What apps do you need on Haiku?

This would be very nice; the lack of Ctrl-Tab in WebPositive is basically what I was referring to with regards to keyboard support.

[quote]

• Better history API, with press and hold history menus on the forward and back buttons.
  • Improved address box with the combined best features of Chrome, Firefox and other browsers.
[/quote] I would like to ask that, if you go adding functionality to the URL bar, you make it optional. As can be told by the existence of Firefox plugins like Old Location Bar, some of us would just like a simple, undecorated list of previous URLs and page titles and nothing more. I won't begrudge anyone their shiny new toys, I'd just like to be able to opt-out :)

Chaotic (which is Juce-based) or Ardour would be great.
ā€¦of course with proper multitrack audio-card driversā€¦

An NLE would be great too (or, as Sony Vegas, a combination DAW/NLE), IMHO.

Iā€™d also like to see VirtualBox on Haiku http://www.osnews.com/story/25665/Oracle_working_on_Haiku_port_of_VirtualBox_

And an image manipulation/editing software!
But for this software iā€™m hope in a fully working version of OpenJDK portingā€¦ For now i can launch some Java apps, and most of these, partiallyā€¦ Look this screenshot:

This is the app: http://www.jhlabs.com/ie/index.html

I feel kind of stupid asking an obvious question but, you mean something other than WonderBrush?

Yes: i mean something other than WonderBrush. WonderBrush is most a ā€œgraphicalā€ app. I mean something similar to Gimp, for photo retouching.

I agree, if by ā€œsimilar to Gimpā€ we mean ā€œsimilar to Photoshop, or like Gimp with a usable interface.ā€

Oh, and if weā€™re putting together a dream list for WebPositive, I would like to emphatically add ā€œJavascript whitelist.ā€ Mainly because Iā€™m a little baffled that QupZilla doesnā€™t include a NoScript-like feature and doesnā€™t seem to support Firefox plugins so I can add it myself.

The BeOS image editor ArtPaint is open source and on OSDrawer. Though Iā€™m inclined to see it moved somewhere nicer than OSDrawer. My apologies to any OSDrawer people who read this, but in my experience it has always sucked. Right now it isnā€™t even showing the pages with CSS.

Anyhow, it would likely be much less work to fix up ArtPaint than to try to port Gimp and the many, many other things it likely requires (GTK+ being one of the huge ones.) And if you can run a Java image editor with the OpenJDK work, great, but Iā€™m inclined to think a native solution will always be better.

I know itā€™s not an application per se, but FFADO and some sort of JACK integration would be really appreciated.
Also more audio editing applications and MIDI sequencers would really bring more support to this platform I feel.

[quote=leavengood]
The BeOS image editor ArtPaint is open source and on OSDrawer. Though Iā€™m inclined to see it moved somewhere nicer than OSDrawer. My apologies to any OSDrawer people who read this, but in my experience it has always sucked. Right now it isnā€™t even showing the pages with CSS.

Anyhow, it would likely be much less work to fix up ArtPaint than to try to port Gimp and the many, many other things it likely requires (GTK+ being one of the huge ones.) And if you can run a Java image editor with the OpenJDK work, great, but Iā€™m inclined to think a native solution will always be better.[/quote]

First of all: i didnā€™t know that ArtPaint is Opensource.

Yes: i use (sometimes) ArtPaint, but has some missing or incomplete features (eg: selector tool doesnā€™t work).
In the meanwhile (when OpenJDK port will be complete) i can use Java Image Editor while iā€™m waiting for a better and maybe native application :slight_smile:
And improve ArtPaint would be sure better, than to try to port Gimp, as youā€™ve said! Iā€™m agree.

[quote=Giova84]Yes: i use (sometimes) ArtPaint, but has some missing or incomplete features (eg: selector tool doesnā€™t work).
In the meanwhile (when OpenJDK port will be complete) i can use Java Image Editor while iā€™m waiting for a better and maybe native application :slight_smile:
And improve ArtPaint would be sure better, than to try to port Gimp, as youā€™ve said! Iā€™m agree.[/quote]

What is funny is that to me the Java Image Editor looks very much like ArtPaint. Though I personally really hate the multiple different windows design they both have and would likely want to change that in ArtPaint.

