What apps do you need on Haiku?

Haven’t been there, busy with other things, could you check out the package and see if anything is missing/obsolete?

Something modern with the functionality of BeCJK, which doesn’t really work for me, at least for Japanese. The interface isn’t great either.

A neko project 2 port would also be nice.
edit: both of these have been done.

I think Japanese users use Canna or (more likely) mozc for JP input. There is a guide here: 雑記帳2022: Haiku R1 Beta3 で日本語を使う / Using Japanese in Haiku R1 Beta3

3 Likes

OpenToonz, an app with a QT support

Could we possibly include that in the official documentation? I think there was a Japanese reviewer who couldn’t figure out how to use Japanese in Haiku, so having that in the official documentation would greatly help.

3 Likes

For me its

• good Webbrowser
  • good Emailclient in terms of reliability
  • good C++ IDE, perfect would be Eclipse(Qt creator can work too)
  • BSD/*Nix userland which Haiku has(svn, git, g++, diff …)
  • 3D hardware acceleration
  • Blender
  • Screen still or video capture
  • Doxygen
  • FTP transfer tool like FTPPositive
  • Later: GIMP (or similar Haiku app)
  • Later: LibreOffice (or similar Haiku app)
  • Later: USB audio with multi channel support
  • Later: Bluetooth audio
  • Later: Some audio editor like AudaCity (or similar Haiku app)
  • Later: Audio harddisc recording studio
  • Later: Video editing
  • Later: Webcam support

This is my list. I love you guys. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

My List :

1. A word processor (LibreOffice)
  2. A web browser
  3. A good IDE
  4. Compilers (Rust, C, C++, ASM)
  5. Krita
1 Like

These lists are hard to read because you get the feeling that haiku has no programs. Of course you also write down what you have when it comes to what you need, but outsiders never read properly and then it says afterwards that there is no office (Libre Office) or 3d construction program (Blender) … :wink:

Maybe we should turn it into a new discussion, e.g. Which apps do you need in 2022?
A lot is already available and most of it is therefore already outdated.

Better hardware support (also 3d graphics).
Good working Wine.
Better security.
More stable system.
Gui style themes.
Hidpi support.
Uefi support.

2 Likes

A few of these are already ported/working…

2 Likes

How about adding a short paragraph to the Welcome page, under “Installing more software”, like:

A localized Haiku

Haiku has been translated to dozens of languages and supports a multitude of keymaps. When booting Haiku for the first time you can set language and keymap. These settings can be changed at any time with the Locale and Keymap preferences.

The HaikuDepot application offers a number of input methods for Chinese, Japanese and Korean to download and install.

I’m also considering adding a small info-box to the Keymap chapter of the user guide, hinting to the input methods available through HaikuDepot.

And I’m looking into promoting the mozc input method into the featured packages of HaikuDepot, if that is the most widely used method.

1 Like
  1. Apple Music + drivers for my sound card
  2. A good web browser (for Netflix and other services)
  3. Emacs :ballot_box_with_check:
  1. hhtracks - website copy tool HTTrack Website Copier - Free Software Offline Browser (GNU GPL)
  2. Pixel32 “back to Haiku” http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel
  3. A way to optimal run beos on Haiku (good speed and running old software/games)
  4. A way to optimal run Zeta on haiku (good speed and running old software/game)
  5. Running 32bit software on 64bit system
1 Like
  • A native Matrix (messaging) client
    • Chat-O-Matic may be a good starting point,they even started Matrix protocol support but it’s not in a usable state yet
  • A native office suite
    • Or alternatively a ported word processor which is small and lightweight with only the essential features,LibreOffice is too big and bloated for me (something like Abiword,but without GTK)
  • A native usenet newsreader
    • There’s NewsBe,but it doesn’t work on 64bit and hasn’t seen much work recently,maybe I could look into it some day
  • Make QtWebEngine and Falkon more stable
  • (Only dreaming…) Firefox would be really useful,but I know and accept that it won’t happen
2 Likes

Haven’t tried yet, but does music.apple.com work under WebPositive or other browsers?

Netflix is unlikely because of DRM limitations.

Apple Music in the browser requires Widevine.
Screenshot 2022-01-13 at 11.29.37

1 Like

I really would like to see binary compatibility with 32-bit BeOS applications on 64-bit Haiku. I feel like it’s a big part of Haiku’s legacy. This would also remove the need to maintain 32-bit ISOs.

12 Likes

I adapted the code for NewsBe and nettle (the network library that it needs) to compile under modern gcc. Also works on x86_64. Already submitted as pull requests to HaikuArchives.

The program has some other issues already reported on GitHub. I don’t know how motivated I am to continue much further as I don’t use Usenet groups anymore (didn’t even know they still existed, loved Usenet back in the days). But at least I want to fix the error with the missing config file that occurs on startup.

EDIT: Both pull requests are merged. After compiling nettle you have to copy the library (in the lib directory) and the header files (in the include directory) to the appropriate places in the non-packaged hierarchy.Headers go to /boot/system/non-packaged/develop/headers and the library (.so file) goes to /boot/system/non-packaged/develop/lib and /boot/system/non_packaged/lib

1 Like

Really this should be in the release images and enabled by default if the user selects a corresponding keyboard layout in FirstBootPrompt.

5 Likes

I agree 100%. There’s ticket #15834 to track the progress here. But until it’s actually implemented, a bit of help from the Welcome page etc. may be a good idea.

1 Like