VRML , X3D , simulations, visualizations, 3D games

Is there a VRML (X3D) format program for Haiku? Maybe some port from Linux?

What is your use case for VRMLs in 2023? I use it ad-hoc once in every 5 yearsjust to remember how bad is it for system-neutral cad file format.

Blender is in Haiku Depot, and there apparently is an add-on for VRML support. I have not tested this personally.

Yes, my dear colleagues
I am thinking about using X3D (VMRL) to generate simulations of the operation of scada-type industrial processes. At this point I’m doing a little research. I know that VMRL will look a bit poor, e.g. no textures, but personally it would be enough for such a project.
I know that there is a lot of competition from QT (QML), but the openness of the VMRL format means that it can also be used in a web browser.
You need a code generator and a scene viewer, I could use Blender, but it seems to be too large an application.
That’s why I repeat my question. Can Haiku bear this burden of 3D applications?

5 posts were split to a new topic: High-performance 3D on Haiku

If you’re developing anything new right now, there are more commonly supported 3d formats nowadays, such as Collada, OBJ, FBX (not recommended for open source since Autodesk sits on it), or recently USD.

With Pixar’s USD SDK (not sure if it’s ported already), you could even take advantage of their hardware renderer called Hydra and also enjoy interoperability with content creation software like Blender or Maya.

Whether Haiku with its software rendering is up to the task depends on the complexity of your scenes, but you certainly have more options as well as hardware acceleration on more mainstream platforms. If your software is based on QT, nothing would prevent you from porting it to Haiku once 3d acceleration is merged.

1 Like

Thanks, you opened my eyes a bit.
In the case of X3D, you could try to use graphics “cards” used in ARM SBCs, e.g. Mali, because X3D does not require high computational complexity.