What do you like about Haiku?

Another Proxmox Fan, nice :wink:

1 Like

It runs two of our FM broadcast radio stations.

5 Likes

What dou mean by saying that an OS is quiet?

1 Like

I’ve been using HAIKU only after the R1/beta4, so I’m a very young newbie,
but I would certainly agree with the cons already mentioned:
stable, fast, open source, easy to install,unique, very helpful community.
I would just like to stress the fact that HAIKU really revived my 2007 laptop!

2 Likes

That’s quit a long timr later to ask for clarifiction, but sure I’ll explain. In this case queit was meant as a metaphore, other systems are louder: there is constantly something they want. You can’t turn off your pc now, updates are needed. You need to turn on these security features. I know you want to run this appliction but I don’t feel like it, and I’ll blame you for “disallowing” to run it.

Add to that the newest invention of windows to spam you with random news, weather for different cities, constantly inventing new features that make running existing software worse (like the game bar); or apple trying to shove the game center down my throat at every turn or stupid subscription services (That is, for example fruit ninja can either be bought with adware and tracking or a 5€ subscription forever… No “let me just buy this game”, no that just won’t go)

That is why I consider Haiku to be queit, it does not want anything from me, it will only ask questions if they are crucial and related to what I am now doing.

10 Likes

Tried test code from tickets #18181, #18182. First it failed to link without explicitly adding -fPIC flag to shared libraries and second dlopen() always fails even is specify absolute path to shared library.

I feel that developing on Haiku is much easier then Linux. On Linux a lot of strange knowledge is needed to do something.

8 Likes

As a long time contributor to the ports, I like that I’m able to put my 2 cents in there, not being a developer :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I know I answered this thread already,but with the new Beta 4 I like Haiku even more than before.
I wasn’t using it much during the last half year or so,but now I’m thinking about finally switching full-time to Haiku.
I like its consistent and old-school user interface which lets you get things done without annoying you.
I like that it’s faster than any other OS I tried so far,usually taking less than 5 seconds to boot (both on SSD and HDD).
And while I much prefer native applications,I can’t deny that there simply isn’t a working native solution for every use-case and so I also like that Haiku runs Qt and now also GTK applications.
And ironically it’s very much better at this than Linux,for which these apps are primarily meant.
I think I’ll continue developing my own WebKit2GTK based browser on Haiku instead of FreeBSD if I manage to compile it here,which shouldn’t be a big deal with much more complex Gnome Web already working.

9 Likes

This is in no way meant as a criticism. It’s your life and your time and you are free to do with it as you wish.

However, I confess to being slightly disappointed by your post. You say you are going to continue developing your own browser. This reminds me so much of Linux. Everybody goes off and develops their own distro, rather than joining with others to make a really good one.

As I said, it’s entirely up to you what you do with your time, but what Haiku needs now more than anything else is one GOOD browser, not several not so good browsers. Browsers, as you know far better than me, are highly complex, and I am not optimistic that people working on their own can ever create a really good browser.

I’d love to hear that anybody with the skills and talent to produce a web browser would contribute to making Webpositive the great browser that Haiku desperately needs.

3 Likes

spent 2 weeks trying to debug a switch statement, on debian Linux cnc, decided to rewrite as jump table, no idea why it switch statement didn’t work either.

porting to haiku will be a long process, but a good one

the devs working on webpositive would love the help !!!. you can always refactor and rewrite and bring in code from GTK where webpositive is missing features etc

Missing break?

Not if the GPL license is used. MIT licensed code can be used by GPL but not the other way around without relicensing.

We can’t use GTK code in WebPositive and what can be shared in WebKit is already shared because it’s the same codebase already (we use the same WebKit sources). What’s missing needs to be written using Haiku native APIs…

3 Likes

That’s not as easy for me as you may think.
WebPositive needs much work on the native WebKit port to perform better and have more features.
And it’s written in C++,a language which is quite difficult and which I don’t have much experience with.
WebKit2GTK is already here with all of its features and performs great out of the box.
What I need to do is “just” writing a user interface around it that violates literally every point of GNOMEs Human Interface Guidelines and behaves like an actual desktop application instead of a phone app.
It’s a fork of the discontinued Midori project and written in Vala,which feels similar to Javascript,a language with which I have been working for more than 10 years.
And having a desktop-focused WebKit2GTK browser also benefits all users of Mate,Cinnamon,Xfce and other non-GNOME GTK desktops,not just Haiku.

I may try getting into native Haiku application development again some day as it’s really interesting for me,but I won’t do this with a project as big and complicated as WebKit,that would be overkill.

2 Likes

having GTK code as a template just to look at is a huge help.

no, it’s something else, ternary logic has trouble to. it’s the way code interacts with the hal subsystem. very prone to recusion and deadlocks. imagine all of your code had real time soft interrupts and everything was shoved into a single thread, and the code had to execute 100% top to bottom everytime the primary thread executed. it’s also compiling with their native hal component builder, which might be part of the issue. i rewrote it as a jump table and this seems to have cured the issues in my VM test rig. testing on real hardware today.

I’ve just setup a haiku pc build today, gonna start the porting process, once i get it building, I’m rewriting and refactoring a huge amount of the code to use bemessages and haikus threading model.

i already started on a basic gui.

1 Like

it’s easier to learn c++ then it is to work in layers of frameworks, and far less error prone, as painful as the learning curve is

Not really, in my experience, but maybe I didn’t spend enough time working on WebKit…

The design is so different that often there isn’t much to learn from it, or sometimes the code is there but it’s quite hard to understand (for example for cairo code, I’m still unable to understand how it works after years of trying to read it, and that explains some of the bugs in our app_server based drawing code).

3 Likes

I’ve been having a lot of success using gpt chat to explain code logic, provided the code is 100-200 lines long . if you ask it nicely, it’ll comment code for you and explain it, in detail.

huge help, absolutely enormous

2 Likes