Speaking of that, I would personally love to fix up ArtPaint (and many other old BeOS apps which have been open sourced), but of course I donā€™t have the time to do all that I would like to do. And Iā€™m probably not alone in that among Haiku developers. I think the best thing we can do right now is keep working on Haiku, make it as good as we can and get R1 out so that hopefully other developers can be drawn in. Those new developers can then either clean up and improve applications like ArtPaint or write new ones.

But if anyone wants to get into Haiku development, resurrecting and cleaning up old BeOS applications for Haiku would be a great way to start. There are a lot of nice options there.

My list would be:

1. A complete gcc 4 package, able to compile all languages like fortran, objective-C, etcā€¦
  2. Octave, A fantastic math package, mostly compatible with matlab.
  3. Texlive (latex), Latex composer
  4. TexShop., GUI over latex
  5. LatexIt., nice GUI for slide oriented formula compositing (over latex)

I too didnā€™t know ArtPaint is open source.

I think there needs to be a list of ā€œfull featured open source BeOS applicationsā€ with source code hosted on an easy to access site for contributors to dive in to. I think the ones I know about so far are ArtPaint and Sawteeth. Where would be a good place for such a list? On Haikuware?

ā€¦And since someone brought up OSDrawer, Iā€™d like to complain about it too. I donā€™t know what the relationship is between the Haiku developers and OSDrawer. I donā€™t really mind that the website has always been slow and clunky for me, but now I donā€™t even have access to my own project there. So, I now use Sourceforge like I do for my other (non-Haiku) projects.

With Open JDK port java office suite ThinkFree Office became avalible. Screenshots from 3deyes:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4494939/ScreenShots/java_tf_register.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4494939/ScreenShots/java_tf_show.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4494939/ScreenShots/java_tf4_write.png

This is excellent news!

[quote=mtit]My list would be:
3. Texlive (latex), Latex composer
4. TexShop., GUI over latex
[/quote]

Not quite TexShop, but BeTeX + texlive may do it and is available - sort of:
http://pulkomandy.lexinfo.fr/~texlive/

Regarding Octave, did you tried the BeOS one (search octave on haikuware.com)?
Alas, in order to port a newer one, one will need first a fortran compiler, which we donā€™t have yet.

There is also a GNU Plots available somewhere, again from BeOS era. May still works, though.

[quote=Humdinger]
Tool: ClipUp (seems to crash Deskbar at times, GUI should be fixed to fit Haiku)[/quote]

For what it is worth that is on my list of apps to update, but it likely wonā€™t happen anytime soon. But sometimes doing simple things like cleaning up older applications like that is a nice change of pace from harder Haiku work. Now that Iā€™m using a Mac for work Iā€™m getting ideas for other little apps and utilities for Haiku too.

1. apps that handle dial up networking.
  2. simple but powerfull image manipulation program like Paint.NET
  3. maybe desktop blogging app

Iā€™d like to see these apps being created/updated/bugfixed and continuously improved:

• Audio editor: e.g. ColdCut (saving crashes the app...)
  • Video editor: e.g. Clockwerk (-> "installoptionalpackage clockwerk")
  • Graphics editor: WonderBrush (included in Haiku images)
  • Tool: PecoRename (drawing fixes, bugfixes)
  • Tool: ArmyKnife (support for cover images in id3)
  • Tool: ClipUp (seems to crash Deskbar at times, GUI should be fixed to fit Haiku)
  • Tool: e.g. BeScreenCapture (or something like it to record the screen for video tutorials)

Regards,
Humdinger

1 Like

[quote=Humdinger]Iā€™d like to see these apps being created/updated/bugfixed and continuously improved:

• Audio editor: e.g. ColdCut (saving crashes the app...)
  • [/quote] ...what about BeAE instead ?

uhmmmmā€¦

HyperEngine-AV was great too, but the way to go is to port a platform-indipendent library like Juce, IMHO.