What apps do you need on Haiku?

isn’t adb just plain old UNIX APIs and libusb? I would expect it to be portable without too much efforts.

At least for Windows, adb also needs some per-manufacturer drivers installed on the system. As for Unix-based systems (e.g. Linux, macOS), /dev rules are required to allow it to talk with devices. That is as much as I know about it. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can drop in and tell us more.

Pretty sure the windows drivers are just to add inf files for the USB serial functionality…

@PulkoMandy, Who is spearheading this?

Someone should give a try (maybe I’ll put this on my test list too). Never cared about it beyond normal usage as non developer.

My vote on that being the fact.

i confir lack of apps, THERE’S NO VIRTUAL BOX, NO QEMU ACELERATED, and vmware are so limited!

there’s more but with that, are enought!!!

VirtualBox guest additions are available only on x86 flavour

and pls be polite and don’t shout

This would be a very modern feature, but there’re plenty of more hi-priority things to add before this IMHO

don’t forget that such kind of cloud-based prefs wallet carries on a lot of infrastructural works as a payload. Security, privacy and server capacity just to say ones.

Well the way I’d go about that is to do something like create a NetFS server over SSL and only store encrypted data to it perhaps with an API in the NetworkKit to upload encrypted data? Each user login getting a 1MB quota guaranteed for certain files etc… and the ability to use it as a file drop space for temporary files. An 8 TB disk is only $210 a pair for $420 these day’s and that would support 8k+ users with redundancy.

Haiku could charge a few bucks if they wanted to get into the Cloud storage business with expanded archival storage (or let a 3rd party do it that pays a percentage back). Honestly this is one off the current drawbacks to Haiku no built in backup solution, even windows has that … ahem sort of. I think this has burned a lot of developers in the past too where they’ve lost hardware and didn’t have a backup.

what? guest additions! i need VIRTUAL BOX I WANT TO VIRTUALIZE! not make virtual! i want touse haiku as main OS but lack of important apps made it impossible!

i want a working good pcsxr emulator and a pcsx2 emulator! a capable virtual environment with haiku as main OS not as virtual OS!

As a stop-gap solution, in Haiku you can use this script to send and receive files to a Dropbox account:

You know this is an open source project right? Shouting about a lack of something is not the most effective way of getting what you want.

If you want to help, pick up a compiler and get coding. Otherwise feel free to request features, but shouting loudest isn’t going to convince anyone to help you out.

It’s a community project done in everyone’s (severely lacking) spare time at the end of the day.

7 Likes

yeah that’s right @adamfowleruk but the problem its that one only men like me are not enought, must be all in collaboration, but i noted there’s no focus in those apps missing from haiku!

i have enought eperience with “make it yourselft” triying and puff no more… must be in collaboration! and here there’s no focus on those apps… the most important for me are the virtualbox due have very easy to use user interface and management tools

And likewise “shouting” at people making suggestions for improvements to an open source project is equally futile :P. People who will contribute will continue to do so and pestering people on the forum isn’t going to change that. At some point it just becomes line noise… also thought you were posting at me when I wrote this and it made me a bit grumpy sorry for that.

If anything something that can cause a project to grind to a halt is lack of ideas and methods of generating funding.

Also I kind of doubt we’ll get native virtualbox support… I wonder if our crosspolination with FreeBSD would lend itself to porting http://www.bhyve.org/ … Haiku could of course call a GUI front end for that BeHyve :smiley:

Maybe then we could have docker packages on Haiku (trying vainly to stay on topic).

Just port it, mate.

1 Like

alternatively, consider donating some bucks to the project. This could help hiring a paid dev to perform complex tasks like this.

3 Likes

Wow, i only hear i want this and that, thats your part in this community? If this all is so important for you and you like haiku so much, just learn programming and help to make haiku better.

1 Like

The Haiku Installer also seems to work as a way to do full backups. Just select a different target device to “install” to.

Very true, but that isn’t really a continuous backup solution like available elsewhere.

Honestly, there are enough applications on Haiku for me to use it as a daily driver! The only applications that would be nice would be a mainstream web browser (a qtwebengine port looks to be in the works so that might come soon™) and a file syncing application. I’m trying to compile MEGASync at the moment, how hard can it be :slight_smile:
Everything else is just things like EMMC drivers and proper GPU drivers so I can use dual monitors.

The Haiku team has done an excellent job and only hope it gets better!

As an aside, I’ve noticed that there is no port of gtk2/3; is there a particular reason for this? Technical/licensing/it’s really big and no-one has had the time or patience to get it working?