaOS…

3 Likes