What apps do you need on Haiku?

Some are already mentioned above

• Videolan/VLC or similar players (newest versions)

• Mainstream Browser with HTML5 support, Adblock etc. (Firefox or WebKit-based)

• 3D drivers/capabilities for multimedia and games. Other OS with a smaller audience have started to sponsor drivers. eg. AmigaOS and Radeon drivers:

http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2012-06-00073-DE.html

(Link in German)

Could there be another funding project for 3D drivers on Haiku? Or this already ongoing? I found these links

http://haikuware.com/20111221608/gallium-3d-bounty-accepted

http://haikuware.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=320&Itemid=71

Longer term, people could start writing 3D games and multimedia on Haiku, that would be great. To me, this was the strength of BeOS for endusers - great multimedia capabilities and responsivness.

I know that this is some time off, but one can dreamā€¦

PS: Iā€™m sure people would sponsor for 3D/multimedia development if needed.

Hi,

full agree with the applications Humdinger mentioned. Especially ClipUp is a useful little tool.
Iā€™d extend the List to the following:

• (a working) BeTeX/TeX package
  • (updated versions of) nmap, PortSentry, SnortMonitor
  • (a working) vnc client
  • (an optimised/updated) rdp client
  • LockWorkstation [!]
  • Refraction
  • goBe productive

As mature BeOS users can see, the applications are available yet, but a little bit outdated or do not work on HAIKU atm.
A few comments on this:

As iā€™m doing a lot of network stuff here i could need a working and stable vnc viewer, the one available starts one time and crashes, the second start goes directly into the debugger (and so on).

The rdesktop application works good, but i discover a problem which let me go crazy: i canā€™t force german keymap via following command:

rdesktop -g 1680x1050 -k de -u username hostname

because HAIKU rdesktop does not contain the -k Parameter, i get the us/en keymap layout, and thatā€™s annoying when i have to type in passwords for the remote machine which contains special chars and/or german Umlauts.

Well, and LockWorkstation (or an equal tool) is needed here, because i am not the only employee in this office, so a recompile or fixed build is very appreciated :wink:

I know that in case of goBe productive and Refraction the chances are not given but i hope dreaming is allowed :wink:

Anyway, the developers of HAIKU itself are doing a great job and so every byte is welcome!
Thank you again, devs!

prOSy

[quote=Humdinger]

• Tool: ClipUp (seems to crash Deskbar at times, GUI should be fixed to fit Haiku)
  • [/quote]

Did you have tried TextBank? http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/utilities/desktop-accessories/text-bank
    Works like ClipUp.

[quote=zipster]Some are already mentioned above
    Videolan/VLC or similar players (newest versions)
    [/quote]

Haikuā€™s MediaPlayer works very well! :slight_smile: Can reproduce many audio and video formats.
    And if you want to play an url, the current version of VLC can do it.

[quote=prOSy]Hi,

• (a working) vnc client
  • [/quote] I'm using VNC client on Haiku since two years and works without problem: http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/internet-network/remote-access/vnc-viewer

If it crash is due by config file.
    Iā€™m starting VNC using this simple script:

#!/bin/sh

rm /boot/home/config/settings/vnc.viewersettings
    cd /boot/apps/VNCViewer
    VNCViewer.net_server

BeLogin can act also as LockWorkstation:
    http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/utilities/miscellaneous/belogin

[quote=Giova84]Did you have tried TextBank?
    Works like ClipUp.[/quote]

Thanks for that tip! It does seem to work nicely indeed. (Another hint: Youā€™ll have to swap ALT/CTRL in TextBankā€™s preferences, if youā€™re using Haiku defaults). Maybe author SHINTA will work on the GUI a bit to have it fit better into Haiku. Actually, things like this and PecoRename should be integrated into the base Haiku, IMO.

Regards,
    Humdinger

Donā€™t know if games come across as important - but Iā€™d love to see Crayon Physics on Haiku. I know there is both windows and linux versions.

• http://www.crayonphysics.com/
    - and no I'm not somehow involved in it - just a fan.

According to my Linux package manager, the only dependencies are Qt, SDL, and OpenGL + Glew, all of which should be pretty well supported by Haiku already. If you ask nicely, maybe theyā€™ll consider it. :smiley:

Exactly! Unique software like this could help Haiku greatly.

• Virtualbox

I think this program is a key thing for new operating systems.

1. Multitrack Audio Editor
    2. Html5
    3. Presonus FP10 (Firepod) driver
    4. Festival TTS

Finally i got an Office app: ThinkFree (thanks to OpenJDK)

Haiku Office

Works quite well (but some functionality, like ā€œsave as pdfā€) still doesnā€™t workā€¦ But is stable and has some interesting and useful functionality, like autosave!

I have found it by google, on haikuware.ruā€¦ So many thanks to 3dEyes and to Hamish for OpenJDK port!

