What apps do you need on Haiku?

Gimp is a really good program, there is no doubt about that.

But it would be nice if people do not always ask for program that there are on other systems, but would sometimes deal with the programs that already exist. Wonderbrush is hard for me to understand because i have not enough expirience with working with layers, but this is where people could start with simple tutorials instead of asking for alternatives. I think Wonderbrush is worth a look and people who are familiar with layers would get ahead quickly.

There was a old port of gimp back in beos times, but it needs x11.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve read some good things about Wonderbrush. Never really used it because itā€™s not available (as far as I know) on 64bit Haiku which I mainly use. I do have a VM with 32bit Haiku around, will take a look at it.

On the whole ā€œnative vs. ported appsā€ topic: I understand the arguments for both sides, itĀ“s really nice to use native apps that are well integrated with the operating system. On the other hand I have to say Iā€™m a big fan of cross-platform apps. I use Linux, OSX (or whatever it is named at the moment) , Windows, and Haiku. Depending on where I am and which computer I have at hand. So I have to learn how to use the application only once and can use it on all my computers. And can use and edit the files that Iā€™ve previously created.
To sum it all up, I think it its not about native vs. ported but its good to have both, the more the better.

Any particular reason you only run 64bit Haiku? You know 32bit Haiku has PAE so you can actually use much if the ram in a 64bit system though less per application.

Iā€™m developing a video editor for Haiku, each frame @1920x1080 uses 8Mb of RAM (images do get uncompressed), or 240Mb for 1 second worth of video. For 4K videos, memory requirements are *4. With only 2Gb available for 32 bit applications, you only have 3 seconds worth of video cached, which makes scrubbing an unpleasant experience. I will not be doing a 32 bit version of the editor since itā€™s pointless, especially considering that for the last decade you cannot even buy a box with less than 8Gb RAM. And I dont expect anyone to use 720x576 or similar resolutions.

1 Like

amazon .com: 1-24 of over 5,000 results for Electronics : Computers & Accessories : Computers & Tablets : Laptops : Computer RAM Capacity: 4 selected: ā€œlaptopā€

Not only there are PCs with 4GB RAM or less, built in 2018 and recent years, but some of them canā€™t even be upgraded because the manufacturers made it technically impossible. And 720p is not unusual at all. People have phones and digital cameras that shoot at that resolution. I donā€™t think they all need video editing, but certainly some do.

Video editing needs many RAM so it is ok is there is a minimum range set. If you buy a Editor you need to have the right Hardware too. I does not can do it everyone right

I can understand you, but for the moment it would be helping more to have tutorials of available apps, as waiting for a port

I would love to see all available emulators running again right in haiku:

euae, c64, psone, ps2, sega, atari, dosā€¦

and support for:

joysticks (not only in SDL), gamepads, PSone/PS2 adapter/usbā€¦

As in Linux and Windows the king was Xbox360 controller and hardware mapping using its driver, i would make it one of the supported hardware if talking about gamepads.

Iirc, ps4 dualshock 4 pad could be used in Linux through this driver too.

I tried the following emulators, and all works well:
euae
VICE (c64)
Dosbox

for Sega machines (and others), you can use mednafen

About the joypad support, Iā€™m sure in mednafen works. Not sure about the rest.
If you need help, aske me.

PPSSPP emulator works fine: OpenMW (Morowind) and other 3d games

4 Likes

Joystick/gamepad support works. SDL uses the native drivers. So if it works in SDL it will work elsewhere.
If your particular device doesnā€™t work, please submit a bugreport.

Well, itĀ“s probably not the most technical reason, especially as my main haiku machine has only 2GB of RAM. But 64bit Haiku seemed cleaner and easier for me to use because I donĀ“t have to remember to type setarch x86 before compiling anything. Also with the libraries in haikudepot, you always have the libraries double, for gcc2 and the modern gcc (7 at the moment).
But as I said I have a 32bit Haiku VM because I wanted to test TrackGit, which atm only compiles with gcc2. So Iā€™m going to boot up that vm and take a look at Wonderbrush.

I test usb joystick with ppsspp emulator - works fine.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if thereā€™s a list of apps only available on 32 bit Haiku that need modest code rewrites and recompile on 64 bit?

Are these purely on the ports site, or are there some apps considered ā€˜coreā€™ or ā€˜featuredā€™ in Haiku Depot that are missing on the 64 bit version?

Being new here, and only running on 64 bit, Iā€™m not sure what the above answers are. Creating modest modifications to apps and getting them to recompile in 64-bit sounds like something I could do on the train to London when bored thoughā€¦

Steam running on haiku? I would not ask for anything else in life ā€¦ I have haiku a good few years and I can say with joy that of all the systems I have used it has been the best.

A way to get a list of software thatā€™s not available on 64bit is to grep through the haikuports recipes for ā€œ!x86_64ā€ and ā€œ?x86_64ā€ (adjust your haikuports path):

find /Source-HP/haikuports/* -maxdepth 2 -name *.recipe | xargs grep [\!\?]x86_64

Of course, then itā€™s a matter of finding out whatā€™s the issue. Is it a dependency missing for 64bit thatā€™ll have to be tackled first? Or is it just a matter of patching a few locations in the code? The fun beginsā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for that. Looks like there a lot (350 ports)ā€¦ I wonder if ?x86_64 means doesnā€™t support though - there are a number of recipes with just that in the architecture line.

There are 55 recipes that explicitly have !x86_64. Includes postgres, abiword, gdb (! v7.7, but 8.1 is the latest), tuxracer (surely a priority? ;o) ), archiver, artpaint, jammin, projectconceptor, sgebrush, ffmpeg (weirdā€¦ v0.10.16) and llvm (v6.0.1 - the latest recipe).

Looks like some of the 55 just have one of the several version recipes that donā€™t do 64 bitā€¦ So the find/grep mechanism doesnā€™t necessarily give the status of the latest recipe. It also of course doesnā€™t tell us if the recipe that exists is for the latest version of the library/app available.

Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s worth writing a quick bash script to extract the SOURCE_URI from the highest version number port recipe file for each package, then listing the remote folder (or git repo) above the source download file, and determine the latest version number, then give a report on which ports are the latest or not.

ā€¦ useful? (Have I just volunteered myself for a job?)

So I thought I was on a winner for this. Some sites, like gnu.org, you can list the source packageā€™s parent folder and therefore grep its content to determine if thereā€™s a more recent version.

The problem is, not a lot of packages allow listing of the parent folder, or the parent folder is just a website - not an ftp like folder listing.

So for GNU hosted packages or git folders itā€™s possible to automate discovery of the latest version, but not for more packages that are just hosted at a random URL.

The HaikuPorts wiki has a link to Repology where you can see if thereā€™s a newer version of a package. They offer an API and the HDS provides the version of a package which a talented and industrious web coder could use in collaboration with some cunning scriptingā€¦

OTOH, people interested in using some library or porting an app depending on some version of it, will speak up if they need a newer version. Then they either try to update the recipe themselves or open an issue at haikuportsā€¦