@Giova84

Nice to see that ThinkFree is still aroundā€¦ well itā€™s good to know that an office suite can be had on Haiku. Too bad Gobe Productive will be left behind :frowning:

If you need all those emulators and layers, what would be the point of using Haiku instead of Windows or Linux?

In other words, what is it about Haiku that makes you want to use it instead of an alternative operating system?[/quote]
    The fact that itā€™s free, light, and offers a UI thatā€™s free from the endless fiddling that plagues consumer operating systems.

Ideally, one could get along using all native apps, but the fact is that for the moment, there is no (full) native equivalent to, say, Photoshop, or Buzz, or what-have-you. Until such time as there is, having a Windows compatibility layer available would make a Haiku system orders of magnitude more usable than having to reboot into Windows every time one of those applications is needed.

[quote=Giova84][quote=ksiazkowicz]

• IM with support for Skype and XMPP/Jabber.[/quote]

If you use a client like Psi+ (support jabber servers) you can have skype as transport:

(iā€™m not related to jabbim.comā€¦ Is just an hint :slight_smile: )[/quote]
    Skype transport doesnā€™t support voice IM, so it wonā€™t solve my problem here. And I donā€™t really like Jabbim, for their ā€œpaid transportā€ thingy. It should be a free feature, like on other servers.

If you need all those emulators and layers, what would be the point of using Haiku instead of Windows or Linux?

In other words, what is it about Haiku that makes you want to use it instead of an alternative operating system?[/quote]
    I love Haiku, cause itā€™s light, free, simple and intuitive. Those layers and emulators would obviously be a temporary solution, I would actually replace the emulated apps with native alternatives as soon, as they emerge.

Btw. Office Web App on SkyDrive works quite nice under QupZilla, it solves one of my problems (lack of Microsoft Office).

Bare minimum would be WINE or VirtualBox, so I could run all the Windows apps that I need on Haiku and wait for native versions or alternatives. Eventually, it would be great to have some wrappers and similiar stuff to make Linux apps work (user-mode Linux or something like that), for example Linux emulation layer like in FreeBSD.

Currently, I would need:

• Dropbox client (Iā€™m working on it right now)
    • Nice browser with HTML5 support that doesnā€™t crash all the time, Opera port would be nice, but I donā€™t think itā€™s possible - WINE could help here, or Linux emulation layer.
    • IM with support for Skype and XMPP/Jabber. Skype port would be nice, but I donā€™t think it would be possible. Again, WINE or emulation layer. Caya is nice, but lacks a lot of features at the moment.
    • Flash Player (not really possible) or updated Gnash port. It would enable me to use imo.im as a Skype replacement.
    • Office 2010 or similiar stuff, Iā€™d really love an office app with Ribbon-like UI (I know everybody hates it, but I actually love that feature). WINE will suffice here, of course.
    • Photoshop. I donā€™t want an updated GIMP port, nothing will replace Photoshop. Although it would be nice to have Mono and Pinta here, I like that one. I donā€™t think that Photoshop port is even possible, but WINE would really help here.
    • UMPlayer would be nice, although I donā€™t think Iā€™ll need that one with Haikuā€™s Media Player.
    • Audio player with Last.fm support. I think I could use aTunes when the OpenJDK port is ready.
    • Hyperdesktop-like screenshot app. It would be great if I could just press one keyboard shortcut, select part of the screen, accept and have it automatically uploaded to Imgur, as I can on Windows.
      ā€¦ and a lot of other apps that I use from time to time and canā€™t even remember their names.

[quote=ksiazkowicz]

• IM with support for Skype and XMPP/Jabber.[/quote]

If you use a client like Psi+ (support jabber servers) you can have skype as transport:
    http://www.jabbim.com/vip-benefit.html

(iā€™m not related to jabbim.comā€¦ Is just an hint :slight_smile: )

In other words, what is it about Haiku that makes you want to use it instead of an alternative operating system?

I donā€™t miss too many apps when Iā€™m in Haiku, but of ones not mentioned thus far, I really miss having Sublime Text in Haiku. Yes, it is a closed source program, and may never see the light of day in Haiku, but I like it quite a lot. It is great for hacking away at code when you donā€™t feel like firing up a full-blown IDE, and in fact is much more useful most of the time for all of the coding/writing that I do.

It currently has Windows, Mac, and Linux versions, so I suppose getting it on Haiku would be doable. That said, I remember checking all of the dynamic libraries it links to, and I have my doubts it would be a trivial port for the guy who wrote it.

Iā€™ll likely ask him sometime if heā€™d consider porting/maintaining it to Haiku. It would help to know that Iā€™m not the only person that likes it though. :slight_smile:

Now i can also start (using OpenJDK files for Haiku and startup scripts)
    Memoranda:
    Memoranda

Jap/JonDo Anonymizer:
    Jap Anonymizer

If someone is interested, i can provide donwload links!